cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to find Chrome Hub cover Lug nut cover with nut...

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Have spent far too much time trying to find a replacement wheel cover holding nut with chrome cap for my '02 Freightliner chassis. One of them loosened up and fell off somewhere on the road.

It has 22.5" wheels and what I'm trying to find with no luck so far, is the chrome caps WITH the thin lug nut inside. They only hold the chrome hub cover in place, not the wheel. Here's a couple pictures...

The dimensions are 2" wide X 1 & 7/8" tall.

The nut is 1 & 5/8" wide X 1/2" thick with 16 TPI.

I haven't had any luck finding this part online and Freightliner has been difficult to contact this holiday week.

Anyone have a p/n and a source for this part? Those that do not seem to have it are Camping World, eBay, Amazon, and TrailerParts. But I'll take a link to any one of those retailers if anyone has it handy...

Maybe it's something I can find at a Flying J or Love's Truck Stop?

Thanks!
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.
21 REPLIES 21

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped at Colaw RV Salvage near Joplin, Missouri and picked up a replacement for my 2003 Expedition.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Save the time and aggravation go follow the link I posted to Dicor. If it is a rear wheel make shure the stud extension is there.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
vegasfoodguy wrote:

Wheel Masters in oregon, When I bought mine, they were $10.50 each.

Terry

Ah. Oregon is my home base, won't be back there until next August or so...Head into Mexico Tuesday morning and not enough time to get anything shipped to me here.

Thanks for the lead,Terry, I'll hang onto it.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

vegasfoodguy
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Have spent far too much time trying to find a replacement wheel cover holding nut with chrome cap for my '02 Freightliner chassis. One of them loosened up and fell off somewhere on the road.

It has 22.5" wheels and what I'm trying to find with no luck so far, is the chrome caps WITH the thin lug nut inside. They only hold the chrome hub cover in place, not the wheel. Here's a couple pictures...

The dimensions are 2" wide X 1 & 7/8" tall.

The nut is 1 & 5/8" wide X 1/2" thick with 16 TPI.

I haven't had any luck finding this part online and Freightliner has been difficult to contact this holiday week.

Anyone have a p/n and a source for this part? Those that do not seem to have it are Camping World, eBay, Amazon, and TrailerParts. But I'll take a link to any one of those retailers if anyone has it handy...

Maybe it's something I can find at a Flying J or Love's Truck Stop?

Thanks!

Wheel Masters in oregon, When I bought mine, they were $10.50 each.

Terry
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

JLG44
Explorer
Explorer
It almost looks like the nut is stripped. check the stud as well to make sure it isnt stripped as well. The nut is separate from the chrome cover. Check tire shops, any truck shop or dealer for the nut. Chrome part can be purchased from most truck supply stores or truck stops

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
Call Summit Racing 800-230-3030, ask for Presley, he's really good at Motor Home parts. He works Sun - Thur 930-600 Pacific.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
(Winnebago, Destination DP, FreightLiner.)
I found that 1-9/16 fits perfectly. Bought socket at a master mechanic tool supply.
Makes checking oil filled hubs a snap. Had new tires installed and the guys had to use my socket for the wheel covers...strange?? Made sure they used my breaker bar not an impact wrench.(I don't carry a lug wrench....When it comes to tire change/repair, I call Good Sam.)

Just to be certain, take the covered nut with you to a tool supply.

I know you are looking for the cover...Good ideas on other posts.
But, 1-9/16m socket fits the nuts holding the wheel covers, with the nut covers installed. The wimpy tool supplied with some MH is not up to job.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Any truck supply will have them. We go through about a dozen a year on Class 8s.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
les schwab carry them in the stores that do truck tires.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Try Here
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the one I purchased from dicor. As referenced above, check their website. They have an online tool to find the proper jam nut if it's one of theirs.

railtrailers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2001 Freightliner with 22.5 wheels, 10 lugs.
On ours, the "nut" inside is a seperate item from the formed stainless dress cover. The cover pulls off with a rubber coated plier like gripper tool. The "nut" is torqued onto the stud over the official lug nut using a T handle tool which engages with two notches in the "nut". There are two such "nut" and cover assemblies at each of the four wheel positions. Not tightening the the "nut" sufficiently may be what allowed it to loosen up and fall off. You are looking for two seperate pieces plus the tool to install and remove the "nut".

Update: The T handle tool I use is similar to the "Phoenix PN205TOL" and is used to install and remove the "hex jam nut" as well as the "stud extender" which needs to be removed in order to remove the wheel from the hub.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would also add that they are called wheel simulators.

Google that for better results.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.