cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much anti-freeze?

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a DP on a Freightliner chassis with the Cummins 6.7l engine that is due for fresh anti-freeze. Does anyone know how much concentrate I need? I need to do the QD6000 generator as well.

5 Gal antifreeze concentrate

This appears to be pretty good deal on some good antifreeze. If I have some leftover I can use it other vehicles.
9 REPLIES 9

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
As an aside, I learned last winter not to dilute RV anti-freeze with water. Here in Nevada cold is a little below zero. The housing that holds my RV water filter froze and broke inside the plumbing compartment.

So we don't confuse the OP or other readers, I ASSUME you are referring to the POTABLE water system anti-freeze.

The OP is dealing with the engine coolant and DOES get to 50/50 coolant concentrate/distilled water.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
As an aside, I learned last winter not to dilute RV anti-freeze with water. Here in Nevada cold is a little below zero. The housing that holds my RV water filter froze and broke inside the plumbing compartment.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Assuming the cooling system has been rinsed with plain water (distilled is best), check the owners' manual for the cooling system capacity. Add half the system capacity with coolant and top off with distilled water.

I assume you don't have the manual and are looking for that capacity number. Sorry I don't have it either.

Thor did not provide a manual specific to my coach. Instead I got a 20lb satchel fuel of manuals from the builders of the components going from the jacks to the TV antenna and the dash radio to the rear view camera. There is one from Cummins but it is a generic manual for the engine with no specifics for the installation. I tried to get a wiring diagram for the coach and was told that there isn't one. That makes me wonder how they built the thing. They told me that there are diagrams from about 2015 forward but that doesn't do me any good.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming the cooling system has been rinsed with plain water (distilled is best), check the owners' manual for the cooling system capacity. Add half the system capacity with coolant and top off with distilled water.

I assume you don't have the manual and are looking for that capacity number. Sorry I don't have it either.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
Don't know what "other vehicles" you mean, but Ford is very specific on what type anti freeze to use in their engines.

I don't run Ford filters or oil in any of my vehicles either. I have never had any issues that can be attributed to coolant, oil or filters. I do make sure that the specifications are met.

My question is about how many gallons of concentrate I need. I am feeling pretty confident that the five gallon bucket will be enough.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
#1Flyboy wrote:
50% full strength antifreeze & 50% distilled is what is USUALLY recommended….. At my business I always aimed for 66% full strength antifreeze & the rest distilled water….. And people always seem to forget that there is ALWAYS some of the old “stuff” left behind in the cooling system ( hoses, engine block, heater, etc ) unless it’s flushed out…. And if you do a good job of flushing then you have some leftover water in your system…. How much is left over in your system???

I do have a concentration checker and I do plan to err on the high side. I don't have chlorine in my water so it is not as corrosive as most tap water. One of the benefits of being on a well. My water heater has been in use for 23 years with no issues.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Don't know what "other vehicles" you mean, but Ford is very specific on what type anti freeze to use in their engines.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
50% full strength antifreeze & 50% distilled is what is USUALLY recommended….. At my business I always aimed for 66% full strength antifreeze & the rest distilled water….. And people always seem to forget that there is ALWAYS some of the old “stuff” left behind in the cooling system ( hoses, engine block, heater, etc ) unless it’s flushed out…. And if you do a good job of flushing then you have some leftover water in your system…. How much is left over in your system???

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never trusted published tables when changing coolant. Measure (eyeball) what drains. If I'm sure will take over 2 gallons, pour in 1 each antifreeze and water. Repeat until not sure will take 2 gallons. Then mix in jug, and always keep some mixed, ready to top off on hand