cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No RVIA sticker on 2012 Nexus 24P

JR_257
Explorer
Explorer
I do not see a RVIA cetification sticker on the 2012 Nexus 24P Im considering should that be a concern and also no ladder for roof access
49 REPLIES 49

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't maintain my Itasca's full fiberglass one piece roof, either ... BTW, it carries a ten-year warranty.

I maintain/replace/repair the cracking plastic items and self-leveling caulking seams from the sun's UV rays, such as: The shower bubble, the air conditioner case, the sinks/shower/toilet roof vents, the antenna mounts, and the ventilation vents and vent covers.

All this takes a ladder to get up there, no matter what the roof material is. I don't want to lean a ladder against the roof's edge(s) either .... that would scrape up the superb rolled corners that Winnebago molds right into their fiberglass one piece roofs.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowermech wrote:
The Logans wrote:
JR 257, Tell the salesman nice try, you can't find an aluminum stud/frame with a magnet... good grief, some folks would say anything to make a sale. I personally would never trust an aftermarket roof ladder. You can never really know if you have it secured in a safe manner.

Just my opinion

Just a quick google search tells me that the Nexus has STEEL framing.
If so, a magnet will certainly find the studs!

X2
Nexus frames their coaches in steel which is 72% stronger than the conventional (cheaper), aluminum framing found in most coaches. I have no desire, much less need to start drilling holes into the steel framing to add a ladder. My 12' multi position ladder (think Little Giant without the hype), leans nicely against the rear of the coach extending well above the roof line. No problem whatsoever stepping securely/safely onto the roof
or getting back down, but then the full fiberglass one piece roof doesn't require all that much maintenance.

Sometimes folks tend to search for a solution for which there is no known problem....
{the government does this a lot}.

:B

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Although many ex's live in Texas, I believe Texas law is similar to other states. Canadian law may be different but until someone can show me in statute where U S state laws require it, I do not think a RVIA sticker is required in the states. Please name the states that require this sticker.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
No, the RVIA certification has been recently made more stringent to meet CSA standards so units certified after that date are now accepted as being CSA compliant.

It is not retroactive though, so units built prior to that are still not compliant with Canadian standards.

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
hpdrver wrote:
After 30 years of registering, insuring and being inspected each year from Texas inspectors with my motor homes, no one has ever asked about the RVIA sticker. Texas has no inspection requirements for this sticker.

As the song lyric goes, "All of my ex's live in Texas." but unfortunately not all RV's live in Texas.

There are numerous States (and Canadian Provinces) where the RVIA certification is required by law. No RVIA certification, no passing the annual inspection.

I don't know for sure but I don't think Canada could care less about the RVIA sticker. What they are going to be looking at is the CSA certification sticker to show it meets the Canadian standards.

This is IMO
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
hpdrver wrote:
After 30 years of registering, insuring and being inspected each year from Texas inspectors with my motor homes, no one has ever asked about the RVIA sticker. Texas has no inspection requirements for this sticker.

As the song lyric goes, "All of my ex's live in Texas." but unfortunately not all RV's live in Texas.

There are numerous States (and Canadian Provinces) where the RVIA certification is required by law. No RVIA certification, no passing the annual inspection.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regarding installing a roof ladder after you already have the RV.

I wouldn't feel comfortable installing a rooftop ladder regardless of wall stud material. I would hope that during the manufacture of the motorhome that the ladder is installed with screws, lockwashers, and nuts that go trough the stud metal and are secured on the back side with lockwashers and nuts. This means that the ladder would have to be installed before the interior wall covering was installed. I don't trust metal screws over the long run being merely screwed into the material (steel or aluminum) when you're talking about the stress and torsion on RV roof ladder mounts.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The Logans wrote:
JR 257, Tell the salesman nice try, you can't find an aluminum stud/frame with a magnet... good grief, some folks would say anything to make a sale. I personally would never trust an aftermarket roof ladder. You can never really know if you have it secured in a safe manner.

Just my opinion

Just a quick google search tells me that the Nexus has STEEL framing.
If so, a magnet will certainly find the studs!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer

Just my opinion
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't been asked to see it in Connecticut either. Not at the DMV nor for insurance, and not on a towable and not on a driveable.
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
JR 257 wrote:
Thanks all for responding I called Nexus and spoke with Loren regarding the 2012 24P with no rvia sticker he said in 2012 they were not rvia certified now they are.

Just be aware, should you choose to buy this unit, the lack of RVIA certification may cause issues with passing State inspections, obtaining insurance or where you can park it.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
JR 257 wrote:
Thanks all for responding I called Nexus and spoke with Loren regarding the 2012 24P with no rvia sticker he said in 2012 they were not rvia certified now they are. To add a ladder to the unit just use a magnet to find the studs as the are metal. Was happy Loren replied back to me as the unit im purchasing is from a private sale and not from a nexus dealer.So far im pleased with nexus service

Spoke with Loren a few times Dave Middleton and Kerren she sent me the build sheet on the 24P I'm doing a deal on hopefully this weekend.
Every person I talked with was very nice and professional !

JR_257
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for responding I called Nexus and spoke with Loren regarding the 2012 24P with no rvia sticker he said in 2012 they were not rvia certified now they are. To add a ladder to the unit just use a magnet to find the studs as the are metal. Was happy Loren replied back to me as the unit im purchasing is from a private sale and not from a nexus dealer.So far im pleased with nexus service

jamesa403
Explorer
Explorer
The Nexus web site says the roof ladder is an option