Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microwave doesn't work on the genny....

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
It is quite strange actually...

It has power and turntable rotates but it doesn't cook. Get to the campground, plug in, and it works fine. I can't imagine that a 4500 watt gen won't run a microwave.

Has anyone else run into this?
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)
25 REPLIES 25

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
CVD wrote:
Interesting discussion - is "adjusting" the generator commonly needed? Of course I change the gen oil and air filter, but haven't known of other needed maintenance.

You can only tell if it is needed by using a meter to monitor it. I'm guessing that every generator is different. I keep my meter plugged in at all times so that when the generator is running, I can tell at a glance if everything is OK.
Sort of like checking shore power to insure that the voltage is not too low or too high. The same meter will do that also.

I agree a freq meter is certainly the best way to check and adjust the generator. I'd also repeat that the OP's symptoms are a classic microwave frequency issue that is not likely to be caused by any other generator related condition except frequency. A high or low voltage will not do it, although it can certainly cause other problems.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
CVD wrote:
Interesting discussion - is "adjusting" the generator commonly needed? Of course I change the gen oil and air filter, but haven't known of other needed maintenance.

You can only tell if it is needed by using a meter to monitor it. I'm guessing that every generator is different. I keep my meter plugged in at all times so that when the generator is running, I can tell at a glance if everything is OK.
Sort of like checking shore power to insure that the voltage is not too low or too high. The same meter will do that also.

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
That little cheap Kill-A-Watt meter will tell you exactly what your frequency is.

Yes it will... When one is available. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, it is hard to find a Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, etc. Why guess at what the problem is when for $20 you can find out exactly?

How about because the last time I used a microwave to adjust a generator I was 15 miles back in the woods on hiking trip and helped the Forest Service spotter at a fire watch tower get her generator running closer to specs? I don't carry a Kill-A-Watt in my hiking pack, and I wasn't about to run out and get one. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Even where we are right now, it's about 50 miles to the nearest town with a store likely to carry the meter if I didn't have one with me. Adjusting a generator without a volt/freq meter at hand is only intended as an interim fix until the proper test equipment is on hand to make the final adjustments. Kind of like back in the old days when we gapped points and plugs with a cardboard matchbook cover. One thickness for points, two for plugs. Close enough to get you home...

I understand what you are saying but I would not suggest that the OP start adjusting his generator without finding out first if that is the problem. Of course I am assuming that he is not out in the middle of nowhere. He may be messing with a generator, that is working fine and well within specs, that was not the problem. Playing with the adjustments may damage other equipment before there is an opportunity to get the generator properly calibrated. From his post, it didn't appear to be an emergency situation.

No worries...it is not an emergency at all. I plan on an oil change on the genny this spring and will grab one of these meters to set everything when I do that. I don't boondock but noticed this at a rest stop on the road when I went to nuke a samich

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
That little cheap Kill-A-Watt meter will tell you exactly what your frequency is.

Yes, it is hard to find a Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, etc. Why guess at what the problem is when for $20 you can find out exactly?

How about because the last time I used a microwave to adjust a generator I was 15 miles back in the woods on hiking trip and helped the Forest Service spotter at a fire watch tower get her generator running closer to specs? I don't carry a Kill-A-Watt in my hiking pack, and I wasn't about to run out and get one. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Even where we are right now, it's about 50 miles to the nearest town with a store likely to carry the meter if I didn't have one with me. Adjusting a generator without a volt/freq meter at hand is only intended as an interim fix until the proper test equipment is on hand to make the final adjustments. Kind of like back in the old days when we gapped points and plugs with a cardboard matchbook cover. One thickness for points, two for plugs. Close enough to get you home...

I understand what you are saying but I would not suggest that the OP start adjusting his generator without finding out first if that is the problem. Of course I am assuming that he is not out in the middle of nowhere. He may be messing with a generator, that is working fine and well within specs, that was not the problem. Playing with the adjustments may damage other equipment before there is an opportunity to get the generator properly calibrated. From his post, it didn't appear to be an emergency situation.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Dutch

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Dutch

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I would say the OP's problem very strongly suggest the frequency is off a bit too far..
very educated answer.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Microwave ovens are quite frequency sensitive since the magnetron used in the US is designed to operate on 60 hertz with only a small variation allowed. The turntable turning, etc, with no heating, is a common problem when folks take a US microwave oven to a foreign country where 50 hertz is the standard. I would say the OP's problem vary strongly suggest the frequency is off a bit too far. I've used a microwave to test for frequency accuracy when tuning up a generator when my freq meter wasn't available. It's not a perfect test, but it's pretty close.

I think you nailed it....Thanks

Bill

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Microwave ovens are quite frequency sensitive since the magnetron used in the US is designed to operate on 60 hertz with only a small variation allowed. The turntable turning, etc, with no heating, is a common problem when folks take a US microwave oven to a foreign country where 50 hertz is the standard. I would say the OP's problem vary strongly suggest the frequency is off a bit too far. I've used a microwave to test for frequency accuracy when tuning up a generator when my freq meter wasn't available. It's not a perfect test, but it's pretty close.
Dutch

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
I had this happen last year. Checked my EMS and the power frequency was out of spec. I don't remember what the numbers were, but it was still close enough that everything else worked. Generator had to be serviced.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my last MH, the microwave would not operate on the generator even though the clock, lights on the mw would work fine. What I found was that the gen was putting out too much or not enough voltage (I forget which). Adjusted it, and the MW started working as expected.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT