cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jimbo409
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of buying a 1999 bounder but the one I’m looking at has dual axles. What is the reason for the dual axles and how many tires will I need. I assume there would be 10 tires am I right 8 in back 2 in front.also this rv needs new tires what will this cost and where can you buy these. The rv is only 12 m so I don’t mind putting a little money into it if the rest is nice. I am not sure I need a 36 s it is just the wife and I. Also I need to check to see it it has the ford or Chevy 454 engine which one is better. Looking forward to trying this raving deal just retired and looking for a new adventure jimbo
15 REPLIES 15

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
jimbo409 wrote:
well I went to look at the bounder yesterday and it was a mess.It hasn't been moved in about 5 years the tires were all cracked the roof was a mess and all the seats head rips in them it was a fifthy mess to say the least. IHe only was asking 12000.00 but I figured with the new tires and I'm sure barakes are frozen and all the interior work I would have at least another 10 or 12 000 into it and I have to do all the work no thanks.
my search continues my max budget is 15000

Why do you keep saying ONLY to the 12 grand, when it's only worth that in very good condition from a private seller?
For example, we sold our, like no other, 98 National Tropical in late 16 for $12500 and was glad to get it. Most sure I would have sold it either way, to someone, but not like they were lined up outside and beating my door down. Cash only for these old coaches and what stops most potential buyers in their tracks.
Keep looking and if you'd like studying up and carrying a few autopark parts on board, an 03 National Dolphin LX on a Workhorse chassis will make for a very nice coach.... Clickity
In fact, at 34ft, it may not even have AP, so do check it out, but with two slides, I'm guessing it does.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
jimbo409 wrote:
I am thinking of buying a 1999 bounder but the one I’m looking at has dual axles. What is the reason for the dual axles and how many tires will I need. I assume there would be 10 tires am I right 8 in back 2 in front.also this rv needs new tires what will this cost and where can you buy these. The rv is only 12 m so I don’t mind putting a little money into it if the rest is nice. I am not sure I need a 36 s it is just the wife and I. Also I need to check to see it it has the ford or Chevy 454 engine which one is better. Looking forward to trying this raving deal just retired and looking for a new adventure jimbo

As explained, 8 wheels total and the tag supplies the needed extra 4500lbs on Chevy P32 rigs more than 34ft. House manufactures usually followed suit with the Ford chassis, rather than changing things. The good news is, that the tag model will handle better and especially with passing trucks, that try to wag your tail.
With the 99 yr, you're between a rock and a hard place, so would recommend going up a couple of years and choosing the Ford.
The Chevy would be my preference in 99 with it's 7.4 vortec engine, but maybe not for you, considering it will have the infamous autopark and maybe something you may be sorry for. The Ford with an older chassis will have a 460 V8 or a first year V10 and wouldn't want either one, even though there are some, that will swear by them.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like one that he should pay someone to take it. LOL
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

jimbo409
Explorer
Explorer
well I went to look at the bounder yesterday and it was a mess.It hasn't been moved in about 5 years the tires were all cracked the roof was a mess and all the seats head rips in them it was a fifthy mess to say the least. IHe only was asking 12000.00 but I figured with the new tires and I'm sure barakes are frozen and all the interior work I would have at least another 10 or 12 000 into it and I have to do all the work no thanks.
my search continues my max budget is 15000

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would hope that the tires are 19.5 or, even better 22.5 tires. They may not be but I prefer the larger tires.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
The tag was added on this chassis for added capacity and stability. Find out if it is Ford or Chevy and check on the size tires. Mine has 16" tires and they are not as costly as the larger sizes. I do however recommend the Michelin XPS rib tire if 16" as they are by far the best for that application. I cannot speak for other sizes.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
jimbo409 wrote:
So if I understand there are 6 tires on the back 2 axles and 2 tires in the front is that correct

Yes
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

jimbo409
Explorer
Explorer
So if I understand there are 6 tires on the back 2 axles and 2 tires in the front is that correct

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tag axle not only supports additional weight and gives the RV better carrying and towing capacity, it also improves ride and handling. The downside is that if you go through a toll booth towing a car you will be a five axle vehicle and will be charged the same as a tractor-trailer. Ouch. The tag only adds 2 extra tires so if you have to spend an extra $1000 every 7 years for tires that's really not a big deal. You will like having a tag axle for all the good things it provides.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I used to have a 97 Southwind which is the same as the bounder. I had a tag axel and really liked it, until tire purchase time. The tag will give you more carring weight plus help alot on holding the road. Remember to check the shocks on the tag as well they are most likely gone. As for the 454 to me it was a good engine but if you do some reading there was alot of problem with the manifold cracking due to heat.
good luck enjoy
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A 19 year old MH where as you wish to put only a little amount of money and are unsure if it’s built on a Ford or Chevy chassis. Ah, I don’t know.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would really check out the tag system. Finding parts for it maybe a issue. We know a couple here were we live and he gave up trying to find parts for the tag system. We have a 99 that is right at 38 and does not have a tag on a ford chassis. Good Luck

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
My first Class A motorhome was a 1999 Bounder 34V I purchased new. A very nice unit. Mine did not have the tag axle. It had a Ford Chassis. We took this unit around quite a few Western states and also throughout the midwest and Southeastern states. No material problems in the years we owned it and lots of family travel memories tucked away.

The only real issue I had was constant rodent intrusion. I kept plugging up all the open spaces underneath that let them enter the unit. I found most of them by turning on all of the basement storage lights, then going underneath at night and plugging all the places that light was shining through. Apparently Fleetwood did not believe in using grommets or sealant around places where wire cables or gas lines, etc entered the unit. After getting all of them sealed up I was still getting the occasional mouse inside and finally found where the rubber seal around the firewall was soft enough they were literally pushing their way right through it. I fixed that and never had another one inside.

Usually you can tell the Ford Chassis vs the Chevy Chassis of that day at a glance because the Chevy Chassis had a narrower width...the front tires are substantially inside of the fender wells. It wasn't until the Chevy chassis was redesigned by Workhorse that the stance was widened.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
There is only usually only 6 tires in back on a tag. 4 on the main and 2 on the tag. The tag will allow you to carry more. My rig with the tag is good for 1500 lb tongue weight and 15k pulling capacity.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie