cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Open container laws?

skiatom
Explorer
Explorer
Recently, a friend of my son purchased a class A RV. His question, to which I am not sure of, is this: Can passengers consume alcoholic beverages while going down the road in a motor home? I know it probably varies from state to state. We are in Oklahoma.
29 REPLIES 29

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Michigan makes no exceptions for a MH.

Michigan law we found said RV over 21 feet..

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
crawford wrote:
States listed are states listed that do so

What??
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
States listed are states listed that do so
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
crawford wrote:
Most states have laws prohibiting passengers and drivers from drinking alcohol or possessing an open container of alcohol in a vehicle. However, a handful of statesโ€”including Connecticut, Delaware, Missouri, and Mississippiโ€”donโ€™t have open container restrictions on the books. And there are several other statesโ€”Tennessee, Virginia, and Rhode Islandโ€”that donโ€™t have open container rules that apply to vehicle passengers.

Passenger vehicles and RV's are very different and the laws pertaining to each are different.

Can passengers drink in a car? No. Can passengers drink in the house section of a MH? In most states - Yes.

And as I said before, even if there was a law on the books that you couldn't, it would be all but impossible to enforce.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Most states have laws prohibiting passengers and drivers from drinking alcohol or possessing an open container of alcohol in a vehicle. However, a handful of statesโ€”including Connecticut, Delaware, Missouri, and Mississippiโ€”donโ€™t have open container restrictions on the books. And there are several other statesโ€”Tennessee, Virginia, and Rhode Islandโ€”that donโ€™t have open container rules that apply to vehicle passengers.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œIt only takes a $4,000 dollar attorney to get to the answer.โ€

Thatโ€™s way over for most traffic tickets. However, if you have the right choose a jury trial, yes. California as lowered the proof needed for infraction convictions.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
I think you will find virtually everywhere that the rules are the same.
No open liquor in a vehicle. It's not who is drinking it, but the fact of having an open bottle in the vehicle.

Not many years ago TX allowed open beer !

Those days are long gone. Now they take it seriously
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
If you really look at the various states' law you will see it is NOW the consumption of an alcoholic beverage in a MV, not an open container. Although I never looked into all the states; in NY (you don't get much more restrictive) you can drink in the back of an RV. I am a retired NYSP Trooper.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can always switch to the new NON-ALCOHOLIC beer from Heineken. It is the beer for people that just like to pee a lot. :B

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
I think you will find virtually everywhere that the rules are the same.
No open liquor in a vehicle. It's not who is drinking it, but the fact of having an open bottle in the vehicle.

Not many years ago TX allowed open beer !

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
I have used my mh to drive to concerts our band was playing at. Sometimes we brought along some roadies, who would partake in a few cocktails on the way there. As long as the driver, {me} were not partaking in the festivities, I don't see why there should be a problem. We made sure the curtains stayed closed so nothing was visible from the outside. They sat at the table, and played cards on the way there. Im sure most would say no drinking allowed, but I don't see the problem as long as it is not interfering with the driver. I don't see the difference what the passenger is doing, as long as the driver is being responsible.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago a friend and myself where driving a van type rv, and broke down on the side of the highway, and decided to open up the side door and sit down and have a beer. we where both into our second beer when the police showed up and told us we could both be charged with impaired driving.. I told the officer that we had just blown the motor ,so we where not going to be driving anywhere.. he then said he could charge us with drinking in a public place.. told him we where in our place of residence as we had a bed and fridge in the back and where drinking inside the van and not outside... He then asked if we would like him to call us a tow truck, which we agreed โ€ฆ and he left...

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Has anyone EVER gotten a citation for this?

On edit; even if there were a law, and even if the officer knew the law, enforcing it would be nearly impossible.

But it's a moot point, it seems like most states exempt the house portion of the MH. Bottoms up passengers.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Michigan makes no exceptions for a MH.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP