cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NC coast in Feb...would you do it?

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Our first grandbaby is due in Jan down in Jacksonville NC. There is a nice CG with full hookups that we stayed at over Thanksgiving so we can stay there but I wanted some opinions from those that have more experience on comfort that time of year.

Average low is 30 and High of 55 for the area.

The kids have a large house so they have room but I wanted some opinions from the forum...would you stay in the RV or not?
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)
20 REPLIES 20

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the grandchild. We have our 4th on the way (due Feb 15) to our middle son and his wife in Keswick, VA near Charletsville and its their first.

We are heading there Dec 25 and staying through ~ Jan 5 in the RV. We've been there a few thanksgivings with lows in the 20's, highs in the 40's and did just fine with the furnace. This time I'm taking a few electric heaters as well to help, but still plan to use the furnace to keep my bays warm.
Since we are only there for a week or so, I'm planning on only hooking up power. I will fill water and dump as needed, but we normally do pretty good for ~5-6 days. I have a 38 gallon onboard propane tank and full is 30.4 gallons, so should be fine for the week. My furnace setting will only go down to 63, so that is about as cold as it gets inside. 🙂

Enjoy your trip and safe travels
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
^^Good point...we are fortunate in that our (tanks) are heated via electric pads.

Gary

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Just be aware, if you use portable electric heat and not your furnace you may not be getting heat into you tank and wet bay areas so monitor those temps. Most class A's warm those areas with furnace ducting and need the furnace fan to get heat in there.

Also check your storage bays for freezable stuff if they aren't heated. I once froze a bunch of soft drinks and the cans broke and got sugar water all over the place.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Carolina Beach last Feb...yep, it was a tad cold at night but nothing our electric heater couldn't handle. The coast is a great place to visit during the Winter.
Enjoy,
Gary

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Blutoyz wrote:
Lantley wrote:
You don't show what kind of RV you have. But I see no issues staying at the CG in those temps. Highs in the 50's is pretty moderate and not really that cold.
Being from RI, NC will seem warm in Feb.

I thought I set it up in my profile, I will fix that for
future reference....thanks

You are correct it is in your profile, however it would be easier for others to see if it were simply in your signature line.
Most of us are too lazy to make that next click...LOL;)

I am the same way so I added a pic in the sig now....Thx

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
No problem. We lived NE of there (Cedar Island-Morehead City) for about 12 years. Last year was the first time my uninsulated irrigation PVC froze. Rare to get freezing for more than a day or so. Have been in shorts many years. Wind is the curse but you're inland and it won't be a factor.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Blutoyz wrote:
Lantley wrote:
You don't show what kind of RV you have. But I see no issues staying at the CG in those temps. Highs in the 50's is pretty moderate and not really that cold.

You are correct it is in your profile, however it would be easier for others to see if it were simply in your signature line.
Most of us are too lazy to make that next click...LOL;)
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
We just spent 10days in Maryland over Thanksgiving seeing kids with most nights 28-35 degrees. Ran one ceramic space heater and the furnace and stayed warm enough. As previously stated does go thru propane but only took 7 gallon to refill when I got back home. Also every year we go to Myrtle Beach the last week of Jan or first week of Feb and night are usally cold but no problem. We like cool weather camping.

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
Our grandkids are in Greenville, NC. We have camped there in a motorhome at all times of the year. It's OK.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Your first grandbaby, and likely the first for the other "new" grandparents, and you have how many new aunts and uncles that will all be joining in on the festivities? Your DW may insist on staying there for a few days, early on at the least, but space is probly going to be at a premium, so I would provide your own space since you have the option.
And,,,, Congrats.

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies, this is the encouragement that I needed. Now to convince Wifey...LOL

1. I have a Lasko oscillating heater that keeps the coach warm so check that one off.
2. The kids have a 3rd car for a loaner so the driveway parking is not needed. The CG is only $175/week and the wifi and hookups are good

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If the campground has running water over the winter months, you'll have no problems camping there. Your camper should be fine. You may want to make sure you are completely full with propane, and run one tank at a time so you know when one tank is empty to get it refilled immediately. That way, you'll never run out completely. You might want to bring along an electric space heater too. That helps a lot too. Nothing wrong with bringing along an electric blanket or two either, if you have one. The amount of propane used will be anyone's guess. It all depends on the outside temperature and how well your camper is built, what temperature your thermostat is set at, plus how often the door is opened and closed.

We winter camp as long as possible. When temps get to about 10 degrees, we move back into the house. By then, we are going through about 1 thirty pound tank every 4 days. But each camper is different.

There's no reason why you can't do it. Go, enjoy the new grandbaby and have a GREAT time!