cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leak on Lippert Hydraulic system

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small leak on my hydraulic system. The unit consist of a tank, a pump block and the motor. Fluid is collecting at the base of the pump then dripping down. It appears that the fluid might be coming from where the tank bolts up to the pump face. I have tightened up the four bolts that hold the tank to the pump but the leak is still present. I talked to Lippert but all they said was I need to buy a whole new unit. Ain't gonna do that. None of the hoses or connections are leaking. I can't see anything on the pump itself leaking. I am sure I am not the first person to experience a leak like this. If any of you have any comments or have had similar leaks please give me some advice. Thanks!
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
What I would do is remove the reservoir and clean out the O ring area and get dry. Then use Axle grease or a heavy grease to lube the o ring and track and reinstall and make sure the reservoir is supported. This may be enough to keep the DEXRON from seeping out. Doug

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I figured there had to be a gasket or oring between the tank and pump block but could not get anyone at Lippert to tell me. All they said was I needed to buy a whole new assembly. I just don't have thousands to throw away like that.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Second Chance wrote:
There should not be any pressure at the tank/pump interface so, unless the tank is overfilled, fluid should not leak there. I would look carefully at the pump itself and any attached manifolds. I had a leak in our Lippert system - but it was from the manifold that controls the slides.

Rob

When you have a O ring that fails, it does NOT take pressure for the reservoir to leak. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Lippert-177420-2-Quart-Hydraulic-Reservoir-Kit-p/177420.htm

Click the link. What you need is the o-ring. LCI does not sell the o ring. BUT, if you cannot find and match a O ring, buying the reservoir kit is cheaper than a new pump. Also, depending on your year, you may need to make and install a support bracket to support the reservoir to relieve pressure on the O ring and flange bolts. Doug

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
There should not be any pressure at the tank/pump interface so, unless the tank is overfilled, fluid should not leak there. I would look carefully at the pump itself and any attached manifolds. I had a leak in our Lippert system - but it was from the manifold that controls the slides.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015