cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New again, remind me

Mike_W
Explorer
Explorer
Been out of an RV for about a decade now. Looking to retire and get back in. Used. debating gas or diesel. I have read what the best manufacturers are by overwhelming opinion here. Tiffin and Winnie. "Quality" seems to be the difference in the top rated and bottom. The quality of what exactly is lacking in some of the lower rated brands? Cabinets? Beds? God forbid delam? appliances? Flooring? My last was an 86 Diplomat. All quality in it's day. Just old and heavy. But I may not need solid oak cabinets with cedar lining now. Remind me what makes you rate some low. Don't want a brand bash, just examples of what formed your opinions. Thanks in advance.
1987 Executive Diplomat 35
Sad Days
Sold my baby
๐Ÿ˜ž
25 REPLIES 25

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
Keep in mind that both Tiffin and Newmar have been sold and it is yet to be seen if the new ownership will maintain the previous good customer service.

Tiffin was purchased by Thor. I understand that Bob Tiffin will remain involved for a while through the transition and then for a while afterward. I suspect that Tiffins will remain a quality option. My observation of Thor Industries is that they are the umbrella that watches over numerous brands. Thor's goal is to have an RV in every class and every price point to cover as many potential new RV buyers as possible. This means that some Thor brands are going to put out lower cost and lower quality rigs, and there will be brands that are higher cost, and hopefully higher quality.

Airstream is a Thor brand and I don't hear too many Airstream owners complaining about their rigs quality. Plus, Airstream seems to still be Airstream even under the Thor umbrella. Thor's purchase of Tiffin was to have an Airstream-like manufacturer of motorized RVs in their brand line which they don't have right now. Some RV industry analysts indicate that Thor is unlikely to do much to Tiffin, at least in the near term. They purchased Tiffin because it was a quality motorhome manufacturer, not to tear it apart.

Mike_W
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Keep em coming. I will definitely be buying used. Paying cash. Still researching gasser vs diesel. The higher operating costs of the D concerns me. Some advice was to consider if you'll spend more time driving it or camping in it...good point. I'll be pulling lighter toads. This jeep and hopefully my workhorse Scion xA. But I don't want to worry or labor every grade on our travels.
Anyway, great info here. Open to more. Thanks again
Sad Days
Sold my baby
๐Ÿ˜ž

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
timjet wrote:
Most new RV's off the assembly line come with little to no quality control. So even the expensive ones with the good reputations are pushing them out the door as fast as they can. That being said, Tiffin and Newmar have a reputation for good customer service and will try and fix what they should have built right, better than most.

Keep in mind that both Tiffin and Newmar have been sold and it is yet to be seen if the new ownership will maintain the previous good customer service.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest issues with Cat engines comes from Cummins lovers....I am one! Meaning I love Cummins and currently am running a 3126B Cat.

I am pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Cat, and all in all I would not consider it a game changer in decision making.

Used motorhomes Late 90's-2005 era....Look at Foretravel, Country Coach or Monaco. I prefer and over the years have mostly run Monaco Signature and Executive. Am currently driving a Holiday Rambler Endeavor. Much cheaper build then the Signature and Executive but a lot less complicated and has been basically trouble free.

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
Most new RV's off the assembly line come with little to no quality control. So even the expensive ones with the good reputations are pushing them out the door as fast as they can. That being said, Tiffin and Newmar have a reputation for good customer service and will try and fix what they should have built right, better than most.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
georgelesley wrote:
Mike W wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
Avoid any post-2007 diesel.

This is part of what I was looking for. But why? What are we avoiding here?

Emission controls.

Exactly, and because of all that they are far more reliable and better mileage.

Pablum. The emission diesels are far LESS reliable than the pre-2007 engines. The local Ryder shop had to add a shift-not a mechanic, a full shift-to deal with the emission system problems.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
Mike W wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:

Emission controls.

Exactly, and because of all that they are far more reliable and better mileage.

Look at different Mhโ€™s. The ones you listed are nice, but I have heard of even them having issues. And since your buying used, any bugs will have long been worked out. After that inspect the roof real good. Preferably find one thatโ€™s been stored in doors all itโ€™s life. I would consider all but the lowest quality entry level units!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Mike W wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:

Emission controls.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Bruce_Brown
Jarlaxle wrote:

Or find one like ours; built in 2007 as a 2008 model but with a 2006 spec engine. Ours is even pre-ultra low sulphur diesel.

My nieces husband is a diesel mechanic, more than once he has said "never get rid of that one". Fortunately after 14 years it still looks, acts, and drives like new.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike W wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:

Horrible, sometimes-unfixable, and wallet-shattering problems with the emission systems. My company is over $50,000 in repairs as of May 31, for six trucks. One seems unfixable...it has >100,000 miles on the CEL, nobody (including Cummins) can keep it off more than 2 days.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
Mike W wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:

That photo of your old Diplomat looks really good. Photos can be deceiving, but looks like you took good care of it.

I'm just guessing, but it could be related to the need to fill the rig up with DEF, in addition to fuel? Also could deal with emissions equipment that those diesels require, maybe in addition to the DEF? My problem is I'm not sure when the DEF stuff became normal on diesels.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
The Caterpillar C7 is just fine. If not already done, it is approaching time for its first valve adjustment. Not a big deal.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Mike_W
Explorer
Explorer
ok. 2006 350 Cat Diesel, 45000 miles, no DEF fluid needed.
Spartan Chassis. Allison. Thoughts? Coach appears immaculate. What do I need to know about this engine?
Sad Days
Sold my baby
๐Ÿ˜ž

Bruce_Brown
You mention delam, and I agree. The 2 you mentioned are both laminated so they will, in time, delam.

The older Monaco/Holiday Ramblers (I'm not sure about the new ones), the Travel Supreme higher end Entegras, and Newmars use hung wall construction. No lamination, no delamination.

Of course your true bus types also are not laminated.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910