cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progressive RV Insurance requires you to have another car?

jeffc2023
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate your advice. I have a 2000 Freightliner MT45 step van that I converted myself and I'm shopping around for RV insurance. I came across a good deal from Progressive for full time RV insurance and I meet all the requirements EXCEPT for one statement:
I confirm that any motorhome listed on this quote:
Is not the only registered motor vehicle in the household.

I talked to an agent and he said that I basically have to own another vehicle, but I don't have to provide any further details to start the quote.

Does anyone have experience with this requirement by Progressive? Basically what I'm concerned about is if I have this policy without a second vehicle that I own and I make a claim, will Progressive ask about my second vehicle and potentially deny my entire claim?

Thanks for any advice,
Jeff
24 REPLIES 24

obie311
Explorer
Explorer

The Freightliner is a good vehicle. Don't forget that a street legal, licensed scooter or motorcycle is a motor vehicle as well. Get you a trailer and haul the moto on your travels. They will come in handy for getting supplies or sightseeing while your RV is docked at a site. Plus Progressive is using Flo to push motocycle insurance.

Again, if you are going to play games that deviate from the clear intent, best let the insurance company know exactly what you are doing and get confirmation, they accept it. Otherwise, they can claim you lied on the application and have a good shot at winning any resulting legal case.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III

Maybe it's in the interpretation of what Progressive is asking. From reading what's posted, no where does it say the vehicle must be running and/or otherwise operative. So, you could own another vehicle that is "garaged" at a relative's house. When we went full timing, I didn't want to sell my 33 coupe so I stored it at my son's house.

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm wrote:

Well yes.. I was addressing the Company policy. not the possibility a client would lie and say "yes I have another vehicle"

Of course I always had another vehicle.. A very nice Bicycle.
(Human powered type). (I also did not have progressive on the RV).
I would suggest Fraud is still very much in play and you may be leading the OP astray. Per the OP’s quote in his original post, the question asked about a “motor vehicle”. I doubt a bicycle (even an ebike) meets the laws definition for “motor vehicle” anywhere. For instance, refer to MCLA 257.33 Clicky
With your background I would think you know what a motor vehicle is.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
SJ-Chris wrote:
How about this...perhaps look for a LEGAL workaround that still gets you what you want/need. If the question is about whether or not you have another REGISTERED vehicle in the household, then what would be the LEAST expensive way to answer that truthfully? Would a motorcycle or even an old motorized scooter count as a "vehicle"? If so, can you buy a VERY inexpensive (...I'm not even sure if it would need to be functional) motorcycle and register it with the DMV? (Note: From what you provided us, it doesn't even ask if you have this extra "vehicle" insured or not...just "registered"). I believe registering a motorcycle is much less than a car. Maybe you could buy a pile of parts motorcycle for $100 and register it for very little and then you can answer the question from Progressive truthfully. Then, make sure you keep it registered. Just a thought. Even this is a bit "off" in my mind, but at least you would be able to honestly say that you answered their application question truthfully.

Do not lie on your application...it could turn out very badly for you and your family.

Good luck!
Chris

Even this gets pretty sketchy. If it was done clearly with the intent to mislead...they may still call it fraud and the court may agree.

Better to buy a $500 beater that runs...and ask for confirmation in writing that your plan is acceptable. If you get an email back that it's good, nothing to worry about.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rk911 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
I do not think it is fraud.
I think they don't want you using your rather expensive RV as a "Daily Driver" and want to be sure you have a "Daily Driver" for things like going to Church on Sunday or running to the store for a pound of hotdogs.

It's fraud IF the OP claims to have a non-existing second vehicle in order to qualify for the policy and then submits a claim under that policy.

Well yes.. I was addressing the Company policy. not the possibility a client would lie and say "yes I have another vehicle"

Of course I always had another vehicle.. A very nice Bicycle.
(Human powered type). (I also did not have progressive on the RV).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
Do they "REQUIRE" another car, or were they asking to apply a two vehicle discount?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I had my Classic cars, the insurance was very cheap compared to the coverage I got. To get that very cheap rate I had to show that I had another vehicle, insured by another company, to be used as my daily driver. I believe that I had to have two OTHER vehicles since my wife and I were both licensed drivers. Basically I had no mileage limits for my Classics but they also did not want me driving them every day. Standard coverage was zero deductible and agreed upon coverage of well over $100K on some of my cars. I could see their point because repairing a classic can be very expensive. My choice and I could have paid more from a standard insurance company and used a classic for my daily driver. I wonder what they would have considered to be the depreciated value of my 1957 Chevy convertible if it was totaled? I believe the new, from the factory price, was around $2500. :B

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
jeffc2023 wrote:
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate your advice. I have a 2000 Freightliner MT45 step van that I converted myself and I'm shopping around for RV insurance. I came across a good deal from Progressive for full time RV insurance and I meet all the requirements EXCEPT for one statement:
I confirm that any motorhome listed on this quote:
Is not the only registered motor vehicle in the household.

I talked to an agent and he said that I basically have to own another vehicle, but I don't have to provide any further details to start the quote.

Does anyone have experience with this requirement by Progressive? Basically what I'm concerned about is if I have this policy without a second vehicle that I own and I make a claim, will Progressive ask about my second vehicle and potentially deny my entire claim?

Thanks for any advice,
Jeff

If you LIE on your application, you should EXPECT that your policy isn't going to cover you in the event of any claim. Which is kind of like not having insurance at all. Lying on your application IS insurance fraud. End of discussion. Whether or not you get caught for it, well that's a different question.

You want insurance mostly to cover you in the event something BIG (aka expensive) happens. Unfortunately, if something BIG happens that is when the insurance company will absolutely look for ways to not pay you. That is their right, if their findings (ie. lied on an application) are justified.

Imagine for a minute YOU buy stock and invest YOUR money in an insurance company. YOU benefit (increased stock price) based partially on the company's profitability. Would YOU want that insurance company to pay out claims for accidents to customers who LIED on their application (committed insurance fraud) and were stealing from the insurance company (...because the amount they were paying for insurance was less than the risk the insurance company was exposed to because, in this instance, the RV was used as a daily driver)? I wouldn't.

(side note: I don't have a love for insurance companies, but they are in business to make money)

How about this...perhaps look for a LEGAL workaround that still gets you what you want/need. If the question is about whether or not you have another REGISTERED vehicle in the household, then what would be the LEAST expensive way to answer that truthfully? Would a motorcycle or even an old motorized scooter count as a "vehicle"? If so, can you buy a VERY inexpensive (...I'm not even sure if it would need to be functional) motorcycle and register it with the DMV? (Note: From what you provided us, it doesn't even ask if you have this extra "vehicle" insured or not...just "registered"). I believe registering a motorcycle is much less than a car. Maybe you could buy a pile of parts motorcycle for $100 and register it for very little and then you can answer the question from Progressive truthfully. Then, make sure you keep it registered. Just a thought. Even this is a bit "off" in my mind, but at least you would be able to honestly say that you answered their application question truthfully.

Do not lie on your application...it could turn out very badly for you and your family.

Good luck!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Maybe it's state by state, but our progressive policy requires the MH to have it's own policy. It cannot be bundled with any other vehicle. Little different than what the OP is saying. Likely they don't want your RV be to your only mode of transportation. Op hasn't returned since the original post so it doesn't seem like we have any more information.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
There's another thing here that might be relevant. Progressive has a multi-vehicle discount on their policies. I have Progressive on my RV and I get a discount because my motorcycle is also insured by them.

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
Maybe RV insurance is less expensive than auto insurance in some areas but not for us.
Well, the replacement value for any vehicle goes straight to what it will cost to insure it - more expensive RV, higher insurance premiums - and location figures into it too.

But in our case, the annual cost to insure our TWO non-rv vehicles is close to what we're paying for our ONE RV, so the RV coverage is definitely not cheaper.

Edit: And to the OP's question, I have Progressive ins on our RV, and I can't recall ever seeing that question asked. Curious.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Interesting. But yes each state has its own insurance laws and how they enforce them.
For example Florida is far more stringent than WA, yet seemingly less expensive (comparing 1 vehicle whether to keep it licensed and insured here or there).
And then the price varies by location and risk.
But it would make little sense to license and register the OPs vehicle as a RV here (he lives here) as licensing fees are all reasonable, unless the insurance was cheaper.
Doubt he’s getting a stated value policy to cover the diy buildout, as that would be difficult and wouldn’t be worthwhile unless he did a very complete and professional buildout and had a lot of big $ components sunk into it.

Of course by law, shouldn’t be using a RV plated vehicle as a DD either. But up here, the fact that he’s insuring it which alludes to also titling and licensing it puts him ahead of 99% of the motorhomeless vehicle drivers and he’d never get hasseled for it. Not under the current state administration anyways…
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
I do not think it is fraud.
I think they don't want you using your rather expensive RV as a "Daily Driver" and want to be sure you have a "Daily Driver" for things like going to Church on Sunday or running to the store for a pound of hotdogs.

Bingo. This and nothing more.
And the OP and people like him are the reason they have this “rule” as RV insurance is way less $ than auto insurance just like pleasure vehicles are less than daily drivers...

Maybe RV insurance is less expensive than auto insurance in some areas but not for us. The most recent annual premium on 2016 40' (39' and change) class A gasser was $1159. Collectively, the most recent premiums on our three other vehicles ('46 Willys, 2010 Jeep Liberty, 2023 Jeep Wrangler) were $1872. The most expensive annual of the three, the Liberty, was $763. All vehicles have full coverage and other than some comprehensive hail damage on the Liberty there have been no claims.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle