cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,366 REPLIES 8,366

unionguy1019
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Frizzle, posted the specs when I first joined but will repost for some of the newer members. 26' Coachman Sportsman model sleeps 8 (24 if u stack em properly) Powered by Dodge 440 with Doug Thorley headers feed through a 3 1/2" stainless steel exhaust. Sat in guys side yard for 5 years. His daughter used it as a play house. Day I went and looked at it we put 5 gal gas in tank, 1/4 cup down carb, threw an old interstate battery in her and she fired and run on the 6th roll of the engine. Very next day I was offered $1000 for the motor. Did about $1200 of mechanical work, much not really needed but grandpa always taught me a little prevention saves alot of aggrievation. Anyhow dont owe a nickle on it and already have gotten more enjoyment out of her than what has been spent. Bought chains for the back tires and drove through 9" of snow, 2 mile back dirt road, day after Thanksgiving to my favorite hunting spot and didnt return for 10 days. As you may guess, I didn't buy the girl to let it set tarped over the winter up here in Pa. Got down to 15 degrees and furnace had no prob keeping inside warm. Used less than 20# gas over this 10 days.

Yep I know its a Class A, but still powered by MOPAR
Here comes the [purple]"Chuck Wagon"[/purple]

Mr_Mopar_
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.madras.net/~gcycle/78_clipper.htm

here is a link to a page I started for my American Clipper and when I find the time will post all of the work I have done to her on it.
May the {MOPAR} Force be with you!!
Rodney
Visit my website
1978 American Clipper 21 ft. 440 Dodge.

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
I love this thread!!! Keep it up and pretty soon we'll have the Fords, Chevys, DPs, etc. jealous.

Had to take a break from working on motorhome...opening night for latest (last) Star Wars movie...wife and I have made to opening night of all six. (Don't laugh, my kids don't know how close they came to being named Luke and Leia.)
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

FrizzleFried
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps you have mentioned it somewhere throughout this thread...however, could you please tell what "she" is? Year, length, etc...

Nothin' quite like the "barrel" sound of a big block dodge motor....

MMMMM...MMMMM...Good!

unionguy1019
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, just got a chance to read over all the entrys. Did some remodeling over the winter on the MH. New ceiling, double check that roof leaks were fixed, some minor fix-its. Was ready for a shake down run. Got together with some of my fellow officers of the Moose Lodge and went on a Moose hopping trip. The old girl run flawlessly. The 440 pulled many a hill at 45 to 50. One of the guys on the trip restores classic cars. All through the trip he keep opening the window nearest the exhaust and kept saying, "Oh my that 440 sounds sweet and strong." One of the other guys could not believe I only paid $800 for the rig last summer, and offered $3500 for it. Had to tell him "not for sale." The governer wanted to know if we can consider this our first annual trip.

Getting the girl ready for labor day. The Mrs. and I never enjoyed campground camping so we take the MH about six miles back into the National Forest. Can't wait. Taking it out on 5-25 and returning 6-4. Keep the constant flow of info coming. It sure is nice to read about the problems someone else encountered on some fix ups so that you don't make that same error.
Here comes the [purple]"Chuck Wagon"[/purple]

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
Did you remove the radiator of flush it in place?

xchawk
Explorer
Explorer
Yes grill only gives good access to the front of the radiator.

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
xchawk wrote:
Hi, thanks for all the great idea's. So far I have flushed the radiator, all belts and hoses are good. I am in the process of adding a Transmission cooler today, have blown out the radiator fins and moved the front lic plate which covered about a 2" x 10" part of the lower radiator. I'll let you know if any of this helps. If not my next two items to check are the fan clutch and radiator core.
Keith

You know, after reading a few of these messages, I've noticed my MH does warm a bit while climbing hills. It already has a trans and oil cooler so perhaps I'll also clean out my radiator. My front plate could also be moved out of the way. What do you have to remove to get at the radiator? Grill only?

xchawk
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, thanks for all the great idea's. So far I have flushed the radiator, all belts and hoses are good. I am in the process of adding a Transmission cooler today, have blown out the radiator fins and moved the front lic plate which covered about a 2" x 10" part of the lower radiator. I'll let you know if any of this helps. If not my next two items to check are the fan clutch and radiator core.
Keith

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Update on 1970 Explorer rebuild:

Removed front and rear endcaps. (Yes, it's a Class A but I prefer the company here in the Class C forum. Besides, it's only 23 foot so it's closer to a Class C than most Class A behemoths.) Shook left (street-side) wall...wall collapsed onto the ground in three large pieces and many smaller pieces.

Having a blast, even if I am measuring progress in terms of how many dumpsters I fill.

Found many interesting things...some of the "bass-ackwards" engineering is truly a sight to behold...radiator could not be removed without removing entire endcap...large areas did not have any insulation, not even the scant R3.75 that was in most areas...plumbing system was awe-inspiring...haven't seen so many twists and turns since Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Still working on website.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

FrizzleFried
Explorer
Explorer
Google "free image hosting" and you will get a SLEW of options...I use either photobucket as above, or Imageshack (www.imageshack.com).

westtexus
Explorer
Explorer
Is a 1976 440 supposed to take a 180 or a 195 thermostat? I thought 180, but at the auto parts store they say it calls for a 195.
Westtexus 1991 Fleetwood Flair

Mr_Mopar_
Explorer
Explorer
Cdog wrote:
FF, I do not have a host site for my pictures and this forum does not allow for hosting pics. Most of the forums I deal with only allow posting for their forums any more. I will say that mine looks a lot like yours, but missing the front overhead right now. If I get a time to find a good host, I will be sure and take some pictures and post them.

give this one a try
http://photobucket.com
it works for me 15 mg an its FREE
Rodney
Rodney
Visit my website
1978 American Clipper 21 ft. 440 Dodge.

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Stay tuned...

Cdog
Explorer
Explorer
FF, I do not have a host site for my pictures and this forum does not allow for hosting pics. Most of the forums I deal with only allow posting for their forums any more. I will say that mine looks a lot like yours, but missing the front overhead right now. If I get a time to find a good host, I will be sure and take some pictures and post them.

22' 73 Diamond Class C

03 Crestliner LSi 2485

01 Dakota Quad Cab

63 Newman 17' being restored