cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 12 lights and other appliances do not work from battery

CHIEFTOM
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a 2003 R-vision Trail Lite M-231 25 ft motorhome. The 12 volt lites and other 12 v operated items on the coach work fine when the RV is plugged or when the gen set is running but do not work from the battery. I have 12v power at the inverter fuse panel when not plugged in does not get to the lites. I found a switch just inside the door labeled battery disconnect and it has a on and storage position but moving it between positions doesn't seem to do anything. Haven't got to the back of the switch yet as it seems to be sealed in with spray foam from the back side. The two coach batteries were replaced by the previous owner this month and are located at the front of engine under the hood. The battery wires run to two solenoids just above the batteries. Any ideas or assistance will be appreciated.
28 REPLIES 28

CHIEFTOM
Explorer
Explorer
Photo of the battery disconnect solenoid box and breakers.

CHIEFTOM
Explorer
Explorer
Photo coming as soon as I figure out how to do it.

MrWizard
Possibly an intetec battery control center
A picture of the inside, somebody might be able to give you some more info ,
Mfg design changes slightly over the years
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CHIEFTOM
Explorer
Explorer
By the way you were correct that one of the 5 amp fuses next to the disconnect solenoid does control the solenoid. The cover for that panel does not look like it is the original cover , just a square piece of plastic so I don't know what the other 9 fuses in there control. Was hoping someone on here would have a similar R-vision motorhome and would be able to help. This is just a low budget project I picked up to use for local trips around the San Antonio area which may include the coast , only 150 miles away, or the hill country which is much less than that.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First I would like to thank you from the top of my keyboard for returning and telling us what you found.

Far too many we never hear from 'em again. So thank you.

I know when the tech did the pre delivery tour he missed one fuse box. Thankfully I discovered it... ONE DAY before I blew a fuse in it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CHIEFTOM
Explorer
Explorer
It was a resettable circuit breaker. Pickup a new one just in case it keeps popping.

Thanks to all for the help. I guess I get a little frustrated when I get treated like a total rookie. I have been fixing my own stuff for a long time because as a poor enlisted AF person we didn't make enough money to hire anyone to fix stuff for us. Now I can afford to have someone fix stuff but get much more satisfaction doing it myself. Hope all will forgive me.

MrWizard
Good to know what the problem was, and had been resolved
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CHIEFTOM
Explorer
Explorer
Found the problem. It is a circuit breaker devise downstream from disconnect solenoid. Thanks to all

CHIEFTOM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Tom

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok on the solenoid. When your partner operates the swich do you hear a CLUNK?

Check the SMALL terminals. they should have no power.. Hook a light to 'em (I also have test lights that have clips on both leads instead of a probe)

the light should light no matter which way the switch is pushed.

IF this is not the case I'd first check all 5 amp fuses in the BCC compartment (not the house fuse panel) if all good (either dark dark or bright bright) Pull 'em. all of 'em. operate the switch like 50-100 times both ways, Replace the fuses and see if it works now.. If it does....

Make a decision:
Buy lotto tickes cause when you hot you hot
Do not buy lotto tickets cause you done used up your luck this week

(I was in Las Vegas when it worked for me by the way)

After that you need to throw money at it.. Sad to say..

IF the light lights both switch positions (Use/Store dark in Resting) Then the solenoid is what you throw money at May be defective. bypass for now.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Your converter uses the same electrical paths as you batteries. If you have power when plugged in, but not when unplugged, the problem may be with your batteries?
Wildmanbaker

CHIEFTOM
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I checked this morning and I do have power on both sides of the solenoid. but still not getting back to fuse block on converter when not plugged in. When I plug in to shore power 12 volt lights work. After having it plugged into shore power and when I first disconnect the shore power lights stay on but not as bright, got some readings of 8, 9 or even 14 volts at converter fuse panel . Not the same every time. Could it be a bad , poor ground. I check up by the batteries and that ground seemed good. The gen set uses the house batteries not the engine start battery to start and that works fine. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just read where you found and tried the salesman switch... Missed that on the first read... My story follows:

I have an intelletec Battery Control system This uses a small 3 position rocker switch just inside the door USE/resting/Store Spring return to Resting.

And under the hood in teh "BCC" box is a magnatic latching Solenoid . I've never actually seen it but they look a bit like Ford Starter Relays.. Two big bolts and two small. the two small are the control.. In the BCC are test points More on those in a bit. also a 5 amp fuse. (Several in fact).

You apply power one way to the two small screws the thing goes CLUNK and you have power. the other way it goes CLUNK and you no longer have power (logical)

Well you hook a test light up to the test points. have a partner operate the USE/Store switch If the light lights.. You have a bad relay.. NO light you have either a blown switch or a blown fuse or a bad wire.

I'd start by testing the fuses. Find a good ground and touch the AUX terminal in the BCC (known hot) or the main. (Also known hot) bright light good.
now each blade fuse (at leat the 5amp ones) touch the small metal square in the windows.. Bright Bright good. Dark Dark not the fuse you are looking for Bright Dark bad.

THen we get to the switch. But you can jumper to the test points to get power back.. I won't tell you how this post though as its a tad tricky.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
CHIEFTOM wrote:
Executive wrote:
Since you apologized to LadyRVer, I'm assuming you received a PM from her for your snide and rude answer to her post. I've learned in my 75 years on this planet NEVER to assume anything. Just the fact that someone took the time to read your post and respond, no matter whether it was helpful to you or not should at least warrant a thank you nod.

That said, the easiest way to post a picture is to click on the link below, drop, drag or search for your photo and enter it in the box. Cut and paste the link it provides into your post. Nothing else needs to be done. Be sure to hit Ctrl D to bookmark the link for future reference.....Dennis

Photo posting

You should know that after 75 years "assuming she sent me a pm is the reason I apologised" can also be interpreted as " ass of you me" maybe just you because after reflecting on my comments I elected to apologise completely on my own.

Maybe you'd have better luck getting help if you weren't such an a$$.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS