cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pedestal supply for 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor

rodjburge
Explorer
Explorer
Am in the process of installing a 50 amp hook up at my home for prepping of my 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. Should this be wired in as a 50 AMP 120/240 volt ac single phase. Is this how the camp ground pedestals are wired up?? Do not have my owners manual and could not find the quick answer thru the web without paying for a manual.

Thanx all.....you always come thru with useful info
11 REPLIES 11

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rodjburge wrote:
Am in the process of installing a 50 amp hook up at my home for prepping of my 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. Should this be wired in as a 50 AMP 120/240 volt ac single phase. Is this how the camp ground pedestals are wired up?? Do not have my owners manual and could not find the quick answer thru the web without paying for a manual.

Thanx all.....you always come thru with useful info

A 50 amp outlet is wired same as the input to your house

L1--120--Neutral--120--L2

L1---240---L2

Safety ground

EXACTLY like a house

If you hire it done odds are it will be done right

IF you do it yourself it is wired like a 4-Wire RANGE outlet.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll differ with Ivylog and recommend that you install a 50/30/20 power pedastal. Here's one for $119.95. I find the 20A outlet handy, and I use the 30A in the off season so my 50A power cord isn't exposed to the elements during the winter.
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
"Should this be wired in as a 50 AMP 120/240 volt ac single phase".

NO, It is 2 phase. If you attempted to wire to the single phase, you would NOT get 230/240 across the 2 hot leads. Doug

DrewE is correct, it's a "split-phase" service, not "2-phase".
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

NO, It is 2 phase. If you attempted to wire to the single phase, you would NOT get 230/240 across the 2 hot leads. Doug

Standard residential (and RV) supply is single phase, with the neutral taken from a center tap. If you look at the electric utility's transformer for a hose (where it's visible, i.e. on an overhead line), you'll see that it connects between one of the three (high voltage) phases and neutral in practically all cases, hence it's only a single phase supply. The two hots do end up being 180° out of phase with respect to each other when referenced to the neutral line.

(There may be a very few electric utilities that use a delta rather than a Y configuration, where the transformer would be between two of the phases, but that's not the usual arrangement. At any rate, the output from the single transformer is still single phase.)

Any two-phase application I've run across has been in things like control systems with servomotors, and the two phases are typically around 90° with respect to each other. Electrical utilities do not generally supply actual two phase power—it's either single phase or three phase. (Of course, with three phase power, the three hots phases are 120° with respect to each other. 120V hots, with respect to neutral, end up being about 208V with respect to each other.)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
I strongly suggest you set yourself up with a 50A receptacle that has a breaker next to it. That way you can turn off power......

The OP's HR has a time delay of aprox 20 seconds before the power is applied so no load when plugging in. Other than turning the ACs off before disconnecting I would not worry about hurting the contacts.
I wonder how many times in a CG people plug in/out without turning the breakers off? As the owner of a CG I have never replaced a 50A outlet in 20 years, the 30 amps ones YES.
I do have a couple sites with just a 50A outlet, but I did put in a separate grounding rod for it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just make sure you use the proper receptacle. The one you want is a Nema 14-50. That will be embossed on the receptacle...RVs use 14-50 P for plug and R for receptacle.

For those interested, here is what I use before plugging my coach into any outlet, be it my own or a campground's. It can be found on the link provided above...Dennis

Mine is several years old so the SKU's may have changed.

50 AMP Tester
Parts: Parts are from Home Depot
1. ¾” 2 Gang 59cu Grey Plastic Electrical Box SKU 534-714 One
2. ¾” Female Adapter SKU 202-924 One
3. FS Box Cover Double Duplex SKU 872-585 One
4. 20 AMP Nylon Duplex Receptacle SKU 250-376 Two
5. 12-4 SOOW 600V Rubber Cord SKU 369-269 1 Foot
6. ¾” Strain Relief (2 pack) SKU 115-416 One
7. Angle Plug 2P 50Amp 14-50P SKU 614-001 One
8. 3 Wire Circuit Analyzer SKU 345-238 Two
9. Hi Vis Tester GET-213HV SKU 327-838 One
Total Cost: About 53 Bucks
In addition, you will need a plug in Voltage Meter from Camping World or similar. About 16 bucks w/ Presidents Club discount. You will also need a small, about 1” piece of scrap ¾” conduit. (to join the female adapter to the 2 gang box.
Tools you will need:
1. Phillips Screwdriver
2. Wire Strippers
3. Wire nuts
4. Dremel Tool or similar
5. Common (slotted) Screwdriver
6. Soldering gun, solder and flux
7. Household Plastic Glue
8. Grey Caulking Compound
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I strongly suggest you set yourself up with a 50A receptacle that has a breaker next to it. That way you can turn off power when plugging and unplugging. Otherwise you risk contact damage and even more damaging, the dreaded floating neutral.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect.

Two excellent and fully descriptive posts.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is simplified drawing of a campground wired pedestal.

NOTE: A 120VAC 20AMP SERVICE would wired the same as the 30AMP side but using a 20AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER

When you get done use these pictorials to TEST your wiring using a MULTIMETER.

50AMP SERVICE

30/20/15AMP SERVICE

Photos from GOOGLE IMAGES

If you read the VOLTAGES the same as shown here you did good.

DO NOT plug-in your trailer to anything different in the readings...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, it's a simple four wire system hooked to a double 50A breaker... two hots and a ground and neutral. Depending on the pedestal you buy, it may have a 30A and 15A GFI 120V outles in addition to the 50A 240V outlet. Do not worry about the 240V as the camper splits it into two 120V as very few RV's use 240V.
Instead of spending $200+ on something like this

all you need is something like this on a wood post from HomeDepot for $30.

The hots go to the outside lugs and you will hear you need to get an electrician to do this complicated and dangerous task. :S
OP, here is a site with more info... click on 50A on left and it has a table for wire size/distance.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...