cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Class A - opinions on covering it?

bclinton
Explorer
Explorer
So it looks like I will be buying my first motorhome - a class A 32 foot Forest River Gas. After looking all week and emailing a ton of sellers I can spend about 10K than I had originally picked out in a class c used about 500 miles away and an in state dealer is offering a new 2017 for 75K. He advises that it is one of his last 2017's and he is selling at his cost which I believe could be true. Most likely will purchase tomorrow. Anyway, what are your opinions on covering a motorhome? Are removable covers a good investment? What about a permanent cover installed in my driveway? Any idea on what I will be paying for covers and the pros and cons of either?

Thanks in advance...
21 REPLIES 21

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 36 foot metal prefab 12Ft high carport. If you have the space go with 18 feet wide rather than the 12 I went with. If I had the space I would have gone a little wider than 12 so I can get into my storage bins etc. without any problems. Permanent poll barn or carport all the way. I too purchased a fold up cover and used it once. Never used it again. Too heavy and too much work.
Mark

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
bclinton wrote:
So, after research I will be unable to install a permanent cover due to local codes. Here they have to be 5 feet from the property line and 10 feet from my house.....so....for the folks that are using a tarp where did you get it from? I am thinking covering the roof and maybe a foot or down on the sides would be better than nothing and easier to put on and take off.

I bought mine on ebay here is the one I got cover A tarp will beat up your rv, I wouldn't use one after all $225 isn't to bad.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
bclinton wrote:
msturtz wrote:
bclinton wrote:
So, after research I will be unable to install a permanent cover due to local codes. Here they have to be 5 feet from the property line and 10 feet from my house.....so....for the folks that are using a tarp where did you get it from? I am thinking covering the roof and maybe a foot or down on the sides would be better than nothing and easier to put on and take off.

Please do not use a tarp. It will damage the paint, roof, equipment on the roof such as air conditioners, antennas, plumbing vents and ladder. They are actually worse than nothing. It holds in moisture because it doesn't breathe when the water underneath evaporates. The commercial RV covers are made of a fabric that is waterproof on the outside but when water turns into water vapor it can escape. This keeps the rig from staying wet.

Do they make a half cover. I might be wrong but is seems that putting one on that basically covers the roof and maybe a foot or 2 would be much easier to deal with.....

I have never heard of a partial cover. It would be very difficult to make a cover for part of the RV. The first reason is not damaging the paint. Covers come all the way to the bottom of the coach so the stress is not on a painted surface. Next if you partially cover the rig you will have differential UV fading problems with the paint. Really if you maintain your roof it will be fine. The only other option I can think of is a โ€œtemporary โ€œ shelter. They are usually made of some sort of tarp material and have poles that hold them up. Typically the donโ€™t cost much and because they are not โ€œpermanent โ€œ are not subject to permitting. Most of the time they are held down by large concrete blocks.
FMCA member

bclinton
Explorer
Explorer
msturtz wrote:
bclinton wrote:

Please do not use a tarp. It will damage the paint, roof, equipment on the roof such as air conditioners, antennas, plumbing vents and ladder. They are actually worse than nothing. It holds in moisture because it doesn't breathe when the water underneath evaporates. The commercial RV covers are made of a fabric that is waterproof on the outside but when water turns into water vapor it can escape. This keeps the rig from staying wet.

Do they make a half cover. I might be wrong but is seems that putting one on that basically covers the roof and maybe a foot or 2 would be much easier to deal with.....

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
bclinton wrote:

FMCA member

bclinton
Explorer
Explorer

bclinton
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to try and get a metal roof installed? Not sure if it is physically possible. If I can get one that is about 11 feet wide I think it would fit....anything larger and I might have a space issue....will call a vendor in the morning.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
The success of those covers really depend on the region. Out here in the dry west at 7,000 ft the UV, dryness, and wind can leave you with a rag come spring. Wind can also cause the cover to damage paint, parts, even the roof.

Yet I hear of folks in the south that have very good success with them.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Under roof if you can is the best option ! Keeping the weather elements from beating down on it makes so much difference in the long run !

Our travel friends purchased a canvas type cover for their TT and he was...well.....um.....โ€to bigโ€ to get up and down to put it on so I was the on / off guy for a period of time for them. That was a PIA and thank goodness they put up a RV port !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a cover to keep mine out of the sun for over the winter months hoping to make either my garage bigger or a metal shed. The sun will roast everything, whether its winter or summer. The covers are a bit of work but folding it correctly so it deploys over the monster is key. I plan on using mine hopefully no more than two winters. I found mine for $225 on ebay so I consider it cheap/temporary protection.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

cooper841
Explorer
Explorer
I have been covering mines since 2007 wi9no problem.
Dana Cooper
Chipper(Lab)
2007 Fleetwood Fiesta LX
2003 Harley Fatboy mighty hauler lift
2010 Kia Soul

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Building a shed or other garage would be my first option, BUT...at my house that is not an option. So, we pay a monthly rental fee and rent a space under a covered storage facility. It's not enclosed, but it is covered and unless a tornado comes up, it's generally protected from the elements during the winter months while it's stored. The rest of the 10 months that we are using it for outings, it sits in my driveway plugged into to shore power. I considered using a cover and actually had one given to me because the previous owner didn't use it, but for all the reasons stated above, it was and IS still brand new. If you want to make a trip to NC, I'll give it to you just like it was given to me, because I have no intention of using it either and it takes up quite a bit of space in my trailer.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You could search this Forum for `RV Cover' and read that we cover ours with a Sunshield tarp; easy (easier) on and off than the full fledged covers.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
build the metal cover, you,ll be a happy rv,er.