cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with 1998 Pace Arrow Vision Transfer switch

Cinikal
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, My buddy has a Pace Arrow Vision that the transfer switch apparently has failed. I have been told it was under the refrigerator but all see under there is 2 boxes. One has a fan attached to it and it seems to be a power inverter. The other box is marked "Transfer Delay Relay part# 00-00331-000 which is obsolete and has been replaced by some other part# 00-00568-000. But this is rated at 15 amps. I would imagine that the tranfer switch would be of a different higher rating am I mistaken and that is the actual transfer switch. Thank you for any help.
30 REPLIES 30

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My transfer switch is in a box mounted to the back of the AC/DC distribution panel. My converter is mounted to the floor behind the panels. 1993 Fleetwood Pace Arrow.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
FlintRVee wrote:
I know it's 3 years too late for OP, but I found the transfer switch in my '97 Pace Arrow Vision and maybe someone will find it useful in future.

It's INSIDE the distribution box under the fridge. If you remove the cover of the AC (left) side you'll see a circuit schematic that shows the transfer switch being in the box. It's BEHIND the 12VDC fuse block at the right.

Wow, never hear of that. The CONVERTER in the distribution box-- YES.

An ATS is normally close to where shore power comes into the coach-- one cable IN from shore power, one cable IN from Generator and one cable OUT to coach 120 VAC breaker box.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

FlintRVee
Explorer
Explorer
I know it's 3 years too late for OP, but I found the transfer switch in my '97 Pace Arrow Vision and maybe someone will find it useful in future.

It's INSIDE the distribution box under the fridge. If you remove the cover of the AC (left) side you'll see a circuit schematic that shows the transfer switch being in the box. It's BEHIND the 12VDC fuse block at the right.

In the '97 the circuit breakers are in vertical pairs. I bet the change to your '98 vertical stack of horizontal breakers is designed to make room and you'll find it on the left, INSIDE!

I didn't dig it out, but the front sheet metal is spot-welded together so you'll have to go in through the back of the box if you need to repair something. There are a few sets of wires, labeled "Gen set" and "Shore" connected using wirenuts. You could probably put a voltmeter probe into the back to do troubleshooting

Thanks to all of the contributors above! I totally thought it was the gold box and didn't notice the 13A rating.

Cinikal
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, That 30 amp receptacle is actually wired to https://imgur.com/a/mgYzbCnthis guy! Is it possible they just removed the transfer switch and just tied them together where the switch was. Tomorrow i will have to get in there and look.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
LAST, THIS POST SHOWS THAT WHEN YOU HAVE AN OLDER RV AND HAS MULTIPLE OWNERS, YOU CAN NEVER ASSUME THAT WHEN YOU POST ADVICE, IT WILL BE ACCURATE AS YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT PREVIOUS OWNERS HAVE MODIFIED ON THE RV. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Cinikal wrote:
Ok this thread is changing direction. Is it O.K. to continue as a lot has been revealed to me? I will explain! If I need to start a new thread let me know!

I just talked to the owner again and got some new information, he bought it off the son of a husband and wife who have since passed away. Son knew nothing about it. So basically the new owner knows less.

So the problem may have been solved but I am not sure at this point. According to the owner he was instructed to never connect shore power and run gensat at the same time. To me that means that they eliminated the Transfer switch and are running them side by side. Does this make sense? Am I barking up the wrong tree? It is raining cats and dogs here so I wont be able to test til tomorrow or Sat., is this probable? Also...Would having shore power connected affect a "shut down" gensat?

Edit: So..."Yes, it shows the 30 amp main transfer box and I would replace it." Doug is this what you mean? Should I reinstall it?

