cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National Tradewinds question

donnyB7
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to decide if I want a Class A or a 5er. For the Class A, I have two people selling National Tradewinds diesel pushers. One is a 2002 and the other is a 2003.
I know that National is out of business, so am concerned that if these 15 year old motorhomes should break, I will not be able to get replacement parts. I have looked at both and they seem to be well maintained with maintenance records. They both have brand new tires. The 2002 has had a few maintenance problems. The hydraulic hoses on the leveling system and a few other things. Both have just less than 50k miles and are advertised at about $45-50k. I really like the National coaches. What things should I worry about? Will I be able to get replacement parts if needed?
5 REPLIES 5

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I have a National Tropical and it doesn't concern me in the least. Motorhome makers don't make motorhomes. For the most part they assemble them. The only thing they make are body parts and those parts can be fixed by anybody. Anything that may break on the motorhome that I may have to fix was built by somebody other than National. The expensive stuff is mostly Freightliner, Caterpillar, and Allison. All still in business. And if I break a body part such as the front or end cap, then it's going to be my insurance companies problem to figure out a way to repair or replace it as any damage to those parts would be something covered by insurance.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 1999 National Tradewinds 7370 and have been from east to west and north to south with very few problems. The Cat engine is flawless as long as maintained. The Freightliner chassis is solid and everything inside can be replaced with like products.

We have a Generac generator that has been worked on several times but always fixed. Replaced front air bags. Worked on levelers once. Fixed dash air once. And other than batteries and tires, all is good.

I don't know about price but you could look on PPL website and see what some recently have sold for. We have about 92,000 on ours and we like it a lot.

PM me if I can answer some questions for you. Best to you as you search and make a decision. Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

sundance_8
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 Tradewinds (Spartan Chassis) and once I got the correct shocks on it we love it. Have hit all of the lower 48 and will be living in it while we build our new house. Have the Cummins 300 and tow a Saturn on a dolly.
www.threedogsandus.com

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
The only parts that might be unavailable will be body parts. The rest will be from suppliers that are more than likely still in business. However, with a 15 year old coach from a manufacturer still in business, you probably will have the same issue with body parts.

X2 and even with some of the unique body parts, most are repaired with fiberglas material. Not much else there, that's strictly National. They made some good coaches and we had a used Trop i cal for 9yrs before selling last year.
There other nice coaches out there in that year and price range, as well and with brands that are still in business, like AMERICAN COACH for instance.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
The only parts that might be unavailable will be body parts. The rest will be from suppliers that are more than likely still in business. However, with a 15 year old coach from a manufacturer still in business, you probably will have the same issue with body parts.