cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible insurance discount for having a CDL license

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
I have all of my vehicles, including the motorhome, insured with Geico. I was talking with an agent today and the subject of driver’s licenses came up. I live in NV and have a non-commercial Class B license.

While she was reviewing the discounts I was already receiving, she made a comment that if I had I standard commercial driver’s license (CDL) I would be entitled to an additional discount. When I questioned her on her statement, she explained that they give the discount to CDL holders in recognition of their additional training and testing, but of course the insurance coverage only applies to those that are operating a qualifying RV for personal use.

She told me if I had a CDL the discount would be $100 per year, so I said I might look into it to see if it made sense as I believe all I would need is an annual physical, which at my age I do anyway.

She then asked me if I could hold for minute, to which I agreed. When she came back on the line she told me she had received approval to give me the discount without having to obtain a CDL.

So for those of you that have a non-commercial class license, particularly with Geico, you might want to check and see if this discount is available to you. I realize it’s not much, but every little bit helps.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
19 REPLIES 19

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I switched to AutoOwners Insurance for my RV a few years ago, they asked how many miles I have logged in RV's.
Basically they were concerned if I was a new RV owner or a long time owner without any claims after many miles of travel. I got the maximum discount based on my miles driven. As long as I have a valid driver's license, driving experience seemed to be their criteria for discounts.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
mpierce wrote:
I have a 40' Bluebird. Both my wife and I have full ClassA CDL's, and we get a discount on the RV.

Do you mind telling us which insurance company you're with?

Blue Sky

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
I'm a retired OTR Truckdriver and I still have my CDL after 5 years of retirement and, if your not driving professionally you are not required to take the annual health test. On my CDL there is a restriction on my license saying I need to take a health test (physical) before I can go back out on the road again driving professionally. I have a current CDL and I haven't taken the drivers physical in 5 years. Just wanted to clear that up. I also have Geico Insurance and I've taken the Smith System Driving Course which also gave me a discount.

Are you getting the CDL license discount that they offer?

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
I have a 40' Bluebird. Both my wife and I have full ClassA CDL's, and we get a discount on the RV.

Do you mind telling us which insurance company you're with?

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a retired OTR Truckdriver and I still have my CDL after 5 years of retirement and, if your not driving professionally you are not required to take the annual health test. On my CDL there is a restriction on my license saying I need to take a health test (physical) before I can go back out on the road again driving professionally. I have a current CDL and I haven't taken the drivers physical in 5 years. Just wanted to clear that up. I also have Geico Insurance and I've taken the Smith System Driving Course which also gave me a discount.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
vegasfoodguy wrote:
Bob, I am with Geico Reno, I thought if this is your agent, it would make things easier.

Okay, I understand now. I don't have an agent. I deal with Geico directly so I was on the phone with where ever their service bureau is located.

vegasfoodguy
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
vegasfoodguy wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Bob, I will check tomorrow. Do you deal with the Reno office?

Terry.

Terry, it sounds like you might be asking which DMV office I go to, which is Carson City, but that's really immaterial as you need to contact your insurance company. This just may be a discount available with Geico, but it wouldn't hurt to check with which ever insurance company you're with.

Bob, I am with Geico Reno, I thought if this is your agent, it would make things easier.
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously, if you need a Commercial License for work, you have to have one, but I don't know if I would get one unnecessarily. In many states, the fees for traffic violations are much more costly with a Commercial License.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
sailor_lou wrote:
Just last week at my renewal the GEICO agent told me they also offer a discount if you take an online driving test. He explained it is something you need to do every couple of years and is specific to each state. I haven't looked into it yet, but it may worth it for those without a CDL.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

I took that online test a couple of years ago. It is called the NSC Defensive Driving Course, and upon completion resulted in a 10% reduction in my premiums.

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Just last week at my renewal the GEICO agent told me they also offer a discount if you take an online driving test. He explained it is something you need to do every couple of years and is specific to each state. I haven't looked into it yet, but it may worth it for those without a CDL.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many years ago after passing the CDL test I was surprised when they wanted a DOT medical certificate. There was nothing in the CDL book about needing a medical certificate. I handed them a DOT medical certificate I happen to have and they said it was not any good because it was issued by the FAA. With it I could carry passengers for hire in an airplane but it was not good enough to drive my friggin dump truck. I lost this battle. Compared to a flight physical the CDL physical is a joke. Restores my faith in government bureaucracies.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
AidenJ wrote:
GlennLever wrote:
I would be interested in hearing more on this.

My yearly physical is covered by insurance, and I have my Doctor (his nurse) fill out both my CDL physical and my NHRA and IHRA physical paper work at the same time. This is done free of charge.

That is interesting. My DOT physical used to be covered by a health care provider. That is no longer the case and I need to go to a special DOT physician. My yearly exam by my primary care will not suffice.

Interesting the DOT physical is a joke. The hearing test is someone standing across the room whispering and asking if you can hear them

AidenJ
Explorer
Explorer
GlennLever wrote:
I would be interested in hearing more on this.

My yearly physical is covered by insurance, and I have my Doctor (his nurse) fill out both my CDL physical and my NHRA and IHRA physical paper work at the same time. This is done free of charge.

That is interesting. My DOT physical used to be covered by a health care provider. That is no longer the case and I need to go to a special DOT physician. My yearly exam by my primary care will not suffice.
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel