cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upgrade the camera monitors?

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
My new Tiffin (as with most newer class A's) has rear and side cameras. There are some things that I really don't like about them:

1) When merging left, I am watching ahead and left mirror (obvious, I know). Trying to glance over to the monitor is pointless.

2) The monitor is far to the right, past the radio. It takes your eyes far from the road to look at it.

3) When you hit the signal, the monitor flips to side camera and you loose sight of the things behind the towed. AND, when it switches, you get a blank screen for a second or so while it switches.

4) Lastly, the resolution is pretty low and colors washed out.

What I would love is a set of three big (9" maybe?) high resolution monitors mounted on the dash, just beyond the steering wheel, and not blocking the windshield.

Is it too much to ask? After all, they installed 4 huge, high resolution smart TVs. Why not some better technology on safety items?

Does anyone sell this type of monitor upgrade?
3 REPLIES 3

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Winnipeg wrote:
...some text in quote deleted....

What I would love is a set of three big (9" maybe?) high resolution monitors mounted on the dash, just beyond the steering wheel, and not blocking the windshield.

Is it too much to ask? After all, they installed 4 huge, high resolution smart TVs. Why not some better technology on safety items?

Does anyone sell this type of monitor upgrade?

I am not aware of an upgrade kit, but you can easily do it yourself with components from ebay, amazon, etc.

On the dash (2000 Holiday Rambler..Freightliner chassis..now sold) I had room for three 7 inch monitors without blocking the forward view. Even if you have to buy the cameras and monitors, it is not too expensive. You should be able to use the existing side cameras. A single 7 inch lcd monitor from ebay is less than $35.00

I loved having the three monitors within my vision. I always knew what was behind and around the coach. The side cameras/monitors were also very helpful in heavy rain when the wipers threw so much water onto the mirrors that they became useless.

Here's a picture of the setup we had.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
I installed my own cameras and three 9" displays above my windshield so I continuously have a 24" virtual rear view mirror. Doesn't replace my mirrors, which i use primarily but I can see what's coming up behind me a mile back. It also gives my night vision around the coach.

I still have my Toad camera that just sees 20 feet behind but upgraded the camera and monitor to color (used original wiring).

Can send photos by PM
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
You don't mention what model Tiffin you have, but I'm going to assume it is not a Bus as they have the monitor to the left of the radio.

I have a 2017 Phaeton and my arrangement is like yours, and I would like to talk to the engineer/designer that thought this was a good idea.

First of all the driver is the one that needs the monitor in the position closest to him. The radio should be closest to the passenger so they can operate the controls.

I can't help you with your proposed modification, but I have disabled my turn signal side camera activation. I use my regular and convex mirrors to let me know what's alongside of me. I want my monitor to always show the rear view so I can tell when I am safely past the vehicle I'm overtaking, and/or so I can spot any impatient driver that is about to try and pass me on the right before I can get over (unfortunately this seems to happen a lot in California where my grand children live).
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited