cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mountain Driving

skiwhiz
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased Cass A Traveller motor home Ford V10 Automatic. Would like hints for driving/barking in mountains, passes etc, all help and suggestions welcome ??????
25 REPLIES 25

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Be prepared for the hills by being in the right gear just before going up/down steep slopes.

If you have to downshift on a steep downhill grade, be aware that your rear tires may drag on a slippery road surface which could be tense if the rear end starts to pass you. Ask me how I know........... Parking might be the best course of action if the roads are slippery.

Just take it easy, and you will have no problems. IMO, the biggest thing is to know your vehicle and how it reacts to your steering/braking input.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
I believe the gasser doesn't have the Tow Haul mode where you can tap the breaks and slow it down like diesels. When we had a V10 truck and towed a travel trailer, we had to do the slow lane with the semi's and slow it way down, then pump the brakes at the end to keep them from seizing up.

Our 2008 F250 V10 does and it works great. It would be shocking if a much newer MH doesn't.

I believe what you are thinking of is an exhaust brake. Since a diesel doesn't have a throttle to choke off, it gets very little engine braking effect. An exhaust brake has as similar effect but works by restricting the exhaust rather than the inlet. This is common on most newer diesels.

Worst case, if it doesn't, just manually downshift for a similar effect.

Well, I learned something new. We had a 1999 V10 F250. No tow/ haul mode, but when we bought our 2011 F350 diesel, it came with a tow/ haul mode and a tap of the break slows it down.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ReneeG wrote:
I believe the gasser doesn't have the Tow Haul mode where you can tap the breaks and slow it down like diesels. When we had a V10 truck and towed a travel trailer, we had to do the slow lane with the semi's and slow it way down, then pump the brakes at the end to keep them from seizing up.

Our 2008 F250 V10 does and it works great. It would be shocking if a much newer MH doesn't.

I believe what you are thinking of is an exhaust brake. Since a diesel doesn't have a throttle to choke off, it gets very little engine braking effect. An exhaust brake has as similar effect but works by restricting the exhaust rather than the inlet. This is common on most newer diesels.

Worst case, if it doesn't, just manually downshift for a similar effect.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allow extra time to go slower both up and down the hills. Enjoy the ride. Don't make it a race.
Check back in if you have any issues that did not seem to go as expected.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get familiar with the tow haul feature. It can save your brakes and more important things too.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What I do climbing steep grades, is fall behind big rig that is doing what my MH likes. Going down the hills, go slower then big rigs to save my brakes. Big rigs have exhaust brakes to help them.
In some cases, I slide over onto the shoulder to let cars and whoever go by. Don't forget to use slow vehicle turn outs.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

RWjSIM2003
Explorer
Explorer
When going down hill I use the tow haul mode weather towing the toad or not. if you hard tap brakes tranny will down shift if that is not enough hard tap again until you get to speed desired. Tranny will hold in that gear until you give gas and then will shift up again. On long grades I slow down at top so I can control the speed starting there don't wait until you going down to fast then start trying to slow down. If you need to use brakes I apply hard to get down to speed desired and let the tranny work after that don't ride the brakes. It's easy once you get use to your coach and controlling the speed.

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Enblethen hit key points. Having lived decades at 9000' I'd add on ascents be happy with slower speeds. Those 18 wheelers in the right lane going 5 or 6 miles an hour, you may have to do that, depending on how your gasser behaves at altitude. You will lose approximately 3% of your horsepower for every 1000 ft above sea level. And I would reinforce the idea of using your transmission to hold your speed on the downgrade. Keep your foot off the brake. When you get up a few miles an hour faster than you like, that's the time to use the brake just to bring it down four or five miles an hour. That way they will be available should you need them in an emergency. Nothing worse than having hot brakes fail when you need them the most. An aside, those emergency off ramps will just about tear your vehicle apart if you have to use one. Truly last ditch option.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Don't try to do the posted speed.
Let the transmission shift down on its own, then when it starts searching for a gear select it manually.
Shift transmission to lower gear descending steep grades.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Use low gears. Generally the same one you used to ascend. Never ride your brakes. Slow down using your brakes and transmission to 15 to 20 mph below what you consider safe. Donโ€™t use any brakes until you reach a speed just over what you consider safe. Pull off and let the brakes cool anytime you believe necessary. It is not a race. Learn to enjoy descending. Ignore those behind you until you can safely pull over.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad