cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hearing problem need wireless mic and ear piece

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure NONE of you older gents identify with this...LOL. In my motorhome or car, the decible reading is about 60 to 70 and i CANNOT understand my partner sitting 5 feet away.
I have seen this device on motorcycle couples who talk to each other-a mic and earpiece. Anybody else got it or need it ? LOL! What is it and where do i get it? Yes i wear hearing aids which only amplify the road and wind noise.

Please save my relationship with my sweetie before she runs off with some younger dude in a diesel pusher with a National Parks Pass! ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator
19 REPLIES 19

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not having a handy dandy co-pilot I listen to ham radio when Driving. Generally D-Star REF-030C but another radio is scanning local 70cm/2mtr repeaters Both Analog FM and D-star.

Now the 5100 has the OOMPH to be heard over road/engine/house noise
But ther 51A... uses a Heil HTH-I so I can hear.

Two ham tickets (tech or higher)
A pair of Icom ID-31A's or ID-51A's
A pair of HTH-I (the I stands for Icom by the way)
You good.

They are wired though.. Might add there is a BT option for 'em

Not only that but if you link to hotspots or a local repeater she can talk to you oh. say 5000 miles away like she was sitting beside you.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Handling improved. Mileage only if a tail wind. The biggest difference was noise level. Laminar flow improvement???

ksg5000 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
When I added Air Tabs the noise level in the cab dropped dramatically making speech at normal volume possible.

Interesting. The airtabs I have scene are located on the rear of the rig and owner comments are generally focused on handling and mileage. Any thoughts on why sound levels in cab are lower?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
cavie wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I'm getting a bad case of CHS (cant hear s...) and FWIW, my Dr. told me that (real) hearing aids are going to become an over the counter item in the future and that do so shold cause the prices to come down.
I'm hoping I can hold out that long.

That is not true for REAL hearing aids. That is just for amplifiers.
My hearing cuts off at the higher end of frequency's. I can stand right in front of our microwave without my hearing aids and not here the timer beeper which is 1 foot from my face. but I can hear the pile driver 2 miles away without them. I forget the frequency level that my hearing drops off. That is what causes people to not here some words being spoken. or hear some letters pronounced. It's not about the volume it's about what frequency you are not hearing. Only a hearing test can show this and no over the counter can fix it. Real hearing aids can amplify the higher end and cut down or out the lower end. Just like an equalizer on a stero. The more tracks the higher the cost. Forget about those $800 for two you see in the newspaper. I am on my 3rd set in 20 years at $1800.00 ea.The next step in hearing aids is gonna be blue tooth/GPS. Doc says I will be able to call him in MA from FL and he will be able to adjust my hearing aides from his computer.

You didn't read my post closely enough. I didn't say they are available. I said my Dr. indicated they will be available - as in they aren't yet. Also, I'm not talking about the toy things sold on TV and elsewhere. I am talking about real, programable hearing aids.
There is no reason they can't be sold in stores. Qualified professionals can test people and set up the new aids. I've been dealing with hearing aids for my disabled son for the last 30 years so I'm very familiear with them. I just paid $2K for his present set. They're a rip off. There isn't $50 worth of electronics in them.

New law goes into effect August 2020. Yes amplified hearing aids is what theyโ€™ll be known as. Biggest difference is not needed multiple visits and the price. This is in response to a growing rise in dementia which has a link to hearing loss.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Tom in Tulsa wrote:
I am getting my aids on line with Bluetooth for around $1600 for the pair. I take the test on line with headphone on and they program them for me.
This whole thread is interesting and i have gotten alot of info.

My sweety said there are 2 things that really bug her about me. That I don't listen to her, and some other sh!t she was rambling on about.....

:B:B:B
Only two things?
You're doing great!!

S

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting my aids on line with Bluetooth for around $1600 for the pair. I take the test on line with headphone on and they program them for me.
This whole thread is interesting and i have gotten alot of info.

My sweety said there are 2 things that really bug her about me. That I don't listen to her, and some other sh!t she was rambling on about.....
2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
When I added Air Tabs the noise level in the cab dropped dramatically making speech at normal volume possible.

Interesting. The airtabs I have scene are located on the rear of the rig and owner comments are generally focused on handling and mileage. Any thoughts on why sound levels in cab are lower?
Kevin

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
cavie wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I'm getting a bad case of CHS (cant hear s...) and FWIW, my Dr. told me that (real) hearing aids are going to become an over the counter item in the future and that do so shold cause the prices to come down.

My hearing cuts off at the higher end of frequency's. I can stand right in front of our microwave without my hearing aids and not here the timer beeper which is 1 foot from my face. but I can hear the pile driver 2 miles away without them. I forget the frequency level that my hearing drops off. That is what causes people to not here some words being spoken. or hear some letters pronounced. It's not about the volume it's about what frequency you are not hearing. Only a hearing test can show this and no over the counter can fix it. Real hearing aids can amplify the higher end and cut down or out the lower end. Just like an equalizer on a stero. The more tracks the higher the cost. Forget about those $800 for two you see in the newspaper. I am on my 3rd set in 20 years at $1800.00 ea.The next step in hearing aids is gonna be blue tooth/GPS. Doc says I will be able to call him in MA from FL and he will be able to adjust my hearing aides from his computer.

You didn't read my post closely enough. I didn't say they are available. I said my Dr. indicated they will be available - as in they aren't yet. Also, I'm not talking about the toy things sold on TV and elsewhere. I am talking about real, programable hearing aids.
There is no reason they can't be sold in stores. Qualified professionals can test people and set up the new aids. I've been dealing with hearing aids for my disabled son for the last 30 years so I'm very familiear with them. I just paid $2K for his present set. They're a rip off. There isn't $50 worth of electronics in them.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Due to my time in the service around airplanes and my career afterwards that included more airplanes and construction equipment, I have lost some of my hearing in certain frequencies. For instance in the lower frequencies, like thunder, I can usually hear it in the distance long before most others. Now with the higher frequencies, like when my wife speaks, I seem to have trouble hearing her. During our 56 years of marriage she has always been saying that I never listen to what she has to say so perhaps what I have is a genetic anomaly rather than a true loss of hearing. I'm afraid that if I use anything to improve my hearing in her speech frequencies that I will lose whatever excuse I have enjoyed for the past 50+ years. :B

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of neat accessories are now available for hearing aides..For your situation there is a small clip she can wear that will direct anything she says right to your hearing aids. With a remote control you have a lot of options. Also the TV sound can go right to to your hearing aids..I use these features and they work great..Just Google your hearing aids brand and see what accessories are available. Good Luck
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.sena.com/

Wife and I use this product. They connect to my hearing aid bluetooth.
They have different ways to to it. Best to talk to them. Very helful.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
This is the one advertised in the FMCA magazine .

http://www.eartec.com/Headsets/max4gs.html