cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

norcold ice maker

Ronaldlee
Explorer
Explorer
The ice maker on my norcold refer will not pull in the water could it be ice maker or regulater and best place to order one or the other.Thanks Ron
11 REPLIES 11

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
There is a small orifice either in the water line at the solenoid valve or inside the solenoid valve itself that meters water to the ice maker. Review the service bulletin I've linked to below.

Service Bulletin - Ice Maker Service
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
DH just replaced the water regulator on ours. It would overfill the ice cube tray and we would get a solid block of ice in the basin. He tried everything he could think of. . . making the cubes smaller, etc. Finally he researched and found the water regulator could be the problem. Ordered one on line and put it in. It has worked ever since. This is the second ice maker in our fridge. The first quit working and he ordered another on line and installed it.

I'm glad he's so handy.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several suspects in order of where on the line they are

First: the Shut-off valve and optional inline filter (Closed/Clogged)
Now the switch on the U-matic *1
The solenoid
The line from the solenoid to the icemaker
Iced up

1: Hook a 120 volt test light to the solenoid leads (you can pull 'em off while unplugged and hook 'em to a test light) have someone force cycle the ice maker by turning the big gear wheel in the direction of the arrow.. if the light comes on and goes off the ice maker itself is good.

Next hook it back up and again cycle it.. If water water everywhere but not a drop of ice.. Tub is broke.

A flat metal piece (Key. knife) that magnets stick to held near the solenoid (like 1/4 inch away) while the ice maker cycles should be attracted to the coil at some point, make sure it's flat to the coil or you should hear the "CLICK" as the valve opens.

NOTE: Solenoid valves vary in cost. from under 10 bucks to over 50, and nearly all of them are interchangable.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Ice makes initiate their harvest cycle when the mold cools to about 15 degrees. After that every is "timed". A timer motor turns the wiper to push out the formed ice cube. It runs till it stalls against the cube in the mold and hangs there until the mold heater warms up and the ice is released from mold. It pushes out the ice cubes and opens the water feed solenoid for a few seconds to allow fresh water into the mold and then the timer motor reaches the end of it's rotation, it stops and waits for the mold to cool down again so another harvest cycle can begin. The mold heater is controlled by the timer motor and a high temperature limit snap disk. That's pretty much to whole story on ice makers. If you understand how they work, troubleshooting them is a lot easier.

If your mold isn't filling with water, the feed line is either plugged up or the solenoid isn't opening to allow water through it. Stay focused on that until you find the problem.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
I'd download the service manual for your fridge. My Norcold 4 door has both icemaker and indoor water. My ice maker quit and i found the replacement at Lowes. MUCH CHEAPER that ordering from Norcold. Service manual is also very informative.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
My problem was the plastic tube that suplise the water to the tray.
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 5th has a valve under the sink to shutoff water to the refer.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
If you open the outside access panel to the reefer, you should be able to see the water line going to a valve and then going to a solenoid and then from the solenoid to the reefer. These solenoids frequently fail and are inexpensive and easy to replace. First thing would be to see if there is any water going to the solenoid - that would eliminate filter and other supply problems.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had one that I had to put water in the tray to get it to cycle the first time.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Is there an under sink filter? Has the cartridge gotten turned? Most filters shut off water unless filter is fully in.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
You tube is your friend. Several trouble shooting videos on testing and fixing the exact problem.