cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,366 REPLIES 8,366

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
First thing I did when I got our rig was to change ALL fluids, new radiator, hoses, thermostat and install a transmission cooler. She stayed at 170 regardless of terrain.
Regarding your LOT in Life: Build something on it ... or park your Dodge on it.;)
Bill & Laurie
1976 Dodge Sportsman Midas Mini 226

Mr_Mopar_
Explorer
Explorer
xchawk wrote:
Hi, we are the proud owners of a Dodge class C 1978 and are enjoying are first year as we make the needed repairs to keep her on the road. We pull a 8x16' trailer and the set-up works well. the problem is now that the weather is starting to warm up so is the engine. In the evening or on a cool day we go down the road with the engine at 180 degrees, add a hill or some head winds and that climbs to 200 degrees quickly, and now that the weather is getting warming we are finding that the temp climbs quickly and I'm worried we will end up with overheating problems. It has a 360 engine, does anyone have experience with this and what would be my best solution? Can I install a bigger radiator? or will a transmission/oil cooler help? I would like to solve this before we end up stranded or damage the engine so any help would be appreciated.

Yes check all of the basics.. timing, good thermostat, belts ect.
you didn't say how much the trailer you are towing weighs? you may be asking a lot of the 360 engine. What I found when chasing the over heating problem with my 8000 lb Clipper with a 440 engine was several things.
One was the fan shroud was gone I didn't have one at all.
2 the clutch on the fan was old and in need of a new one.
3 the radiator was OEM and needing a rebuild and when I had it recored I had the largest thickness core installed and dimpled tubes. the dimples are to aid in cooling so I went for that as well.

an aftermarket trans cooler is also a must but I do plumb it in series with the radiator.
I also have installed a larger transmission pan for more oil capacity in the transmission.
good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
Rodney
Rodney
Visit my website
1978 American Clipper 21 ft. 440 Dodge.

Mr_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
xchawk wrote:
Hi, we are the proud owners of a Dodge class C 1978 and are enjoying are first year as we make the needed repairs to keep her on the road. We pull a 8x16' trailer and the set-up works well. the problem is now that the weather is starting to warm up so is the engine. In the evening or on a cool day we go down the road with the engine at 180 degrees, add a hill or some head winds and that climbs to 200 degrees quickly, and now that the weather is getting warming we are finding that the temp climbs quickly and I'm worried we will end up with overheating problems. It has a 360 engine, does anyone have experience with this and what would be my best solution? Can I install a bigger radiator? or will a transmission/oil cooler help? I would like to solve this before we end up stranded or damage the engine so any help would be appreciated.

I have a 1978 Class A and had a similar problem. You need to check timing and thermostat. If you still have the problem it's probably cooling. Mine turned out to be a clogged radiator. It had 19 years of scale on the bottom. I replaced it and when I took it out it weighed a ton. I dropped it on the ground and Rocks came out (Scale). I had it re-cored. And now the needle never leaves the bottom of the warm zone.

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
If it were mine I'd start with a backflush of the radiator and an inspection - it may not be cooling as it should.

Rhonda_K_
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1978 440, it has a transmission cooler on(it had problems running hot). I can't imagine having it without.
Rhonda & Scott
Tasia & her Barbie fishing pool
1978 Tioga 24'
2005 Stingray 185

xchawk
Explorer
Explorer

Shaggy-360-Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a 1977 Dreamer today that has a 360 2bbl with 40,000 miles. Everything seems to work but it needs a little TLC as it's been in storage since 2001... Later, Shaggy.

sandman41
Explorer
Explorer
new v'er wrote:
Sandman,

I used white FRP panels on the interior. Boy did that brighten things.
Hanging fiberglass panels on the ceiling will test the best of marriages:E.

What's your first project?

I got rid of the Green capet down the center and replaced with tile. Much better. Next will get rid of the green carpet by the overhead bunk. Am using Kilz to get rid of ceiling stains after fixing leaks and plan to paint ceiling in off white. Have replaced some molding with matching (the cabinets and some walls) new. A lot of work. Am getting the bug to at least get it shape to go out for a weekend without being self-concious about the old girl. (the MH) LOL. I don't have a HW..LOL AM working on a suburban funace problem at the moment.

thanks
Never say never, Just say, that will take a little longer.
:C

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! This thread has lived a while. Mr. Mopar, we camp from time to time at the Cove. Perhaps we'll see you there sometime?

I just today went to start getting my MH ready for the summer. My alt gauge is in the D area... decharge? Alt not working? I'll follow some advice I saw on another post to trouble shoot that one.

I've replaced my thermoquad with the Edl-1905. One problem that came up is it now runs rich (625 to a 795 cfm) Wonder if adding an aftermarket air cleaner, open all the way around would help? Also considered putting a hose on my current snorkled air cleaner to draw fresh air from the grill but there isn't much room to run the hose.

Another problem with the new carb. is the fuel intake is in rear of the carberator (vs. front as is on TQ) and now I'm experiencing vapor lock! I have to reroute the fuel line away from heat to see if this helps. I have a electronic pump towards the tank and the mechanical and still have the VL...

Today I took all the information on my Onan 4 so I could tune it up. It has 1200 plus hours on it and runs rough.

I'm still debating weather or not to add headers. I've already put new exhaust on it... big stuff dumping out before the wheel. It's a bit louder but I'm a bit of a motorhead and like the sound:>

My grey water tank seems to ooze when it's about 3/4 full... it's made of some kind of plastic and I can see the stress cracks all along it. Anyone ever replaced the tanks before? If so, where do you get them?

One last thing is we're going to replace the rug in the bathroom with tile. Ours has a tub and the kids splash around, get the rug wet and it makes the whole coach smell musty.

That's all for now.

"Munkalido"
1976 Beaver, 23'Monterey
C-class Dodge 440

FrizzleFried
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Cdog...you get any photos of your Diamond yet? I am still looking to see what she looks like. I have yet to see one other Diamond on the road nor in pictures...

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
Just got the buggy back from the shop where they installed the new waste tanks. Should have seen the bill.:E :E:E I reall prefer to do my own work but this was a system I did not know. It took the pros 8 hrs. I don't have the time for that plus the learning curve.
Regarding your LOT in Life: Build something on it ... or park your Dodge on it.;)
Bill & Laurie

blapoint
Explorer
Explorer
Im onboard with a 77 dodge 23 foot sportsman on an M400 frame.

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
Way to go CDog.
I never knew the hours of entertainment I was going to have right in driveway!;) It beats reruns of Raymond.
Bill & Laurie

Cdog
Explorer
Explorer
I really enjoy my Diamond, but I have to admit there are times when I ask myself "What the bleep have I got myself in for?" Right now I am rebuilding the front frame because of a water leak that rotted the wood. With a MH this old, camping is not the hobby. Restoring the MH is the hobby and camping is a side benefit.

22' 73 Diamond Class C

03 Crestliner LSi 2485

01 Dakota Quad Cab

63 Newman 17' being restored

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome ANRVEE.
I say an amen to MR.Mopar.
Complete R&R of the entire roof structure including new vents and fantastic fan,wood around windows, subflooring in the back corners, new fridge, gray and black water tanks, hotwater tank, carpet, sleeper sofa and two new captain's chairs, fiberglass reinforced paneling, new tierod ends, master cylinder, transmission cooler, new brakes, radiator and hoses are just beginning to make me think about the $500 original price tag for the rig. Headers are next.
But you know, I really got a kick out of making the old new. I have no payment book. I feel it's paid for. My sweetie says "Oh you think so!!!":R

Enjoy the journey if you take it. Otherwise, save your money and get one in newer and possibly better condition.

I know what's up with mine. The one ten years newer still has questions.
Bill & Laurie