Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lesson Learned; Stuck in Sand

Chuck_Sorensen
Explorer
Explorer
Lesson Learned; Stuck in Sand

While recently looking for a camping spot near Kelso Dunes in the California located Mojave National Preserve our Pleasure-Way cleverly drove into the sand and quickly got stuck. Fordโ€™s poor manโ€™s locking differential, the Traction Control System, activation was not felt or indicated on the dashboard display; as it was experienced on a muddy dirt road in the California situated Carrizo Plain National Monument.

Backing out seemed like the shortest path to firmer ground. We did not plan ahead and bring a tire grade air compressor. Reducing tire pressure to about 20 psi is a common tactic to help not get stuck and to get unstuck in sand. Airing down worked with our 1987 Fireball fifth wheel and Ford pick up at the beach.

With the front wheels turned parallel with the vehicleโ€™s length we removed sand from behind all four tires. We had six Lego type yellow plastic leveling blocks and five pieces of wood; each piece about twice the length of a block. Starting at sand levels low enough that the rear tires could get a grip, we made two runways of blocks and wood headed straight back from the rear tires of the van.

Using higher V-8 engine RPM a reverse run was made until the van was stuck, again.

The blocks and boards were now buried out of sight under the van; in line with the front and rear tires. After retrieving the blocks and boards, the above process was repeated four more times to move at total of about 45โ€™ to driveable ground. This drama resulted in three broken yellow plastic blocks and the spinning tires melted the blocksโ€™ plastic and deposited it around the rear tire treads.

We were set up in our final camping spot as the sun set, but there is less urgency about being stuck when you have a camper containing everything you need to spend some time. Unless the tide is coming in.

Chuck Sorensen
Buellton, California
2012 Excel TS
14 REPLIES 14

Chuck_Sorensen
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your thoughts on this topic.

Stan909 - It was past the Dunes parking lot where the dirt road turns to sand. We had already climbed the rings at Hole-in-the-Wall. Camped at Mid Hills Campground just north of there the night before getting stuck.

Smkettner - No 4WDs around. Not planning to change anything; other than staying out of deep sand. :>)

Chuck

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
3oaks wrote:
smkettner wrote:
No 4wds around to help? ๐Ÿ˜ž

Are you planning to change anything? Tires, differential?

I never engage 4wd unless I get stuck when using 2wd. Then I engage 4wd to get out and then stay out. Some terrain is just not meant to be driven over.:S

I'm good but the OP has 2wd. I do carry a tow strap if I came across the OPs 2wd spinning in the sand.

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
In snow there is a hard surface you can eventually reach or dig down to. Not so in sand.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
I drove my 2 wheel drive Superduty for 12 years in Canadian winters and never got stuck.
I go to Florida and have to get towed twice.

Once when trying to leave my grassy site after 3 days of rain.
Once in the sand of an orange grove.

Note to Canadians...you CAN NOT rock yourself out of sand like you can from snow....:S
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
If not well equipped, best to stay out of the soft dry sand. Long runs of carpet has gotten more than a few people out of the dry sand.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

ffjeff
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they are pricy. But they are pretty nice to have.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I now carry a ViAir 88P compressor in the vehicle always. How did I ever manage without it?

I like the look of those MaxTrax, ffjeff, but wow they have a price to match their toughness.

Glad you got unstuck without having to call for professional (read: costly) assistance.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:

I never engage 4wd unless I get stuck when using 2wd. Then I engage 4wd to get out and then stay out. Some terrain is just not meant to be driven over.:S

ffjeff
Explorer
Explorer
If you have room to store these, we use them in Mexico as insurance even with 4WD of in the race car. Maxttacs. They are surprising light and well made.
http://www.maxtraxamerica.com/

toolman1
Explorer
Explorer
It takes a little bit of skill to spot soft sand, unless it's soft everywhere.
We frequent Dumont Dunes, 33 mi. N.E. of Baker Ca. Out there, the winds howl almost weekly, and leave a solid gravel and small rock surface. Driving on that is not an issue, BUT, let several RV's pass over a certain spot, as if in a lane, or caravanning in single file and that dirt quickly turns into a fine powder. Curving around it to virgin gravel is the best bet. If that's not an option, then powering through it at speed will also work. In really soft sand that is everywhere, airing down all tires and speed are you're best ally, and staying in as straight a line as possible is too. Have a target spot to stop, that appears to be more firm before you ever stop.
See ya out there!!
Hooliville member #128

Gary & Lynne.
'04 Dolphin 5320 WH-22 370W Solar
22' Mighty Mover Trailer, 60W. Solar.
Sand Sprite 4. 2.3L EFI sand buggy
'91 Toyota 4X4 longbed Truck
2011 Black Lab "Lucy" for both of us :B

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Was that in the dunes parking lot? I almost took my Dodge there this weekend. If you ever get out are you going to Hole in the Wall?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
azdryheat wrote:
I just saw a video about putting your vehicle's floor-mats under the tires.

I tried that in the snow. Ruined both matts and was still stuck.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw a video about putting your vehicle's floor-mats under the tires.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE