cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help on locating tires in the Detroit area of MI. .

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks,
I posted this in another forum and so far, have ZERO responses. The explanation below takes care of what I'm inquiring about. MY right front tire is becoming more and more noisy as we travel. As we have a long way to go before we return home, I seriously don't want to push my luck on this. So, any help would definitely be appreciated.
Scott

Gang,
We're presently on a trip and, will be camping in the southern Deaborn/Detroit area for the next couple of days and visiting the area. Our coach an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 CAT, has developed a bit of odd tire wear on the outer edges of the right front. It's kind-a doing the same on the left front but, not nearly as bad. The tires, Michelin XRVs, 255 80R 22.5 are dated 3410 on all six and presently have over 45,000 miles on them. The pressure has always been correct based on the actual axle weight and, the Michelin tire chart.

The "odd" tire wear is in a form of cupping. It started on the outer-most tread and now, is progressing inward and is effecting the second-in tread. The wear bars are fairly close to being level with the tread but, not there yet. We've been "hearing" this cupping for well over a thousand to fifteen hundred miles now. The reason I've not done anything about this situation yet is, our route, which has been paralleling the top portion of the U.S. in Montana, N Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan. And, in all that distance and places we've camped and visited, there's been ZERO places that carry and or service larger type RV tires.

So, at present, we're in Frankenmuth MI and, tomorrow will be heading down to the southern part of Detroit/Dearborn area. I'm hoping to get a lead on a place to purchase some tires in that area. Now, it's potentially possible that the coach may need an alignment too. I'll look into that when I speak with any tire folks I encounter and, where it may be possible to get one.

As for brand, I'm not brand loyal for sure. Not all that happy with these Michelins. I do have the inevitable sidewall cracking that's only been reported on here by most who own them. I don't pay much attention to those cracks due to the fact that Michelin says that's ok, as long as they remain within a certain size. Anyway, if anyone's got a line on where to look into some RV 22.5" tires in the Detroit/Dearborn area, especially in the southern part, we'd surely appreciate it.

If you're wondering why I did not do anything about this situation prior to leaving on this trip, it's because the cupping was so minute that it was almost non-detectable. If you ran your hand along the face of the outer tread, you, for the most part, could not really feel that cupping. It's only gotten worse in the milage mentioned above. And, I feel it's only gonna get worse and, I'm not in the mood for a blow-out, even before it happens. So, any history or, experience with businesses in those areas?
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND
17 REPLIES 17

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Success!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've located two, Yokahama RY 103 265 75 22.5 LRG tires about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes from us in a truck tire service center in Toledo OH. The really, REALLY good part is, the production date is 7/1/17. Yahoooooo!!
They'll get them in tomorrow morning and, we'll head down there from our present camp spot here in Monroe MI. And, based on the few reports I've read about the Yokahamas, I think I'll be pretty happy. Not only that but, the cost is SERIOUSLY down from those 255 Michelins. They are $385 for each, mounted and balanced. The company, for those that would like to know is called;

Jam Best Fleet Service in Toledo OH. The person(s) I dealt with are Justin and Caylee. Great folks to deal with, very helpful.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Fire Up, if push comes to shove, you can take a rear dually set and move them to the front and put the worn tires on the rear.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Gang,
We've tried ALL the suggested places and, so far, ZERO luck on anyone carrying our size tires. Absolutely no one has anything like that in stock, with one exception, Treboc has 2 Bridgestones that are both DOT numbered at 2015. I'm not putting over two year old tires on this coach. I was going to buy them just to get us through this trip IF, they'd sell them to me at some form of a discount, due to their age. But, nope, the price was/is $500 each. So, again, all the info is very much appreciated and, we'll keep looking. Toledo is probably our next heavier town to cruise through so, I'll do some fishing there to see if I get a bite on tires.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Well Chit...

I just got off the phone with a guy I know that works for Belle Tire.

That place is still a commercial tire shop, but they aren't Belle anymore. Belle sold their commercial tire division to Tredroc and it changed hands the first or the year. The place is still there, the people are still there.

I haven't needed tires that I had to get there for a couple of years.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

gtschulz
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Scott,
Belle Tire is a good choice plus they are included in the FMCA tire program.
Deputy Chief/Fire Marshal (retired)

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Yahoo,
Some help here. I most certainly appreciate all your help, experience and suggestions here. When I originally posted this, it was on IRV2 and, as stated, we were in Frankenmuth. But, we've migrated southward and are presently in Harbortown RV park and campground. Man, what a nice place. 10-10-10 is what it's rated. It can get a bit crowded in here but, still, a well kept place with flat and level concrete pads with grass on both sides.
Anyway, we're keeping the coach here at the park for the next day or two while we cruise up to the Henry Ford exhibits, museum and all that stuff tomorrow. I did see the Belle tire on line but, as has been stated, they only show passenger car stuff on line. So, while up there, in the area, I'll maybe cruise by and talk with them about getting some front skins and, maybe an alignment.

et2,
I really, really want to thank you for your suggestions here. If we were still in Frankenmuth, we'd be heading towards those suggestions of yours tomorrow. But, I don't know if it's just us, or, Just MICHIGAN or what but, we've encountered THE WORST ROADS we've ever been on, while traveling just about the entire state of Michigan. I'm surprised my windshield is still in the front of the coach.
With all that being said, I surely would not want to re-cover or, back track on any of those seriously bad roads. We've been beating our coach to death the last few days.
So, going what we call "forward" which is heading south and east, maybe we'll get a chance to ride on smoother roads. But, a stop at maybe Belle Tire is in order, BEFORE that front right turns into a completely SQUARE tire. Thanks again for all the help here folks.
Scott

I know exactly what campground you're at and it is very nice. As far as our roads, well we here complain about them ALL the time and NO it isn't you only with that description. As soon as you head South out of the campground on I75 hold on as the road won't be any better until you cross the Ohio line. You will notice an IMMEDIATE difference. Enjoy your trip and be safe.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great service and price at Seng Tire in Novi
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Biggest tire dealer in Michigan can get Mitichlen XRV's Belle Tire

They have a TRUCK center in Redford (Just west of Detroit) and in I think Lincoln Park (Just SOUTH/West) they did service my Class A

I don't know if they are still there but there was another truck tire center next to the OLD General RV in Wixom.. that's on the SOUTH side of I-96 Look for the 1950's Diner. the tire store is across the street, or was 5 years ago.

You can find many more, Even some mobile service trucks (I used to have a databsse before I retired).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the formerly known as Belle Tire Truck Center in Allen Park and have been satisfied there.

They are no longer a "Belle Tire". They are now Tredroc Tire Services. The Allen Park location is VERY close to the Henry Ford. You'll drive right by it on the bus if you do the Rouge plant tour. They also show a Toledo Ohio location (that may be closer to your motorhome) at their website, but I've have never been there.
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Yahoo,
Some help here. I most certainly appreciate all your help, experience and suggestions here. When I originally posted this, it was on IRV2 and, as stated, we were in Frankenmuth. But, we've migrated southward and are presently in Harbortown RV park and campground. Man, what a nice place. 10-10-10 is what it's rated. It can get a bit crowded in here but, still, a well kept place with flat and level concrete pads with grass on both sides.
Anyway, we're keeping the coach here at the park for the next day or two while we cruise up to the Henry Ford exhibits, museum and all that stuff tomorrow. I did see the Belle tire on line but, as has been stated, they only show passenger car stuff on line. So, while up there, in the area, I'll maybe cruise by and talk with them about getting some front skins and, maybe an alignment.

et2,
I really, really want to thank you for your suggestions here. If we were still in Frankenmuth, we'd be heading towards those suggestions of yours tomorrow. But, I don't know if it's just us, or, Just MICHIGAN or what but, we've encountered THE WORST ROADS we've ever been on, while traveling just about the entire state of Michigan. I'm surprised my windshield is still in the front of the coach.
With all that being said, I surely would not want to re-cover or, back track on any of those seriously bad roads. We've been beating our coach to death the last few days.
So, going what we call "forward" which is heading south and east, maybe we'll get a chance to ride on smoother roads. But, a stop at maybe Belle Tire is in order, BEFORE that front right turns into a completely SQUARE tire. Thanks again for all the help here folks.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
s N s wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
Scott

I am going to steer you to a company that I have had a good working relationship with for decades.

Belle Tire (belletire.com) (the website only references passcar stuff)
Headquarters
1000 Enterprise Drive
Allen Park, Michigan 48101
Phone 888-GO-BELLE (888-462-3553)

The city is Allen Park that boarders Dearborn.
Target exit 206 on I-94. They are just south of that exit. This is their actual commercial location.

They can do alignments there and unlike Harold's, they never tried to over sell me.

They are always busy, I suggest that you call for an appointment for an alignment.

Please let me know how you are treated there.

Matt

I'll 2nd this place for a recommendation.

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Scott

I am going to steer you to a company that I have had a good working relationship with for decades.

Headquarters
1000 Enterprise Drive

Target exit 206 on I-94. They are just south of that exit. This is their actual commercial location.

They can do alignments there and unlike Harold's, they never tried to over sell me.

They are always busy, I suggest that you call for an appointment for an alignment.

Matt

I'll 2nd this place for a recommendation.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

et2
Explorer
Explorer
These are about 45-55 minutes south of Frakenmuth. Take I 75 south to 23 south to I96 east. About 15 minutes after getting on I96 you'll start hitting the exits for these places.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Scott

Headquarters
1000 Enterprise Drive

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.