cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan Generator Service

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
We are the original owners of our 2007 Monaco Knight. We have done all the routine maintenance on our Onan 8000 generator that is accessible to us. The generator must be removed (does not slide out) in order to do the other maintenance items in the 1000 hour service schedule such as replacing the belt and hoses, etc.
Has anyone has this maintenance done? What did it run you to have someone do it for you? Where did you have it done? We have been trying for over a week to get a quote from Cummins in Fort Wayne IN and they just don't seem to be able to give us an estimate.
The generator has 1300 hours on it and works fine. We are planning another trip to Alaska next season and would like to be able to avoid problems with our generator. Thank you for your feedback.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
10 REPLIES 10

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
You are only 75 miles from Elkhart. I would call the Onan/Cummins shops up there and get a quote and then drive up and wait or just drive back home and come back when ready. Doug

Thanks Doug - we just had the work done the last two days in Elkhart. See my last post just above yours.
Dave & Kathy
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You are only 75 miles from Elkhart. I would call the Onan/Cummins shops up there and get a quote and then drive up and wait or just drive back home and come back when ready. Doug

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Update - we went ahead and had the onboard Onan 8000 generator pulled and serviced by Onan in Elkhart IN rather than Fort Wayne location. Elkhart has 30 amp electric sites that we were able to stay in the night before our service and another night when the service wasn't completed in a single day. We are very pleased with the service we received. We thought the generator was running fine when we brought it in because it was running and performing fine but it sounds so much better now that a professional has put it through its paces. Final out the door price was just over $1750. They replaced the intake resonator (which was cracked) belt, hoses, coolant, oil, all filters, thermostat, temperature sensor, and water pump. Also replaced one of the exhaust hangers which we hadn't noticed was broken. Technician also cleaned out Spark Arrestor and adjusted the valves. Price included 8 hours of labor at $131 per hr. We will recommend Onan Elkhart to our friends.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
The bear in the price is getting that thing out and back in. Mine cost $1400 labor out and in a couple of years ago; the only parts needed were a propane regulator and a couple of spark plugs...but yours is much more involved. No matter, those belts and hoses are 13 years old. If I was heading out on an excursion to Alaska I'd sure change them.
-jbh-

I will say that I had my Onan re-installed at the local Cummins shop. They ARE a "Coach Care" location.

It was a NIGHTMARE ! Many, many issues, at the end of the day they made it right, sent a tech to my house..He RE RAN the entire LP system, the way they ran it was only 1 bottle would feed the generator.

They had a new fifth wheel pin box capture plate overnight to my house... AND refunded me the total amount..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
got the estimate from Cummins - $2300
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
JNW57 wrote:
The Cummins "Coach Care" locations service RV's. I had Onan removed in the MN location. I only found one location in AZ and one in NV when I was located there. Members of the Cummins Power Club get a discount. I had a new inverter and drive belt installed. I thought the time involved and labor were reasonable. I don't have the invoice available, but if you want cost I can retrieve it. PM me.

tried to pm you but got a message that you do not allow pm's.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
That Coach Care facility is listed as a "distributor," not just an authorized shop. I'd suggest you bump it up to a service departent manager. Otherwise you might call up W. W. Williams and inquire.
https://www.wwwilliams.com/location/fort-wayne-in/
-jbh-

JNW57
Explorer
Explorer
The Cummins "Coach Care" locations service RV's. I had Onan removed in the MN location. I only found one location in AZ and one in NV when I was located there. Members of the Cummins Power Club get a discount. I had a new inverter and drive belt installed. I thought the time involved and labor were reasonable. I don't have the invoice available, but if you want cost I can retrieve it. PM me.
2003 DISCOVERY 39L QUAD SLIDE
2014 HONDA CRV EX-L FWD
BLUE OX ALADDIN, M&G AIR BRAKE, KAR GUARD

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Why not call an Authorized Onan Service Center located "somewhere" (in the USA) near you? Tell the service department what service you require, the model generator you have, and the year, make, model of your motorhome. They won't be the cheapest, but at least you'll have some idea of what's in store for you.

Depending on where you are located, a qualified RV mobile service tech should be able to help you, but their price will depend on how far they have to travel to get to you. IMO, it's a good idea to take care of regularly scheduled maintenance (even if over due) now, before you are really out in the boonies.

Chum lee