cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mufflers for 2005 workhorse with GMC 8.1

TimfmCT
Explorer
Explorer
Are mufflers specific to different RVs. IE: back pressure etc.
Tim fm CT in our home sweet dome
2005 Tiffin 32BA workhorse GM 8.1
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
2005 HD Superglide
6 REPLIES 6

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest Flowmaster

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

TimfmCT
Explorer
Explorer
Hank MI wrote:
It's typically a combination of the sound level you're trying to achieve and the engine. Too little back pressure, not really a concern, maybe if you're running open headers. With a full exhaust system, stock exhaust manifolds, catalytic converter, mufflers, it's nothing to worry about.

So it comes down to what fits and what sound are you willing to put up with. Any stock type muffler that fits should be good. If you're willing to put up with a little more noise there are other options. You probably won't even hear the difference from the driver's seat and they can improve performance, marginally.

Thanks Hank. If I have to replace the mufflers anyway, what muffler options do I have? I sure wouldn't mind a little improved performance
Tim fm CT in our home sweet dome
2005 Tiffin 32BA workhorse GM 8.1
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
2005 HD Superglide

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Yes, mufflers are usually designed to fit the space available and provide the correct amount of back pressure. Too little back pressure can eventually burn the exhaust valves and too much can cause the engine to lose power, etc.

This is another old wives tale. Your valves work better with no back pressure. The better exhaust systems/headers actually create lower pressure at the valve that promotes better exhaust scavenging.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
It's typically a combination of the sound level you're trying to achieve and the engine. Too little back pressure, not really a concern, maybe if you're running open headers. With a full exhaust system, stock exhaust manifolds, catalytic converter, mufflers, it's nothing to worry about.

So it comes down to what fits and what sound are you willing to put up with. Any stock type muffler that fits should be good. If you're willing to put up with a little more noise there are other options. You probably won't even hear the difference from the driver's seat and they can improve performance, marginally.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is more of a combination between the power train and the type of vehicle.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, mufflers are usually designed to fit the space available and provide the correct amount of back pressure. Too little back pressure can eventually burn the exhaust valves and too much can cause the engine to lose power, etc.