From your Pics, there is a 30 amp receptacle in one of your compartments, probably same compartment your Shore cord is in. I believe, they BYPASSED the 30 amp transfer box under the refer, because it probably malfunctioned and wired that 30 amp female receptacle in that compartment. When older units had NO transfer box, they installed that 30 amp receptacle and when you wanted Genset Power you just plugged the Shore Cord into that receptacle. The Rear AC runs direct from the 2nd 120 breaker on your Genset. If you download that Service Manual I sent you the link too, the LAST page shows your 120 electrical schematic. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, you should install transfer switch or you could install receptacle in leads coming from the genset, then manual plug the shore power cord into it. Second option was done for many years.
If you have two A/C units I would get a transfer switch.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Cinikal
Explorer
Explorer
Ok this thread is changing direction. Is it O.K. to continue as a lot has been revealed to me? I will explain! If I need to start a new thread let me know!

I just talked to the owner again and got some new information, he bought it off the son of a husband and wife who have since passed away. Son knew nothing about it. So basically the new owner knows less.

So the problem may have been solved but I am not sure at this point. According to the owner he was instructed to never connect shore power and run gensat at the same time. To me that means that they eliminated the Transfer switch and are running them side by side. Does this make sense? Am I barking up the wrong tree? It is raining cats and dogs here so I wont be able to test til tomorrow or Sat., is this probable? Also...Would having shore power connected affect a "shut down" gensat?

Edit: So..."Yes, it shows the 30 amp main transfer box and I would replace it." Doug is this what you mean? Should I reinstall it?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
RLS7201 wrote:
Your 98 Pace Arrow came with a Intellitec load sheading device ( no manual switching between front and rear ACs) and a 30 amp automatic transfer switch. It looks like there was a failure and the previous owner couldn't fix it properly and kluged up the system.

Richard

If the OP does NOT have the owners manual, here it is. I did not see the other pics he linked. Yes, it shows the 30 amp main transfer box and I would replace it. Doug

https://big.nyc3.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/revgroup/documents/pace-arrow-1998.pdf?mtime=20190830092...

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
would open up the box with the 30 amp receptacle. That "could" be where transfer switch was. Current concept, could indicate the genset feeds this receptacle, then shore power is plugged into it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Cinikal
Explorer
Explorer
So I just got off the phone with the owner that stated the transfer switch was bad. Now armed with new information from this forum, and now knowing that I have been trying to track down a non-existent switch, Here is what he said. The Past few trips were fine but then the genset stopped supplying house with power but shore power worked fine. and that now shore power is sometimes yes sometimes no. His thinking was a faulty, transfer switch. If there is no switch. How is power transferred? Where should I be looking? Faulty breaker? Thank you for your help I really do appreciate it.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Your 98 Pace Arrow came with a Intellitec load sheading device ( no manual switching between front and rear ACs) and a 30 amp automatic transfer switch. It looks like there was a failure and the previous owner couldn't fix it properly and kluged up the system.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
OK.
1. That Inverter was ADDED after the Unit was built. NOT OEM
2. You have 30 amp Shore service. 30 amp has 3 prongs 50 amp has 4 prongs
3. That 3 prong female receptacle box was NOT OEM. Odds are the original was broken loose and was replaced with the box you see. Still it operates the same, just has been repaired in 25 years.
4. You do NOT have a Transfer Box since you have that 30 amp plug in for the 30 amp Power Cord
5. The Transfer box under the refer is what I stated. Inside your RV should be a switch that switches between Front AC and Rear AC. That Transfer you found is what determines POWER to the Rear AC when the Genset is running. Either Genset or Shore when the interior Front/Rear switch is set. When the switch is set to front AC, BOTH Front and Rear will run Off the Genset. When set for Front AC ONLY the Front will run on Shore Power. When set for REAR, ONLY the rear will run on Shore Power as 120 power to the front AC has been disconnected by that switch.
HAVE YOU FOUND THE FRONT AND REAR AC SWITCH? Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I thought it had a genset.
Here is a new search for tomorrow. Try tracing the genset output toward the converter.
The shore power cord that plugs in, is it the same that you would plug into park pedestal?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow