cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Hard Is It To Solo In A Class A?

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
So I've been primarily looking at Class Cs under 26 feet mainly for the ease of driving and parking. But, I'll be full timing for a couple of years (or more) and the thought of having more living space and storage space appeals to me.

However, I'll be solo and am concerned about parking and backing by myself. The largest vehicle I've driven and backed was big Ryder box trucks but I always had someone to assist in guiding. Of course, there were no backup cameras.

Anybody here solo? Any issues? (I guess not if you're still doing it, right?)

Thanks.
43 REPLIES 43

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
When backing in the only help I need is when to stop in line for the hookups.
Before starting I disconnect the toad, look over the site, determine where I want the RV to end up and get out as often as needed and I have no problem with anyone watching. It is easier as time goes on. Once in awhile you will run into a challenging site but most of the time it is just not a big deal.

I worry a LOT more driving through places like Atlanta or very narrow construction zones I don't worry about my driving it's the idiots that you have to watch out for.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
My rig is 43 ft. But when I drive it I treat it like it's a 60 ft vehicle, especially when backing it up. When it comes to my rig I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to do anything that has to do with it's safety. That's my baby. LOL. So many a times I'll get out and assess the Slab, it's dimensions and the tree limbs (if any). If people are watching, that's alright, they can watch all day. If I back into something they won't be the ones paying for the repairs which would probably be in the thousands. Anyway, the DW usually gets out and TRIES to help. I've asked her many a times to stand in certain locations, where I can see her lil 5 ft frame, but she always manages to stand right in my Blind spots, so I gave up, I just use the back up camera and again, pretend I'm driving something that is 60 ft. So far so good.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
bobkatmsu wrote:
We have a 43' DP and tow a Jeep Wrangler. To back one in, while daunting would not be as concerning to me as trying to maneuver through traffic finding the right exit by myself, would be a much larger concern. Even with GPS, it takes two of us to get in the right lane, know the turns coming up and watch for traffic. I'm not a newbie and I know the fact that that we are over 60' long is a factor, but I can't imagine driving through a big city like Chicago or Atlanta for the first time by myself.

I have done about 50,000 miles by myself including Chicago a couple of times. Have not had an issue as of yet.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I back my MH in by myself at home around a corner and into a covered RV car port. I marked the ground with marking paint I adjust the mirror down and back around keeping the rear tire just inside the line. You can buy white marking paint at any big box lumber yard they use it for under ground locates. You may not want to mark up a nice driveway but it marks the dirt and just goes away after a while.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 43' DP and tow a Jeep Wrangler. To back one in, while daunting would not be as concerning to me as trying to maneuver through traffic finding the right exit by myself, would be a much larger concern. Even with GPS, it takes two of us to get in the right lane, know the turns coming up and watch for traffic. I'm not a newbie and I know the fact that that we are over 60' long is a factor, but I can't imagine driving through a big city like Chicago or Atlanta for the first time by myself.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
There are two of us when we RV, but when it comes to parking the coach, my wife does not get involved. The more comfortable you become, the easier it becomes. I eyeball the site, use my mirrors and camera to back in. The only thing that will be more difficult is prepping the coach at the campsite. I typically connect everything, put out the slides and then do things outside while my wife puts things out on the inside. You'll have to do both. If you keep the junk to a minimum, setup time will be short.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
A comment that I would have is that I have made and seen as many mistakes getting out as getting in. When you are sure that you are ready to leave get out again and walk around the rig one more time. Check any connections, stuff left behind, make sure that all windows are shut, the roof vents and antenna are lowered, etc. The more of hurry that you are the more important it is that you do this.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Yessir, the GOAL method (Get Out And Look) works well in nearly every situation.
Even when hooking the Jeep to the coach with the fixed arm towbar, the GOAL method allows me to do it by myself.
Forest Service campgrounds rarely have pull-through sites, so backing in is a necessity. My rear view camera and mirrors ensure that it can be done. As previously mentioned, practice is required. LOTS of practice!
The more you do it, the easier it becomes.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

C20
Explorer
Explorer
When in doubt, get out and look. I've driven semi's and straight trucks for years solo. None had back up cameras, just mirrors. When i wasn't sure i got out and looked and never had an issue. Much easier now, with a backup camera. The advantage to having the DW is that she can get out and look!!

You'll do fine.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
WAFlowers wrote:
The only time I have any challenge backing up my RV solo is in the dark with no overhead lights during a heavy rainstorm.

I don't even go there, even if I'm not soloing.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Jedidad wrote:
So I've been primarily looking at Class Cs under 26 feet mainly for the ease of driving and parking. But, I'll be full timing for a couple of years (or more) and the thought of having more living space and storage space appeals to me.

However, I'll be solo and am concerned about parking and backing by myself. The largest vehicle I've driven and backed was big Ryder box trucks but I always had someone to assist in guiding. Of course, there were no backup cameras.

Anybody here solo? Any issues? (I guess not if you're still doing it, right?)

Thanks.

you need 3-things...confidence that you CAN do this; humility to admit you need an extra set of eyes or help at times; practice, practice, practice...mostly thru experience.

I soloed in a 39 ft. class a for a couple years. I had no problems except backing it into my storage unit. I usually got one of my daughters to guide me in but did it alone a couple times. One time I backed a few inches too far and bent my ladder. At one RV park I usually had help from office. I would try to get a pull through.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in truck/trailer but the principles are the same - I work best solo. DW is only with me and some/all of the kids part of the time so I can't count on her to be there all the time anyway. Also, in an effort to keep us married, I don't have her help when she is with me.

Take your time, get out and look often, use your camera and/or cones. Of all the things that I worry about with RVing (and there are plenty), backing and parking are very low on the list.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
My coach is a 38' class A, and I now travel solo since I lost my Wife. My coach has a back-up camera which is helpful when using back-in spaces. I use pull through's whenever available.

I would recommend starting out with a 34' or 36' class A and set it up for towing a vehicle so when you're spending an extended period of time at any given location you'll have transportation to get around the area.

Best of luck with your choice of a coach and safe travels....:)
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
... no one has mentioned looking up for overhead obstructions...

Ditto
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV