cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil changes

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yesterday we went to the Phoenix (Tolleson) Speedco/loves. Used to always go to Speedco before they joined with Loves. We were there about 10 am and they told us it would be a couple hours. We decided not to wait and went on to Scottsdale where we were headed. At 8pm last night they called and were ready for us!! Next week will be back in Yuma so I guess we’ll try and find a mobile guy to come do the oil change. What do all you guys do for oil changes??
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
21 REPLIES 21

captron33
Explorer
Explorer
Speedo has been a mess since loves bought them. I’ve tried to use them. But they evidently don’t want rv business anymore.

lonewolf80
Explorer II
Explorer II
wolfe10 wrote:
I agree. This is NOT an RV dealer kind of service.

Any place that works on OTR trucks will be very familiar with your DP engine and changing its oil.

Do NOT neglect lubing/greasing the chassis!

Good point Wolfe, I have this done at the truck repair shop that I take my rig to near home when it goes in for its yearly (May) NY safety inspection.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer

Any place that works on OTR trucks will be very familiar with your DP engine and changing it's oil.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer

Any place that works on OTR trucks will be very familiar with your DP engine and changing it's oil.

Brett Wolfe

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Given how difficult I've found it to get ANY kind of RV related service done, I cannot imagine how difficult it would be if you had to rely on a shop to do all your oil changes.
Truck shops would be my choice.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Change it myself, as I've done with every vehicle I've ever owned.

How to get rid of 18 quarts of oil? Geez, issues like that remind me of yet one more reason I prefer my gasser MH, and the fact it only uses 8 quarts of oil for changes. Which, easily goes in the portable oil container I use for all oil changes. Very easy to carry it to the auto parts store when going there for other things and dump the oil there (most take/recycle it for free).

Given how difficult I've found it to get ANY kind of RV related service done, I cannot imagine how difficult it would be if you had to rely on a shop to do all your oil changes. Mobile mechanic would be the way to go, if you could find a good one that would do it.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
My husband has a very bad back. He can barely still use the MH much less crawl around underneath it
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

lonewolf80
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drain my diesel oil myself. Walmart sells a pretty good 20 qt. drain pan with a pour spot. Whenever we buy something that comes in a big box I break down the box and save the cardboard to place under the drain pan, and as mentioned not only guards against spills but makes it easy to pull the drain pan, wrench, etc. out from under the rig. Also on occasion, I save large laundry detergent containers and gallon-size RV anti-freeze bottles to slowly pour the used oil in the drain pan to using a funnel and my DW holding both. I drop the oil off at a local mechanic shop that also has a furnace that will burn almost any petroleum product.

At the cost of 17 qts. of oil, a Cummins oil filter at $35-40, if I can save on the change, even if it was as little as $75 (doubt that in my WNY neck of the woods) I'm further ahead. I do the same changing my 2 gas filters on my rig too.

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
The RV service places here are too busy at this time to get in.
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

dieterrv
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. anybody hear of the EZ oil drain value w/ hose attacnment. You replace your drain plug with the EZ drain. It makes easy to control oil flow and direct the hose ( clear plastic tubing sold seperatly) into jugs or drain pan. Hope this helps

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed in Yuma (what you show as your home base) there are numerous RV service centers. Why not just choose one of them?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I change my four wheel vehicle's oil myself, but as noted above, I don't want to have to get rid if 10 1/2 gallons of MH oil, so I found a mom and pop diesel shop. They change the oil and filter and lube the chassis for an hour's labor...$75...just went up from $65. I furnish the oil and filter, they use the oil to fuel their shop furnace. It's a win win.
2014 American Eagle

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
I use an old Rubbermade storage container that will fit under the oil pan with the coach up on my homemade 2X12 ramps. I line it with two HD black trash bags. Have yet to get the container oily.

Use an old coffee can and funnel to pour used oil back into the gallon jugs which go back in the cardboard box they came in.

Lots of places recycle oil. Very likely your city's vehicle maintenance department has no problem accepting any volume you choose to drop off.
Brett Wolfe

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Auto store. Large container and transfer to empty 1 gal container.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob