cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New awning fabric for our coach...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
As its 11th birthday approaches our 2012 Nexus 24' Class C needed a replacement fabric for the electric awning. There were number of holes developing along the inside edge where it attaches to the coach and it was looking a little long in the tooth. We have been getting 5.5 years out of them and for a C that is used a lot in the Arizona sun that isn't too bad.

I called Shade Pro as they had done a nice job on the last one. They are a little short staffed since the guy who handled the installs for central Arizona recently retired and there was one month backlog. The last time they came to our home in Tucson but this time I met their installer at the Walmart parking lot on the west side of Prescott. It was a 2 hour {very scenic } drive from Payson that added $75 in fuel for the round trip to the cost of the replacement.

It took about 45 minutes and I watched as my bride shopped. The 16' replacement awning looks and operates great and we should be good to go for another 5+ years. The cost was $420 {OTD}. the installer recommended using 303 on a regular basis to extend the life of this one... and I will.

:C
6 REPLIES 6

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
:):C

jackwilliam11
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Good luck with your updated awning. I use 303 on many things , tires as well.
Brides adore us when we offer them a 24 ft shopping cart ! :B

Thanks! 303 is great for many things, including tires. And a 24 ft shopping cart sounds like a unique wedding gift! It's always handy to have something practical that can be used in everyday life. The bride will surely appreciate it.

Cruisineasy
Explorer
Explorer
I reticently replaced my 16' Carefree awning material. Did it myself. Cost about $150 and took about three hours.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck with your updated awning. I use 303 on many things , tires as well.
Brides adore us when we offer them a 24 ft shopping cart ! :B

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shade Pro does business in southern California and Arizona, found them at Quartzsite. I would not attempt a DIY and I have have watched it done twice. The joke was that the first thousand times are the toughest. Getting the old fabric off is not too bad but getting the new one on and aligned {they use a multi pulley system} is tricky. Also the installer troubleshoots the entire system which is a good thing.

I kept the old fabric as I'm sure I can find a new use for it.

:B

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Cap'n! Always enjoy your updates.

I'm familiar with Tough Top but not Shade Pro - anyone have other providers to look into?

Is this an install that's easy to DIY?
Not that ~$500 installed is bad at all, I just didn't realize we had options.. so now I'm more curious 🙂
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.