cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MH used newer or older

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
Posted earlier about a potential MH purchase and got valuable feedback so I would like feedback from experienced MH owners. We have a budget of $100, for this purchase. I can 2016 - 2017 gas models, Thor, Coachmen, etc 35ft that would meet our needs. I can also find older, DP 2000 - 2008, low mileage for about the same price, Monaco for example.

Just curious as to thoughts about these types of options. Obviously a lot depends on how the unit has been cared for but assuming any purchase would be inspected for trouble areas I would appreciate thoughts on which you might think would be the better option.
20 REPLIES 20

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
Man those Foretravel are nice.

RichB3125
Explorer
Explorer
Checkout the Motorhomes of TX website. You can see a lot of options in one place - online or in person.

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com

Rich

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
All - thanks for the feedback it is really appreciated. This research project is turning out to be much more difficult than I thought. At this point Iโ€™m pretty much sold on the diesel option. We currently have a 49ft TT that we tow with a F350 Dually diesel and it tows perfectly so Iโ€™m a big diesel fan.

Iโ€™ve found a few options in the 2005 to 2008 range that look good online. Hopefully will start checking so out in person this weekend. Worst case scenario is that we keep what we have. It will still be good.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Isnโ€™t that the truth

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on what Chum Lee stated, do as much research on the various powertrains available for class A rigs and get out and view/drive as many coaches as you can get your hands on. We took our time and looked at coaches in surrounding states eventually driving nearly 1K miles to purchase our 40' class A.

These type of queries will get responses in favor of the rigs currently owned by responders, just good ole human nature and our need to feel superior. Not to mention some of the blanket statements that are simply farcical, best to take responses with a grain of salt, don't rush and enjoy the experience.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Whether you buy gas or DP, spend three times as much time as you think you should deciding on what you REALLY NEED, long term, (based on what you plan to do with it) before you buy. (rather than just impulse buying what you WANT) IMO, buying a MH that doesn't fit your needs (then selling it shortly thereafter) is the FASTEST way to burn through your MH $$$$'s. Short term, . . . . sales taxes, title/registration fees, sales commissions, dealer profit, transportation fees, depreciation, and vanity upgrades cost way more than regular maintenance/repairs on a quality vehicle held long term.

Chum lee

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Everyone is different. I had a 45ft Dynasty with 4 slides. I kept it 1 year, slides were a pain and didnโ€™t need the room anyway. Got a 40ft that wasnโ€™t bad but not enough power. The one I have now is 36, has a full wall slide out and 450hp Cummins. I like it. Consider l sometimes tow a 32ft race car trailer.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
At 35โ€™ you do not need a diesel engine so go to 40โ€™ so you have no choice plus youโ€™ll save a step or two and a fair amount of money. I made the mistake 20 years ago believing 36โ€™ was max for public CGsโ€ฆ not true even in a big rig.
Went to the Tampa Super RV show last month and again was not impressed with the new DPsโ€ฆpoor fit and finish plus very heavy and surprisingly poor CCC. Agree 03-08 (if it has a 06 engine) weโ€™re good years Iโ€™m partial to the Monaco products, especially the bigger ones with a tag axleโ€ฆ 40โ€™ or more. Great handling rigs and well built.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
First off, test drive a gas motor home, and then a diesel.........you'll see the difference. Make sure your test drive includes freeway driving so you can feel how they handle when a big rig passes you. Try driving up a long grade so you can compare power, plus the noise difference between a gas rig when it down shifts and revs up........typically you can't carry on a conversation because of the noise. Right now diesel is about a buck and a half more here in California the gas, so that's a consideration Both Gas and Diesel will get about the same mileage, which is around 8 mpg. I've had 3 gas motorhomes and 3 diesel pushers. Make sure you look hard at the floorplan. One of my diesel motor homes, didn't have any place to put a garbage can under the sink, also the sink in the bathroom, had barely enough room for a tooth brush. Spend some time sitting in it and just looking around for awhile, to visualize what it would be like to stay in it from a comfort level. Typically gas motorhomes are less expensive to maintain then diesels......oil changes are less, tires depending on the years, are bigger then gas, hence cost more. One other thing, if you're looking at older Monaco, stay away from the R4R Chasis........they ride terrible. The R4R's were found on the low end of the diesel line for Monaco, Holiday Rambler and Safari's. Again, test drive over serveral different roads to see how they handle and ride.........Don't be afraid to take it out for 30 or 40 miles test drives, it's one of the best things you can do when thinking of buying.

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
3x on what RichB said. I think is low on his ongoing costs but everyones experience is different. If you go used DP, spend 90 and leave 10 for first year fixes. If you are not handy, not comfortable troubleshooting electrical and mechanical basics then motorhoming may not be for you.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rich is about right. Last year I put 6 new Hankooks on mine for $2500, every year service is about $2-300,and routine stuff I do myself. I got mine new and have kept it in perfect condition. Wash, wax, etc when it needs it and I have every record. Just hit 100k. Miles.

RichB3125
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the deal - I have a 2002 Foretravel with 185,000 miles on it. It cost more than my house when it was built and I bought it used 10 Years ago this month at a very depreciated value. It is extremely well built and the chassis should last for 500,000 miles. But being 20+ years old, it does require maintenance and renovation, just like a house requires new appliances, carpet, paint, roof, etc. Some cosmetic, some required to keep things working. I'd budget $10K for the first year after purchase and another $1K/year for upkeep on the house part of the coach. That doesn't get you a major refresh.

And chassis maintenance and repairs are expensive. The more you can do yourself, the easier on your wallet. Basic parts for engine and generator LOF, air dryer, etc. is probably $300-$500/year. If a shop does it, you're probably at at least $130/hr or more. I can do the basics in my driveway in about 4 hours. I'd budget $2-3K year for chassis upkeep. Tires are $500/each, batteries are expensive but will last if maintained. It cost me almost $3K to replace 3 house and 3 chassis batteries.

We really love the life style and options the motorhome affords us. We plan to keep putting on about 10,000 miles/year as long as I can keep up the maintenance. Then it will be time to look at other options.

Look for one that is well maintained and renovated and pay top dollar or look for one that is well maintained and not renovated and discount it. You can then live with the dated interior or renovate the way you like it.

Rich

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Donโ€™t know which Monaco model you looked at but mine is about that age and since itโ€™s always been stored inside and well maintained it looks and acts like new. $284000 when new. Just make sure everything works and tires arenโ€™t aged out. Records, you want records.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I can't offer an opinion on the gas versus diesel MH as the only type of RV we haven't owned is a gas MH. I can say that the only thing we will have from here on out is a Diesel MH. Our first was a 1999 Discovery and it was amazing. Our second that we just purchased is a 2005 American Tradition.
The 1999 was mechanically and structurally sound but needed updating. Floors, tvs, upholstery. Decided that we would rather put that money into a newer unit. Started in the 2012 - 2015 range and after a year of looking decided that the 2003 - 2008 models offered alot more bang for the buck.