cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michelin vs Toyo tires

NOWANTSNOWARRAN
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased 2006 Monaco La Palma. 24,000 miles. Great coach. Had Michelin tires on it but datd code was 2005. I did a lot of internet research and bought some Toyo m154's. The coach was a great driver on Michelin's. I drove home after the change and it was terrible. Wandered and rear swayed terribly. Did another internet search and learned about sway bars, quick fixes and safe t steer. I checked under the motor home and was disappointed to discover a safe t steer and upgraded anti sway bar.

Did I screw up? I'm considering going back to Michelins. This was a really expensive mistake if I have to replace the Toyos. Any thoughts?
33 REPLIES 33

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
A comment and a question.

Weigh the coach and match the weight per tire to the inflation chart for your size of tire. My Winnebago went from almost undriveable using plate pressure to pretty good.

What is Michelin's recommendation re age before replacement on their motorhome tires?
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

RodLyle
Explorer
Explorer
Have been motor homing Class A for 36 yrs.

On fourth MHโ€ฆ.all have had Michelins , would use no other

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Never heard of "breaking in" a tire. What changes occur in the tire when it's broke in?

Richard

Thanks thouht it was just me I also never heard of breaking in tires!:D

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of "breaking in" a tire. What changes occur in the tire when it's broke in?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
I am on my 2.125nd set of Michelins (had to buy just one recently). The first set still looked brand new when they came off despite their age, and I am 18 months into a set of Energy Z Coach tires (315 / 335s on 22.5s) . They are absolutely fantastic in terms of road holding, ride quality, and emit almost no road noise at any posted speed. Better than the already great set I had before. I have heard Toyos are a fine tire too, but when you're talking many thousands of dollars either way, I went with what I thought was a safer bet based on prior experience.

Gottahaveit
We always had Michelin and went with Toyos this year. Not disappointed.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My tire dealer recommended Toyo. I've been using them since 2011
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Any RVer looking for 22.5" tires needs to check the various forums on the internet. You'll find lots of information on Michelins.
2014 American Eagle

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a former truck driver myself the first few thousand miles on new tires on my tractors always had them โ€œ Squirrley โ€œ the thick tread needed to break in. I hated the first few trips but they always settled in.
Iโ€™m not sure but Michelin Motorhome specific tires Iโ€™ve always believed are made with much less tread and a softer sidewall for โ€œrideโ€ concerns of motor home drivers. Motor home drivers are used to โ€œcarโ€ ride and pretty picky expecting a โ€œCadillac rideโ€ .from what is essentially a truck or bus chassis Long term mileage and constant use / abuse durability isnโ€™t a priority on very low mileage vehicles.
My toyo 144 have been great they settled in pretty quickly.
Bill

NOWANTSNOWARRAN
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I love about forums. So many experiences and stories about what works. I am going to reduce pressure in new Toyos to around 90 and then see if putting 2000 miles on them makes a difference. I have no weight above curb weight yet. I don't want to introduce to many variables at once. Thank you all for great info for this Newbie. God bless.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have only been in the class A world for a few years after 3 decades of towing TTs, 5ers, and toyhaulers. Every time we got new tires for our tow vehicle, regardless of brand, whatever we were towing was swaying all over the road, found we had to break them in as LT tires are made of very hard rubber. To alleviate this issue we ended up buying 2 tires at a time and putting them on front axle for a few months to break them in, then went back and got the second set and rotated the now broken in front tires to the rear. No more issues with sway or rear traction with broken in tires, our HD truck was dedicated to towing our rigs and just sat in garage when we were not out RVing.

The class A we purchased a couple of years ago had a set of Toyos roughly 10 years old although they showed very little wear, private seller dropped price $3K and we drove our new to us rig back home nearly 1K miles through blistering record setting TX heat. It drove great, tires being well broken in and scorching heat kept us glued to the road, got home and replaced with the same Toyos M154.
First time out on highway were were all over the place, checked pressure and tire store had them at max psi, prior Toyos only had roughly 85/90 psi. Dropped psi in new Toyo tires to around 90 and drivability improved dramatically, after a couple of in-state trips they are now broken in and riding marvelously.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put Toyo M154โ€™s H rated on the front of my unit. Did not really like them until our first short trip. But then they rode as well as the GYโ€™s they replaced. Have also reduced pressures from sticker (92) to weight (83). Rough roads still suck (did before) but not as bad, good roads are good.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
all great replies do them. then rebalence. but at a different shop. I.ve always run mich. no problems.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went from M to T as well no trouble but

I keep telling people here are three pressures almost guaranteed to be wrong
One is the one on the tire "Maxium pressure 110 psi at maximum load of xxxxx pounds. IS the correct pressure ONLY if the tires are at max load (mine were)

The second is the pressure on sticker 95 in my case (WRONG)
and the third is whatever the tire store puts in unless you are specific about the pressure and check it.

Odds are you need to adjust pressure first... Then think about other things.

NOTE: there could be other issues but let's try the FREE fix (Pressure) First... Oh you should have the rig weighed so you knwo the proper pressure in the tires.. RVSAFETY.com is I think the place to start if you want it done properly.

Also not all tire stores balance 22.5's Mine dropped a bag of beads in the tire.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NOWANTSNOWARRAN
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for feedback. All good thoughts. I tried three different tire pressures starting around recommended 100lbs. I have about 400 miles on the new Toyos.