cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch Mount Motorcycle AND bicycle carrrier

raudi1
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a Hitch mount (2") motorcycle/Scooter carrier that has a receiver on the outside to add a Bicycle carrier.

The other option would be to get the dual receiver adapter with a 6 or 8 inch offset and mount the motorcycle carrier in one and the bicycle carrier in the other with an extension.

Any help or creative ideas would be greatly appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For that kind of overhung load I'd consider towing a trailer.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperdave wrote:
raudi1 wrote:
Thank you all for your replies, it is a class v hitch on the back of my class mmh. It’s a 2013 sunseeker 25 on a Chevy 4500. I would like to use my existing Thule 2 bicycle T1 rack. I will be carrying a 200 lb Yamaha scooter and 2 bikes with total weight of 50 pounds plus the rack

Any additional insights with this added info?

Aside from hanging the bike rack off the end of a Versahaul (which would be questionable at best, imo) how about putting on a front mounted hitch for the bicycles, and keep the motorcycle on the back?

I'd recommend that you do it the other way around: Hang the bike off the back end using a hitch carrier and install a carrier on the front for carrying a motorcycle.

This approach will much better distribute the dead-weight and leveraged-weight of both items. A Chevy 4500 chassis under only a 25 foot motorhome will have no trouble at all with a motorcycle's weight on the front and steering control should not be affected either.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
raudi1 wrote:
Thank you all for your replies, it is a class v hitch on the back of my class mmh. It’s a 2013 sunseeker 25 on a Chevy 4500. I would like to use my existing Thule 2 bicycle T1 rack. I will be carrying a 200 lb Yamaha scooter and 2 bikes with total weight of 50 pounds plus the rack

Aside from hanging the bike rack off the end of a Versahaul (which would be questionable at best, imo) how about putting on a front mounted hitch for the bicycles, and keep the motorcycle on the back?
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
raudi1 wrote:

Are you sure you have a Class-5 hitch? This is not the same as the "V-5" rating which is quality standard. I'm only suspicious because Class 5 hitches for the Chevy Express chassis are very rare. Was your chassis modified for a class 5 hitch? Normally the Express 4500 is limited to a 3500# hitch due to the frame extensions, although some of the newer ones now have a 5,000# hitch.

If the frame was modified, and a proper class 5 hitch, the last part of the equation is knowing your wheelbase, rear overhang, and your current loaded axle weights. Since you have a relatively short coach, it might be doable, but will come down to your wheelbase-length ratio.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

raudi1
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What’s your C’s hitch weight limit? Don’t jump ahead.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Versahaul has a model with a 2" receiver on the motorcycle carrier.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
haven't taken a trip with it yet.
Bill and Joey the dog

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one from HERE and had a front mounted hitch installed so I could pull the 5th wheel. I have a 500 Harley that weighs about 600 lbs.
Bill and Joey the dog

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Most motorcyle carriers can be easily adapted to carry a 2nd bike rack too, if you're willing to use a 1-1/4" bike rack. The 2" tube used to built the motorcycle carriers is already the correct I.D., you just need to drill a couple holes through the side for the hitch pin. And depending on the profile of the inner seem-weld, you might need to smooth that weld out using an air chisel.

But.... as mentioned above^... What are you mounting this all on? A 500# rated hitch receiver cannot carry a 500 pound load on a hitch rack, because the load center is so much further back than a hitch ball. I typically figure on 1/3 to 1/2 the receiver rating. Adding a 2nd rack will apply even more leverage. You'd need a solid Class-5 rated receiver to double up on racks like you want to do. And then, you have rear tire capacity considerations, and may even remove too much weight from your front tires.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Strength and weight of the items carried is the key. Also integrity of the bumper or what ever it is riding on.