cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inverter smoking

peterman1
Explorer
Explorer
hey guys i have a class a 2008 fourwinds hurricane and the inverter started smoking and tripped the breaker. anything i should look for. my rv is in rockport tx and im in houston tx. let my nephew barrow my rv because of the severe damage to his house during the hurricane. he called me back and told me that his electrician neighbor checked it for him and said the inverter is pushing electricity back out to the transformer. and suggestions?

pete
11 REPLIES 11

peterman1
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone for the help

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, my INverter failed last year. Unlike a CONverter that gets "weak" overtime, the INverter simply stops doing . Never used it anyway (since 2001).
It controlled the entertainment center (TV)andthe very front electrical outlet and (for some reason) both bedroom outlets. Got no power at all to these. I had the INverter removed and bypassed. No problems. I was, however cautioned not to put anything "big" like a space heater on that circuit. No problem.

Again...FWIW.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok I am going to ASSUME you are comfortable working with COLD (not energized) electrical circuits.

Step one turn it off Unplug from shore. kill generator
Now if there is an inline fuse JUST to the inverter. Pull it. or disconnect 12 volt lead.

Open the 120 volt junction box. Identify the IN and OUT wires and using a sharpie or other marker write IN and OUT on the wires.. Disconnect them from the INverter.

Using any good method (I really do not like wire nuts but they are the easiest

Connect the IN to the OUT.
White to White
Black to Black
and Bare/Green to Bare/Green

Tape all connections to insure safety and security.

YOU NOW have no inverter

Remove inverter to repair shop (NOTE that joining of the Romex really shoudl be done in a nunction box.. Any hardware).

This also assumes you have a sub panel. IF YOU DO NOT get one and run IN to the IN and breakers to the branch outs.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still sounds like the inverter was not properly installed or installation was modified by the user.

Either way you need a new inverter and get the wiring checked.

peterman1
Explorer
Explorer
The hurricane was Harvey from last year.. my nephew and his family have been living in the Rv from October

peterman1
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update electric company said the neutral was over loaded causing the switchover the fry . The light company also said they are not responsible for the damage to the motorhome. Cost 800 to replace

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
"the inverter is pushing electricity back out to the transformer"

Are you saying that the inverter is trying to feed the power grid? If so, that is your first problem.

How long has he been doing this? We haven't had a hurricane in quite a while. Is he trying to feed power to the house?

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
He overloaded the unit first, or possible the fan went bad causing high heat which caused the wires to melt. Either way, replace it.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wanted is a piece of junk,there is a service rep in Houston that works out of his garage. Had one just shy of a year old and they would not honor there warranty. Was told that they are cheap and the reason you find them in a lot of new units.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unplug is the first thing. I would be curious what else this electrician may have done.

Otherwise if you cannot get there I would send a mobile RV mechanic.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
looks like the inverter blew a board...I'd try a reset first and see if that brings it back..if it is a magnum or xantrex..call their customer support Tuesday...I've had great support from Magnum..never used Xantrex
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)