cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older Sony Rear Camera to New 3 camera system - need adapter

RonWSl
Explorer
Explorer
2004 HR Vacationer with original Sony rear view B&W camera and monitor was in the coach when we bought it. Recently purchased a new 3 camera color system from Amazon. I went to install it today and the Sony cable isn't compatible with the new cameras 5m 4 pin cable that came with it. I really don't want to rerun the rear camera cable to the new monitor. Does anyone know if there is an adapter wire that will let me plug the older Sony cable into the new system??? I have searched Google, Amazon, an on this site but can't find any information. Surely, I can't be the only person that has done this. Any help, or the name, number etc of the adapter I would need to buy to connect the old Sony cable to the new camera and the new monitor would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
RS
9 REPLIES 9

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
RonWSl wrote:
Not sure how an RCA to coxial would apply -

IS THE NEW CAMERA SYSTEM "WIRELESS" ??

The answer to that question is really important.

Have you contacted the maker of the new system about getting some "pre-wired pigtails" to assist with the connections ??

P.S. If you are going to get a different new system, consider a wireless one. Makes the setup and maintenance a LOT easier.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace my old Weldex monitor and camera, but did not want to rerun the cable. I dealt with Tadi Bros. They wanted a picture of the cable connectors and produced some adapters that go with the new camera and the new monitor.

RonWSl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info - found out that you are correct. Per Tim at RV Cam the only adapter he is aware of goes from the old Sony to a Voyager system. I will return the system I bought thru Amazon and likely purchase one from Tim - probably going to cost me a few hundred dollars more, but it will be worth it if I can use the existing Sony cable and not have to run or route a new cable.

Ron S

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
RonWSl wrote:
2004 HR Vacationer with original Sony rear view B&W camera and monitor was in the coach when we bought it. Recently purchased a new 3 camera color system from Amazon. I went to install it today and the Sony cable isn't compatible with the new cameras 5m 4 pin cable that came with it. I really don't want to rerun the rear camera cable to the new monitor. Does anyone know if there is an adapter wire that will let me plug the older Sony cable into the new system??? I have searched Google, Amazon, an on this site but can't find any information. Surely, I can't be the only person that has done this. Any help, or the name, number etc of the adapter I would need to buy to connect the old Sony cable to the new camera and the new monitor would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
RS

RS,
Being that your coach is an '04, I'm gonna step out on a limb here and sort of "assume" that your camera IS the same as ours, in our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD. Ours is the VXB model Sony. (I think that's the model). And if that's the case, then yes, there is NO ADAPTER for your PROPRIETARY SONY cable ends. I've already done the same search, more than once. Those cable ends were created by Sony and, for those specific camera systems. They're either a "5-pin DIN, or a 6-pin Din plug" if I recall. So, no RCA jacks will work.

I've contacted RVCAMS.com and spoke at length with them and, yep, they're good folks and, they do have replacement systems. Since 2004, there's been vast improvements on just about all cameras and monitors. Heck, you can get some real nice ones on Amazon for way less than half of what the "other guys" sell.

I've got a setup I use in my 2015 Jeep JKUR that is phenomenal in color and detail for backing and, the monitor and the camera was a whopping $34.00 on Amazon. I don't know how your coach is constructed in terms of access to points needed to run a new cable but, on ours, in all reality, it would be easy. Of course I'd not run it through the ceiling like many coaches. I'd just run it down to the frame, from the camera mounting port where the existing one now is, and, run it all along the frame 'till the dash area comes up. Then, up through the passage port where a zillion other wires and cables come through and, up to the dash.

One of these days, I'll have to do that.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on RVcams.com Give them a call, tell them what you have (both old and new), they will set you up with the correct adapters/equipment if it is possible.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

RonWSl
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how an RCA to coxial would apply - no rca jacks in the camera nor the monitor nor are there coxial connections - both tne new camera and the new monitor use 5m 4 pin cable, which is not compatible with the old sony cable. May have to cut and splice but don't really want to as I suspect the wires are very small and it will be difficult to do.

But thanks for your input.
Ron S

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced an old B&W camera and monitor in the Sahara. Got the new setup from RVCams and they told me what I needed. Basically it was RCA to coax converter.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Rv Cams

-Tom, W3TLN
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Crutchfield...call don't Google. They have everything A/V.
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843