cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan 7500 removal question

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, anyone ever removed their Onan from the RV. Mine is bolted to a welded frame and looks like I have to pull it from the front. To do that, I need to remove the big access door.

I have a Cayman 2003 Diesel. I have code 19, governer and I am afraid I will have to pull it out to check things out. The Gene does not crank.

Thanks
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.
12 REPLIES 12

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the links.
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
On my last coach with the 5.5KW, my rotor/stator died. An Onan shop dropped it and repaired it for about $1200. I know that this one is bigger but offered as a data point.

Another data point for the onan 7500...cummins/onan got into my wallet for $4,180 for this repair in 2005. When the magnets fly loose they cause a fair amount of damage.

I hope the OP can repair this one as a do it yourself project.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

cbeierl
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a thread over on iRV2.com that may be useful: 7.5 Quiet Diesel Gen, just finished issue(s) corrections
Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
On my last coach with the 5.5KW, my rotor/stator died. An Onan shop dropped it and repaired it for about $1200. I know that this one is bigger but offered as a data point.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:
Ok, took the front panel off and found some magnet parts, looks like the rotor is destroyed. I saw a post decribing this problem. More reading is required for now.

I will take it off from the front using an engine hoist like someone suggest and go from there. Don't know if I keed this of buy a new smaller honda type gene.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/7-5-kw-onan-hdkaj-w-bad-armature-313740.html

Dang sorry to hear that. Maybe there is an alternative

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, took the front panel off and found some magnet parts, looks like the rotor is destroyed. I saw a post decribing this problem. More reading is required for now.

I will take it off from the front using an engine hoist like someone suggest and go from there. Don't know if I keed this of buy a new smaller honda type gene.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/7-5-kw-onan-hdkaj-w-bad-armature-313740.html

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Twomed wrote:
IF you have to pull it. Rental engine puller on wheels, tow it home, remove slide out nose. Big eyebolt under that cover in the center of top cover. Well balanced on that point. Unbolt, electrical, fuel...jack up with lift a couple of inches, slide it out. Easy to work on if placed on two really heavy sawhorses, weighs about 400#.

I saw a panel tucked on the top, very little clearance but I will check further to remove it. thanks

Thanks

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
IF you have to pull it. Rental engine puller on wheels, tow it home, remove slide out nose. Big eyebolt under that cover in the center of top cover. Well balanced on that point. Unbolt, electrical, fuel...jack up with lift a couple of inches, slide it out. Easy to work on if placed on two really heavy sawhorses, weighs about 400#.
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Find out more about the code and look at a wiring schematic to troubleshoot first. At that age it could easily have a poor connection.

One find

Search reveals even home stand by units use code 19 with fixes involving gov wiring

Another with mention of r&r

Thanks for the input, I will check these out.

azrving wrote:
Find out more about the code and look at a wiring schematic to troubleshoot first. At that age it could easily have a poor connection.

One find

Search reveals even home stand by units use code 19 with fixes involving gov wiring

^^^ Nice find, lets hope the Op is as lucky as the OP mentioned in the link ! ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

One find

Another with mention of r&r