cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problems filling gas tank

robrv3
Explorer
Explorer
I had problems filling my tank took forever cause the nozzle kept shutting off no matter how I held the pump handle I could put gas in one squirt at a time I experienced this at 2 gas stations. The gas stations I normally use near my house are okay except I need to lift the handle up otherwise I can pump at full speed. So for me its a pump dependent issue to me the tub from the gas cap to the tank seems awfully narrow about 1", must be part of the issue. This is a 2014 Coachmen Freelander
Below I a picture comparing the gas pipe from the gas cap to the tank to a quarter
10 REPLIES 10

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
On ours (signature) it's ten feet from the filler in the coach wall, up to where the gasoline enters the tank. Then the vent comes back that ten feet. I think they did that to keep the filler as far as they could, away from the fridge. That doesn't help matters, and the lines are nearly level.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had this problem once only on a E450 superduty and it was the gas station pumps too fast - people could not figure out why the pump cut out straight away and suggested to a few that they had to fill with hand on the trigger slowly which worked. So look around if it occurs again and see if others have a problem.
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is the stock fuel fill line on the Express,it is delivered to the RV Mfg that way. I don't think that the RV Mfg will do anything.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

robrv3
Explorer
Explorer
Below is a pic comparing the gas line from my gas cap to the tank to a quarter. Maybe I should contact Coachmen to see if they have a fix for this

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Yep not to mention in that narrow tube fuel line going to the tank there is also the little 1/4 inch metal line that feeds the generator !

Someone actually said they drove up on leveling blocks on the drivers side front and back wheels at the pump to get a better angle , I never tried it...

robrv3
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS
Yes it's a Chevy chassis and yes the tube from the gas cap to the tank looks almost horizontal and is only 1" in diameter which seams too narrow to me

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There's a hole at the bottom of the filler Nozzle near the end that causes the pump to shut off.
Holding the nozzle so it's a bit sideways or not all the way down in the opening will help your situation.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Robrv3
By chance on the Chevy chassis ?
Both my last two MH's were on the Chevy chassis and the fuel line from the filler nozzle to the tank were almost flat horizontal to tilted the wrong way !

I noticed that when I filled up at most Chevrons I didn't have a problem, but when I filled up at Arco's ,76,and Shell ,,, click click click stand there and hold the pump nozzle turning it in every direction for 15 minutes to fill it up.

Someone else mentioned what Burghcoder said about checking the vent hose.

Also the picture IAMICHABOD posted look close at the filler opening and the pump nozzle sometimes the vapor recovery hose over the actual fuel pipe doesn't get collapsed enough to seal and will cause the same thing...

burghcoder
Explorer
Explorer
We actually had the same issue. We had to fix the vent base that connected from the filler cap to the gas tank. It had developed a kink.

Might want to check that. You should be able to see it under the rig right behind the gas filler cap.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,like you sometimes have a problem with filling my tank on my Class C. Everything checks out OK but I have found that if I hold the nozzle at a 45 degree toward the rear of the Motorhome I have no problems.

I also have the same problem on my GMC Yukon the trick also works on it too.

I have also found that some stations it can be a problem,Example,the older Sams Club here I have a problem but at our New Costco not so much.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C