cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil Change V10 Newmar

RWjSIM2003
Explorer
Explorer
I need to change the oil on our 2013 Canyon Star Ford V10. Anyone know how many quarts or oil does the engine hold? I have heard three different amounts. Does anyone know the Filter #? Any help is appreciated.

I normally have the dealer do the oil change but they are booked for the next three weeks and I am past my change point and have Three trips planned before they can get me in. I change all the oil in my cars so not afraid to get this one to.
18 REPLIES 18

charles
Explorer
Explorer
I used a plastic rectangular 12 quart dish pan on my 2011 Winnebago. It will sit right on the cross member and slides right out when your done. Don't let the plug drop in the pan and replace it finger tight before you remove the dish pan.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the 5 qt jug of oil and two one qt bottles then put in the two qt in then just keep filling the one qt with a funnel till you get the 5 qt jug empty. Also get the valve I can do a oil change in 20 min . Ford oil and filter at Wally World around 30 bucks . Hope this helps

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 takes 7 quarts 10W20 and the FL-820-S filter. Done yesterday, easy with the valve I installed on the first change. On page 129 of the owners manual the capacity says 7 quarts.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 V-10 takes 6 qts of oil. I use NAPA 10-30 fossil. Buy it by the case. Oil filter, I use either FRAM PH-2 or NAPA 6418.
Air filter (once every year), either FRAM CA8039 or NAPA 6418.

I change oil every 3-4 thousand miles. Don't forget to grease the chassis. There are NINE fittings up front....the 9th being the hidden fitting on the steering box. It is covered by a black rubber cap. 4 fittings on the driveshafts (2 of them).

cdl2
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to hear more about the oil filter.
2001 Dolphin on an F 53 chassis......V10 Ford

bigdog2
Explorer
Explorer
Is that #2500 filter possibly a 2 quart filter? Maybe that is why 7 quarts are required?
LOW net worth.........HIGH quality of life
Dudley is at the rainbow bridge
Sonney,old ,retired Roadway driver.
Donna, too young to retire, she quit.

2006 GBM Pursuit 3500 DS
2014 ram toad- toad's toad VW powered buggy

RWjSIM2003
Explorer
Explorer
Well I did it tonight changed the Oil. I bought the filter FL-820-S but the one on the that the Dealer had put on was a 2500. I double checked and the owners manual calls out the FL-820-S so I put it on and had no issues. I to learned that should have bought all the oil in one quart bottles. did make a small mess on driveway but that was my own fault when I dropped the filter when it came off. All in all it was really easy job and saved 75.00 I like that. Thanks for all your help

bigdog2
Explorer
Explorer
I 2nd the fumoto valve. I got the one with a nipple. Slide a plastic tube on it and direct the oil into a container sitting on the ground!Never spill a drop.

Has there been another upgrade to the v10 since 2006? Can't figure why it would take 7 quarts instead of 6?
LOW net worth.........HIGH quality of life
Dudley is at the rainbow bridge
Sonney,old ,retired Roadway driver.
Donna, too young to retire, she quit.

2006 GBM Pursuit 3500 DS
2014 ram toad- toad's toad VW powered buggy

sd1209
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Fumoto valve.....Will make your job 100% easier......And no mess.....
Steve and Liz
Elko, Nv and San Diego, Ca
2017 Lance 1172
2016 F350 dually
2010 Jeep Wrangler

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
The previous owner of my first MH must have gotten tired of telling service departments how much oil the V-10 takes.....they wrote it on the underside of the hood. So I didn't have to look it up!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Re: Only main problem I had was the chassis cross-member that is directly beneath the drain plug that makes it difficult to get an oil catch pan successfully beneath the oil pan without it deflecting the discharging oil and spattering all over the concrete driveway before realizing that it is making an absolute MESS!! Sorry, I forgot I had said don't ask... LOL!

I found that by using my leveling jacks if I raise the coach slightly I can fit the oil catch container (flat type) between the axle & oil pan. Sees to work pretty good.
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've done mine a couple times, its really pretty easy. A few general notes, things to keep in mind:

1. A chassis crosspiece is right below the oil drain plug. You either have to deal with oil pouring across and down it, or fashion a work-around to this. I've heard of some installing a Fumoto valve, others just put a piece of cardboard over the chassis crosspiece. I just let it pour, put the drain pan right under, and wipe things off with a cloth or two afterward.

2. Once you crawl underneath there, its actually pretty easy to get to the drain plug, filter, etc. down there. A LOT more room underneath to maneuver and get to things than I'm used to with every other vehicle I've owned. 🙂

3. If possible, get the new oil in 1 quart containers, not one of the large 5 quart containers. With ours, there is barely enough room to put on a funnel and dump in a 1 quart container right at the filler. No way to do it with a big 5 quart bottle. Only way I found to do it with a 5 quart container, was to attach a long hose to the funnel, and sit the funnel up higher near the windshield wiper, and pour the oil in there. This makes the oil very slow in going down into the engine, and you end up holding that 5 quart container up high for a long time. Much easier to just pour 7 single quart containers in right at the fill neck.

Anyway, hope this helps. This is one of the really nice things about owning a V10 gasser MH, is that oil changes can be done by yourself fairly easily and economically.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Just be sure to put some plastic down to catch the oil that WILL drip all over your pretty concrete driveway....don't ask how I know..... 😉

I used Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30 and the Motorcraft filter for my V10. Seemed to be the recommended combination. ANd depending on your oil-fill spout in the engine compartment, you may want to make a funnel with a flexible tube to put the oil back in.

Only main problem I had was the chassis cross-member that is directly beneath the drain plug that makes it difficult to get an oil catch pan successfully beneath the oil pan without it deflecting the discharging oil and spattering all over the concrete driveway before realizing that it is making an absolute MESS!! Sorry, I forgot I had said don't ask... LOL!

Lesson learned...make a drain funnel...
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I've done mine once, fairly easy to get to even without jacking up the rig.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V