cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operating BlueOx Tru Center

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
a different post about the BlueOx TruCenter reminded me that I had intended to post this last year but it completely slipped my mind.

I've had the TruCenter for a while now but I'm not sure that it's working, maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe my expectations are too high. this is what i was told by BlueOx,

turn the wheel in the desired direction, press and hold the TruCenter button until you no longer need pressure to keep the vehicle crabbed into the wind.

seems simple enought but easing of the steering wheel pressure never seems to happen to a point where a light hand on the wheel is needed. the tech at BlueOx said not to press the TruCenter button for more than 10-seconds. i have had the system checked by a qualified service center which pronounced it in working condition. they echoed the instructions i got from Blue Ox.

is this the right way to use it? does it disengage when on a curve
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle
16 REPLIES 16

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Until I could make my safe T plus adjustable on the fly, I disconnected it. Found with it connected, it may driving tiring having to hold against the 200 pounds of force when I had a cross wind.
More info : here:
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
I found I neeeded to slightly "over correct" to get the blang thing to center properly.

Also they tell you DO NOT PRESS BUTTON WHILE IN MOTION...

huh? if you can't adjust it in motion then what's the point?

Exactly! I think that`s lawyer speak. I dont see how you could adjust for varying conditions if you had to keep pulling over to reset it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I found I neeeded to slightly "over correct" to get the blang thing to center properly.

Also they tell you DO NOT PRESS BUTTON WHILE IN MOTION...

huh? if you can't adjust it in motion then what's the point?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The factory uses measurements to try to adjust for the Tru-Center neutral setting. My method takes in to consideration the vehicle's wheel alignment, RV loading, tire pressure, etc. to find the neutral setting when loaded for travel and on the highway.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
mike brez wrote:
From manual

Operating Instructions With these TruCenter™ models, (TC35270 & TC35160) the operator has the ability to adjust the length or center point of the TruCenter™ unit. If the vehicle tends to pull to one side, the operator needs to push the TruCenter™ switch and hold it in while turning the steering wheel in the direction that makes the vehicle follow a straight path. Then, release the switch. For example, if encountering a high crosswind, depress the switch while correcting the vehicle’s course by turning the steering wheel into the wind. Only turn the steering wheel enough to make the vehicle follow a straight path down the road. When the wind stops push the button, steer the coach so it is going straight and release the button. CAUTION: The switch activates a solenoid that, if activated too long, causes permanent damage to the solenoid. The timer relay is properly set at the factory and the switch on it should not be altered. Altering standard factory setting will cause improper function of TruCenter™ and/ or permanent damage to the solenoid. Although a timer relay is installed to protect the solenoid, we recommend NOT activating the solenoid for periods longer than 5 to 10 seconds at a time. It is better to make multiple, fine adjustments than to hold the switch and try to align in one, time-consuming operation.
NOTE: The adjustment button only allows the adjustment to be made with the steering wheel. It activates an adjustable gas spring, but the actual adjustment must be made by manually turning the steering wheel to the desired position.

All of that is correct. Now read the part above that where it talks about installing it so that it is at the neutral setting from the factory. If the installation was not exact, you will fight the alignment every time you drive. The method I described was to set the neutral position during installation, which is why I mentioned jacking the tires up to do it. Once I set mine for the proper neutral setting as it came from the factory, I very seldom have to push the button. By very seldom, I mean maybe once a month when out in the Great Plains during high cross winds.

that is the way i set mine up when i first installed it. i do play with the switch every so often. i installed a foot operated switch
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike brez wrote:
From manual

Operating Instructions With these TruCenter™ models, (TC35270 & TC35160) the operator has the ability to adjust the length or center point of the TruCenter™ unit. If the vehicle tends to pull to one side, the operator needs to push the TruCenter™ switch and hold it in while turning the steering wheel in the direction that makes the vehicle follow a straight path. Then, release the switch. For example, if encountering a high crosswind, depress the switch while correcting the vehicle’s course by turning the steering wheel into the wind. Only turn the steering wheel enough to make the vehicle follow a straight path down the road. When the wind stops push the button, steer the coach so it is going straight and release the button. CAUTION: The switch activates a solenoid that, if activated too long, causes permanent damage to the solenoid. The timer relay is properly set at the factory and the switch on it should not be altered. Altering standard factory setting will cause improper function of TruCenter™ and/ or permanent damage to the solenoid. Although a timer relay is installed to protect the solenoid, we recommend NOT activating the solenoid for periods longer than 5 to 10 seconds at a time. It is better to make multiple, fine adjustments than to hold the switch and try to align in one, time-consuming operation.
NOTE: The adjustment button only allows the adjustment to be made with the steering wheel. It activates an adjustable gas spring, but the actual adjustment must be made by manually turning the steering wheel to the desired position.

All of that is correct. Now read the part above that where it talks about installing it so that it is at the neutral setting from the factory. If the installation was not exact, you will fight the alignment every time you drive. The method I described was to set the neutral position during installation, which is why I mentioned jacking the tires up to do it. Once I set mine for the proper neutral setting as it came from the factory, I very seldom have to push the button. By very seldom, I mean maybe once a month when out in the Great Plains during high cross winds.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I adjusted mine by using a pointer I taped to the top of the steering wheel. I drove down a decent highway and marked on the dash where the pointer on the steering wheel lined up with each other.
Then I went back to my driveway and used the levelers to raise the front wheels off of the ground. With the wheels off of the ground I adjusted the Tru-Center so that the steering wheel pointer aligned with the mark that I put on the dash. That was all it took to have it adjusted so that I did not have to fight against it when driving down the highway. With the Tru-Center it took much less input from me to stay in my lane. .

It’s not meant to be used like that. It’s meant to be set in various conditions.
I sometimes reset it many times throughout the day.

Going on 60,000 miles with mine and I don't plan on changing the way I use it. Perhaps you have to adjust yours so much because you never set it up right when you first installed it.

Its not a "once and done" setting. its designed for different driving conditions. wind, road crown, etc. and yes its installed correctly!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
From manual

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I adjusted mine by using a pointer I taped to the top of the steering wheel. I drove down a decent highway and marked on the dash where the pointer on the steering wheel lined up with each other.
Then I went back to my driveway and used the levelers to raise the front wheels off of the ground. With the wheels off of the ground I adjusted the Tru-Center so that the steering wheel pointer aligned with the mark that I put on the dash. That was all it took to have it adjusted so that I did not have to fight against it when driving down the highway. With the Tru-Center it took much less input from me to stay in my lane. .

It’s not meant to be used like that. It’s meant to be set in various conditions.

Going on 60,000 miles with mine and I don't plan on changing the way I use it. Perhaps you have to adjust yours so much because you never set it up right when you first installed it.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

Also they tell you DO NOT PRESS BUTTON WHILE IN MOTION.

Yup. You know those movies where the novice pilot turns off the auto pilot and dang near crashes the plane.....> Believe them.

However once you do it once.. you learn (hopefully) how to do it without crashing the motor home.

But I found I had to slightly over correct on mine.. Loved it however.

That’s the only way I do it. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts to get it right. I do it on the fly with no issues.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Also they tell you DO NOT PRESS BUTTON WHILE IN MOTION.

Yup. You know those movies where the novice pilot turns off the auto pilot and dang near crashes the plane.....> Believe them.

However once you do it once.. you learn (hopefully) how to do it without crashing the motor home.

But I found I had to slightly over correct on mine.. Loved it however.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You will know if it’s working. Try turning the wheel and see if it wants to hold it in that direction. I love mine I can set it in high winds and it takes just a resting hand in the wheel to keep it straight. I haven’t looked into it, but I think it keeps the setting even when it loses power. I haven’t had to reset it after stopping for gas.

The newer ones come with a module that times out if you hold the button too long so you don’t burn out the solenoid.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is