cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for our next motorhome

Emily_Eisenman
Explorer
Explorer
We recently lost our 1992 Foretravel to a fire, and are beginning the process of researching our next motorhome. This was our third motorhome, we worked our way from a Class C Toy Hauler to a 32’ Class C gasser, to this 36’ Class A diesel. She was vintage but she was a beauty. We are keeping a totally open mind and want to explore all our options to go forward.

While we loved the vintage and the high-end build of the Foretravel, DH wants to go newer this time. We expect to buy used, probably less than 10 years old. Price point will hopefully be under $65,000. We are spoiled by the Foretravel build quality but know that a newer one will be WAY out of our price range.

Other considerations:
We are not full-timers, we do a few 2-week trips a year and long weekends at least once a month in the spring-summer-fall.
We may go back to gas (but are intrigued by the Mercedes Sprinter diesels).
We are also seriously considering downsizing to something in the 25’ range.
We prefer a dedicated bed as I stay up much later than DH.
We are not completely ruling out travel trailers, but think we want to stick with self-propelled

I’d love to hear what current brands are the best quality right now, brands to avoid, or any other thoughts or suggestions.

//cross posted in Class C forum, as all options are on the table//
Jack & Emily Eisenman
1992 Airstream Sovereign 21'

Previous: 2014 Winnebago Sightseer 30A
Previous: 1992 Foretravel Grand Villa U-225
Previous: 2004 Monaco McKenzie Rogue
Previous: 2000 Four Winds Funmover Toy Hauler
4 REPLIES 4

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I expect no coach in that price range will live up to your Foretravel. Maybe if you could find a 2000ish Beaver.

Here's one on RVT.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, M, no need to double post.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Emily_Eisenman wrote:
We recently lost our 1992 Foretravel to a fire, and are beginning the process of researching our next motorhome. This was our third motorhome, we worked our way from a Class C Toy Hauler to a 32’ Class C gasser, to this 36’ Class A diesel. She was vintage but she was a beauty. We are keeping a totally open mind and want to explore all our options to go forward.

While we loved the vintage and the high-end build of the Foretravel, DH wants to go newer this time. We expect to buy used, probably less than 10 years old. Price point will hopefully be under $65,000. We are spoiled by the Foretravel build quality but know that a newer one will be WAY out of our price range.

Other considerations:
We are not full-timers, we do a few 2-week trips a year and long weekends at least once a month in the spring-summer-fall.
We may go back to gas (but are intrigued by the Mercedes Sprinter diesels).
We are also seriously considering downsizing to something in the 25’ range.
We prefer a dedicated bed as I stay up much later than DH.
We are not completely ruling out travel trailers, but think we want to stick with self-propelled

I’d love to hear what current brands are the best quality right now, brands to avoid, or any other thoughts or suggestions.

//cross posted in Class C forum, as all options are on the table//

Well, it's doubtful that you'll find a quality unit to fit your budget, that's less than 10yrs old and after having a Foretravel, you might be in for a huge disappointment with an entry or mid-level unit. You won't like the gassers, either, no matter what the quality.
If it'd be me and with repeating myself over and over, I'd look for a side radiator DP and at least for insuring some quality throughout, whether more than 10yrs old or not.
I'm partial to the older American brand and as I said to someone the other day, would recommend an 05 Revolution LE 40E for a $60 offer. Sooner later, you'll get it and one that should fit the bill for you and your DW. This is the 1 1/2 bath model and other floor plans of that vintage are available as well. Just make sure it't the LE!
Good luck!
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at some slightly older Newmar Bay Star Sports if you go the gas route. Several nice units in the 27/28 ft range. Large holding tanks, good tow power.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT