cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,366 REPLIES 8,366

FrizzleFried
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I recently purchased my first RV...a 1977 Dodge Sportsman F-40 with a 22' "Diamond" coach. I am having one h*&l of a time trying to locate information on it.

Can anyone explain to me what the difference between the B300, A200 and F40 chassis? Also, the kick-down linkage is missing on my engine. The actual kick-down rod is there, but the linkage connecting it to the throttle, etc. is gone. If you have a 1977 Dodge Class-C with a 440ci engine, and would be willing to take photos of the left side of the engine (looking out the windshield), specifically the linkage connecting to the kickdown rod, I would be HUGELY, MASSIVELY, INCREDIBLY grateful! Also...if anyone knows where i can get info on my Dodge F-40, please let me know!

THANKS!!!!!!

Jon

frizfry@trackedaggression.com

xchawk
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, New here but already learning lots. 1978 Dodge B300 360 engine 20' Leisure-Craft 51,000 miles. We just bought this last fall and very happy with it. Everything works and the engine runs great. Only problem is rear main seal leaking, about a quart every 100 miles. Is there a easier way to fix this, without pulling the engine apart?

Thanks

Scruffy5
Explorer
Explorer
My 77 Allegro class A had a problem.The fusible link between the starter relay which is mounted on the frame on mine to the switch circuit burned out. The previous owner did a little creative wiring on his own. causing her not to start. can i use a maxifuse in it's place and how big? the link was gone and a 16 gauge wire rigged up in it's place.I also need some 17.5 tires if anyone knows where to find em! good to see there's more people out here like me,now i won't have to sneak around those new prevosts, ha!
Scruffy 1977 25'Allegro

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
Union guy:

When pulling out the window etc. go slow and take care you don't damage your siding there is adhesion of the tape and suction at play here. I found a dull lineoleum knife gave me the best leverage and had a small footprint on the siding.

I've checked it out and this is what I found from Professional RV repair folks. Windows are butyl tape doors are putty tape the hatches look to me to be butyl. The Pros said they likesd putty tape for all of the applications. Also the suggested that small peices be cut the size of the dips in the aluminum siding and applied to the cleaned siding then an unbroken strip of tape either butyl or putty is applied to the cleaned frame of the window etc. and then fitted into the opening.

CAUTION: Use a plastic knife when trimming the excess so you won't hurt your siding.
Regarding your LOT in Life: Build something on it ... or park your Dodge on it.;)
Bill & Laurie
1976 Dodge Sportsman Midas Mini 226

Cdog
Explorer
Explorer
Got the windows pulled. The caulk was holding so hard, I thought the thing still had screws in it. The lower wood was the only rotted area and the windows frames are in good shape. The wood backing for the joint seam is in fair shape and I will probably go ahead and replace it. My wife wants to pull the trim strip to polish it anyway. With the front window out, I plan on using it to access almost everything for removal and rebuild.

22' 73 Diamond Class C

03 Crestliner LSi 2485

01 Dakota Quad Cab

63 Newman 17' being restored

unionguy1019
Explorer
Explorer
OK need some opinions. Going to re-caulk all the windows in the "chuck wagon". For those that have done this, what do you suggest, silicone, butyl caulk or soft pliable caulk.

Also any ideas on where I can find a tank to carry potable water. Our camping is done in the middle of the woods on National Forest here in Pa., with no hookups, grey and black water tanks are good for 10 to 16 days but run out of fresh water. Looking for something to put into the back of my pickup to transfer to main tank in MH. Just trying to avoid pulling out and driving 12 miles to nearest water source. Did that last year and some inconsiderate camper took my spot. What made me really mad was he also took over my pile of firewood and laid claims to my firering.
Here comes the [purple]"Chuck Wagon"[/purple]

Odd_Couple
Explorer
Explorer
Odometer on our 1972 Class C Melmar on a B300 chassis with a 360 Dodge engine just turned 70,000 at the end of our 1100+ trip to Georgia. What's the highest reading anyone has on an original 360? Hope we can make it to 100K before we need an overhaul!
Richard and Sandra

Birdsong
Explorer
Explorer
... also, Keep 'n Busy feel free to contact me - I'm no expert in these things but I'm already into my '78 Chinook a ways. Is yours a Chinook Futura? ~Scott in TX
Scott & Jamie
Wimberley, Texas

78 Dodge Chinook Futura

"Not all who wander are lost."

Birdsong
Explorer
Explorer
Hi New V'er, the Ride Rite bags were on when I got it. I just had to get it home, fix the hose ends and air them up. I can't even begin to describe the difference in handling & stability with 60 pounds in them. I have some installation instructions I'd be happy to copy for you if you want to see what's involved. Just get me an address to send them to. Current project is to fix the rotten floor under the water tank - I had to tear the whole kitchen out. That's ok - a great time to get rid of the white counters and fit a bigger cooktop & deeper sink.
Scott & Jamie
Wimberley, Texas

78 Dodge Chinook Futura

"Not all who wander are lost."

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
Cdog
Isn't it great how the old rigs give us so much fun without leaving the driveway?:) I spent near every weekend and evening in the spring and summer getting Harvey ready. The knuckles on my left hand have finally settled down from the repeated bashing during the tear out phase.:M Ants in the thousands were eating the wet wood and burrowed into the foam insulation :E

All the work really was worth it on the first solid and problem free trip. I can't say for sure but maybe its like childbirth?

This year I'm pulling all windows, hatches and doors to re-butyl or re-putty tape them. It's easier than I thought it would be.
Regarding your LOT in Life: Build something on it ... or park your Dodge on it.;)
Bill & Laurie

Cdog
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished replacing some 110VAC wiring and fixtures in the old gal. I have just pulled the floor out of the overhead and it was shot. Most of it was rotted out on one end and some mouse nests. I am going to pull the lower sidewalls and front wall next and then rebuild it. The good news was the fiberglass was in great shape.

22' 73 Diamond Class C

03 Crestliner LSi 2485

01 Dakota Quad Cab

63 Newman 17' being restored

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Birdsong.

I see that you have the Firestone ride right air suspension.
Did you add it to your rig? If so how was the installation and what did you notice after the fact as far as handling etc.?
Bill & Laurie

keep_n_busy
Explorer
Explorer
Recently purchased 1st motorhome. Basket case 18' 1977 Dodge 360 Chinook not abused but very neglected. Paid the owner to drive it the 200 miles over a mountain range to my home as I was afraid to put it on the open road! Well it made it but I don't know how. No emegency brake, oil and transmission dipsticks barely had oil on them, gages did not work, exhaust fumes inside would gag a cockroach and the back door was tied shut.The interior is comparable to the above discription also. But I like a challenge and this old girl will be put back on the road before the end of this year. Would appreciate hearing from any other "vintage" Chinook owners out there as I'm certain I'll be looking for suggestions on how-to??? :B

ksalmond
Explorer
Explorer
edgar... they (veh reg) couldn't verify my registration even by sighting the vin... bc/canada law asks for 2 sights... my 76 did not have it... but it went throught because previous registration had been approved... but heaven forbid i cross national borders
ksalmond

*1976 dodge tioga c class
*16 ft edson travel trailer that the gf took over as a studio
*old f-150 that's been running on 5 cylinders for 3 years
*dodge caravan that will never run again but i can't part with
*two cats, a plymouth voyageur the gf took over as her travelling advertisement
*and o, ya, a gf : ))

ksalmond
Explorer
Explorer
hi, i bought an old fbi stakeout van (1976 dodge) in cincinatti, ohio, in 1980... the fuel gauge never moved off 1/4 tank... i got rid of it 15 years later... and the day i did, a fellow in a gas station said... stuck on 1/4 right? i said right... he said, but it will never quit... you gonna have to give this baby away : ))
ksalmond

*1976 dodge tioga c class
*16 ft edson travel trailer that the gf took over as a studio
*old f-150 that's been running on 5 cylinders for 3 years
*dodge caravan that will never run again but i can't part with
*two cats, a plymouth voyageur the gf took over as her travelling advertisement
*and o, ya, a gf : ))