cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Class A Buyer with Questions

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to buy our first Class A coming over from the 5ver camping scene. In the market for a diesel pusher under the $70K range. Question is where do I start with offers? Is NADA realistic? Found a Fleetwood Providence and a Discovery today online. Providence was real close to NADA values but the Discovery was 30K over NADA. What gives?
18 REPLIES 18

sdfriesen
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamper62301 wrote:
Airdaile wrote:
Cruise RVT and RVTrader for the models you're interested in. Subtract 20% from the prices.

Been out of the shopping loop. Knew about RVTrader but not RVT thanks a bunch

You might also consider using the Price Checker tools on RVT and RVTrader, also the Auto notify features...they will alert you when similar RVs (to your search) are posted, or for price drops.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would never go near a dealer for an RV and also beware of people selling without a title in their own name (curb stoners). Lot of things to consider. The advantage dealers have is that they usually have access to financing

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to keep in mind when financing (if you are financing) is that many banks/credit unions will not loan as much money on a private sale as they will on a sale via a dealer. It may mean you need a little more down payment cash to get the really nice condition private sale coach.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My only recommendation is if you go to dealers. DO NOT SHOP ONLY ONE. visit multiple

Was watching a Video where the guy was talking about "The Truth about" one of the larger chain dealers... Kind of scarey.

Many Dealers (not just the one the guy was specifically talking about) Will try to rip you off with assorted add ons. Long term financing and such.

Just talking to multiple dealers may be enough to point out the ones that lie.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamper62301 wrote:
Looking to buy our first Class A coming over from the 5ver camping scene. In the market for a diesel pusher under the $70K range. Question is where do I start with offers? Is NADA realistic? Found a Fleetwood Providence and a Discovery today online. Providence was real close to NADA values but the Discovery was 30K over NADA. What gives?

I've used NADA a lot and would expect to pay around 10 - 15% below low retail for a really nice one. This is usually all a private seller can expect to get and do like consignment dealers for negotiating without the emotion.
Along with your questions, you might ask yourself about how much quality vs the age, that you demand in your search for meeting your budget.
My recommendation, would be to move up a bit and only consider models with a side radiator. This will insure quality throughout and you should be able to find a 40fteer in the 05 - 06 model range that meets your budget.
Did I mention standing in the doorway, with checkbook and pen in hand, when making a would be final offer?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
jaycocamper62301 wrote:
Contacted 5 dealerships and only 1 has called back within 48 hours

never deal with a dealer,, way too many nice coaches for sale by owners.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamper62301 wrote:

never deal with a dealer,, way too many nice coaches for sale by owners.

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Think of NADA as a starting point for insurance/finance/regulatory agencies to quickly assess a value as far as their business concerns go, not yours. As stated earlier, every vehicle is worth what it sells for at the time/location it sells. No more, no less. Every sale is unique.

The price/value of any specific vehicle is determined by you at the time of purchase. No one else. Use that power wisely!

Chum lee

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can do a search on eBay and on the left hand side of the page is a box to check "COMPLETED SALES". The sales that are in GREEN are the ones that actually sold and the price that was paid.
Even knowing what a coach sold for is not much help unless you could actually inspect that coach and see if was in the same condition, came with the same extras, and had the same maintenance records as the coach you are comparing it with.

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t know of very many resources to determine what a coach actually sold for. PPL’s website is the only one I know of that does this.: https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold-rvs

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamper62301 wrote:

I saw this on the market, thought it was a fare price. ? ?

Coach.

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
Airdaile wrote:
Cruise RVT and RVTrader for the models you're interested in. Subtract 20% from the prices.

Been out of the shopping loop. Knew about RVTrader but not RVT thanks a bunch

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer