cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for inverter installation in SF Bay Area

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in Concord in the East Bay. I contacted Randy's Mobile who I thought would be a good choice but they never got back to me. Does anyone have any suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Inverters don't like heated and messy engine compartments. Maybe you have enough protected space and ventilation.

3000 watts really should have 6+ batteries to drive the thing. Might get by with 4 but I can't recommend just 2.

Romex is generally fine and commonly used in RVs. Although not designed to be run in conduit so maybe just use the wire loom to protect in critical spots that might rub. Can also get marine triplex stranded wire if you want something more flexible. Custom made battery cables are available too if you are considering DIY.

https://www.genuinedealz.com/products/custom-battery-cable-marine-grade-by-the-foot

It's a class A so "under the hood" is isolated from the engine and very well ventilated. I don't need that much power so I'm returning it in exchange for a 2000 watt unit. Mostly it's for our coffee maker and small vacuum cleaner. TVs are 12v.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inverters don't like heated and messy engine compartments. Maybe you have enough protected space and ventilation.

3000 watts really should have 6+ batteries to drive the thing. Might get by with 4 but I can't recommend just 2.

Romex is generally fine and commonly used in RVs. Although not designed to be run in conduit so maybe just use the wire loom to protect in critical spots that might rub. Can also get marine triplex stranded wire if you want something more flexible. Custom made battery cables are available too if you are considering DIY.

https://www.genuinedealz.com/products/custom-battery-cable-marine-grade-by-the-foot

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds fine to me, but I don't have direct experience with that sort of thing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
Another question...my house batteries are under the hood and I plan to mount the inverter there in close proximity. Would Romex wire housed in automotive split wire looming be a good choice to run from the inverter output for 30' back to the trunk where the shore power cord (or transfer switch) is located?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Teleman wrote:

Do you have a transfer switch?
Yes I do, it's just a manual 3pdt knife switch. Long story, but the switches in inverters are not fast enough to keep my Dtv receiver on, so it's permanently on inverter.

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Sounds like you know what you want. Plugging shore into it is easy, that way everything works. Mine is hard-wired directly to the panel, which accomplishes the same thing.

Do you have a transfer switch?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you know what you want. Plugging shore into it is easy, that way everything works. Mine is hard-wired directly to the panel, which accomplishes the same thing.

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Have you designed the installation or letting someone else do it?

I'm not sure how I want it wired yet. It's 3500 watts, pure sine wave, so it's powerful enough to operate the microwave. Mostly it would be for the coffeemaker and vacuum. It has a remote so that needs to be installed somewhere. We dry camp and don't really ever use shore power so one reasonably simple method is for the output to terminate in a female AC plug which then would have the the shore power cord plug into it. I'd want a relay installed to disconnect the converter when the inverter is switched on. The other option is a transfer switch. It looks like I have two already. This is a bit beyond my skill set so I'm looking for professional help.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Have you designed the installation or letting someone else do it?