cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leece Deville alternator

m_sessions
Explorer
Explorer
2000 Newmar dutch star cat engine diesel. Our question is: What would cause loss of power from ignition to alternator.
4 REPLIES 4

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
With only one post I canโ€™t tell your abilities on testing??? Are you saying when you turn the key on there isnโ€™t 12V at the alternator or the alternator does not work???
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
... excitation of the alternator field winding come from the voltage regular and / or the engine CPU

Depends on the "vintage" of the charging system !

On older charging systems, the field was "excited" through the key and the "idiot" light. If there idiot light had failed, the alternator would not get excited when you started the engine. It may or may not "self excite" after the engine was running.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If this is a DUVAC alternator, these are the connections:

B+ to battery isolator (large-gauge wire)

Ground-- may be separate wire or may ground through engine (metal to metal)

Ignition hot small terminal/excite terminal-- gets power from any ignition hot connection in engine compartment

Sense small terminal-- small gauge wire connected anywhere on the "battery side of the battery isolator".

The last two are small gauge wires and can break. Pretty easy to check with a digital voltmeter.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MrWizard
Do you mean the alternator is not charging the battery

Power flow is from battery Too ignition
And from alternator to battery

excitation of the alternator field winding come from the voltage regular and / or the engine CPU
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s