cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I promise...last psi question

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
RE: 2017 Winnebago class A: With my tires aired to required minimum (by factory recommendation... not by weight) steering is very good. But, (we're in Fl and roads get hot this time of year) as miles increase, pressures increase up to and sometimes over 15 psi above starting pressure. This increase in pressure reduces steering stability. I intend to weigh the coach before next trip and will have more reliable info with which to work. However, here's my question: If, for example, the min. psi required by weight is 80, would it be ill advised to start the trip at 75 psi (5 below the 80) knowing that within a very few miles psi will have increased to 80 and above. Starting at 75 would ultimately keep the top-end pressure at at least 5 psi lower than it would have been had I started at the recommended rate thereby making steering somewhat less stressful.
I have mixed feeling about this and would appreciate your comments. By the way, I have had a steering stabilizer and rear trac bar installed. These have helped but...
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
10 REPLIES 10

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
From what I have read and the info I have found that there is no need to be concerned with even a 25% increase in pressure. I would agree if only 1 tire has an increase like that and all the others are 5%, something is wrong. My TPMS manufacturer even recommends setting the max alarm 20-25% over the set pressure. Am I wrong?
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Thermal expansion/thermal equilibrium has always been accounted for in the tire engineering processes. Therefore, the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended cold inflation pressures are the correct inflation pressures for your vehicle, unless the vehicle manufacturer has seen a need for exceptions. Any exceptions will be described in the vehicle owner’s manual.

Are all of your tires increasing more than 15-20% above recommended cold inflation pressures? There are two thoughts that come to my way of thinking. The tires may be entering into a form of fatigue/tread separation. Or, they are overloaded. Some troubleshooting into what loads they are carrying may answer the overheating condition. Side note, make sure your inflation gauge is accurate.

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Also consider the impact of the sun when checking "cold" tires. I have seen a 10# difference from the sunny side tires to the shady side tires in the am before driving.

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
Tire manufacturers account for the psi increase. Are you running a tpms system? I have one and am getting used to the pressure and temperature increases that occur while driving.

Get weighed and pressurize accordingly.

80 psi is your max? What size tires are these? My tires are Max 110psi cold. I'm running at 80 given my weight.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
"5 psi
lower than it would have been had I started at the recommended rate" NO!
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
When My tires heat too much I add 10 pounds (when cold). and repeat as necessary to stop the over heating. your tires should never get too hot to place your hands on.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Inflate based on measured weight - pounds per axle is fine for the weight. Just divide by 2 for the front tires and 4 if you have duallies on the back. The "manufacturer's recommendation" molded into the tire's face is its maximum allowed pressure based on the maximum load it's allowed to carry and is usually way over what you need for the loaded weight of the rig.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
CapriRacer wrote:

Rule of thumb: Operating tire pressures should not increase more than 10% - and anything over 15% requires immediate action.

I don't think that is true AT ALL, at least not for motorhomes.

IF....all of your tires increase about that much, then it is the tire design and the environment that is causing it.....or your starting pressure is too low.

If the fronts increase a LOT more than the rears, then it might be an alignment problem.

The fix for a large increase in pressure NEVER is to lower the starting point. Quite the opposite, in fact.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a part of this post that I find disturbing:

goufgators wrote:
….. But, (we're in Fl and roads get hot this time of year) as miles increase, pressures increase up to and sometimes over 15 psi above starting pressure. …….

Rule of thumb: Operating tire pressures should not increase more than 10% - and anything over 15% requires immediate action.

If I am reading this right, the tires are 80 psi max - so 15 psi is about a 20% increase. Something is wrong and it needs to be addressed.

The obvious thing is the starting pressure. Are you measuring in the cold of the morning? Tire pressures increase about 3% for every 10°F increase in ambient temperature. So if you start when it is 60°F, and get another reading when it is 90°F, you should see a 9% increase just due to the increase in ambient temperature. You shouldn't count that - and I suspect this is a major source of the pressure increase.

So take some careful measurements, taking into account the ambient temperature vs increases due to operating temperature. If you are still seeing high pressure increases - SLOW DOWN!! That's the easiest way to reduce the increase. Then figure out what to do next.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
ALL tire manufacturers recommend checking your air pressure with the tires COLD, before you get on the highway. The tires are designed for any increase in air pressure from temperature increases by friction or by increasing ambient temperatures. The ALL recommend AGAINST removing any air from a HOT tire to bring it down to your desired tire pressure for the sake of a better ride.
The number one thing that reduces tire life and increases the possibility of a blowout is underinflation. This is what you would like to do and they all recommend against it.
Follow the manufacturer's guidelines and inflate your tires at the specified air pressure when COLD, before you drive on them, and then just leave them alone until the next day, when they are cold again.