cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

High Mileage

Never_2_late
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 Coachman Freelander has about 30K miles. Really want to trade for a bigger one (mine is 25 ft minus drivers space) Looking for a 28-30.

It would seem to me that in the case of an RV higher mileage would be better since it indicates use. Nothing is more mechanically debilitating than lack of use. I take long trips and the mileage is majority highway.

If all else is in good shape will the mileage count against the sale? A TT for instance has no mileage and one cannot tell how much it has been driven.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
30k is really nothing for the chassis. However tires are probably getting close to replacement. Bigger issue is with the coach. Does it squeak and rattle? Has it been resealed every year? Putting on the miles will definitely accelerate coach maintenance needs, much more so than the chassis.

As far as the chassis goes, my E350 is at 445,000 miles and has plenty more left.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I'd buy a high mileage unit over a low mileage unit of the same vintage because, rust never sleeps.

I think TT's and pull behinds should have Hubometers on them....

Off topic, but I saw "Rust Never Sleeps" and had to go listen to some Neil Young
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Proper Maintenance is the key to a high mileage RV,if that is kept up then there should be no problem. Most newer vehicles will go over 200000 miles.

Take for instance Former Rentals most of not all have more than 100000 miles on them and with the proper maintenance that they get they are going strong with no or very little problems,there are more than 90 owners here that are happy with their RVs.

Try to look for one that you can verify the maintenance on it if you can,don't be afraid of that. All other things being equal.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
I've got about 150k on my 2001 ford van, haven't really done much to it beyond front brake issues. Probably need the plugs and belts changed. Used to tow a TT with it until I sold it and bought the motorhome. I still drive the van a few times a week. 1998 mh has about 75k and sat around for a while. Changed all 4 brakes, new tires, needs plugs, egr sensor, probably belts too. even one of the horns isn't working. Things I'd look at with high mileage would be wear items vs aging. steering, suspension, valves, piston rings, brakes, drive train, transmission. You're correct that sitting around is just as destructive as driving it sometimes.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I'd buy a high mileage unit over a low mileage unit of the same vintage because, rust never sleeps.

I think TT's and pull behinds should have Hubometers on them....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB