cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hauling a Scooter

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Entegra Anthem and considering buying a Suzuki Burgman 400 Scooter. Weight is 400lbs. I also tow a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport.
I see all these carriers that mount in the receiver hitch and then you plug the tow bar into it and tow the car. Are these simply assemble, stick it into the receiver hitch and go or in "real life" are additional supports needed?
Any advice, recommendations on type to get or avoid is appreciated. Thanks for any input!
6 REPLIES 6

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Note: a Burgy is closer to 500lbs (and can top it with full fuel & two helmets under the seat)than 400! (I own a 2012 AN400A.)

However, I must say: it's an AWESOME ride! 😄

Also, like all scooters, it is very rear-heavy.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:

turbojimmy,
Well Sir, if you could post a picture or two of your undercarriage in that area, I might be able to advise. I've built hitches and all kinds of welding arrangements in that area. But, I'd have to see what you've got for "beef" back there to work with before commenting. And, one more thing, you might check your GAWR of the rear to see what your limit is on the rear axle and, then, take the rig out and get it weighed and see what kind of room you've got to play with.
Scott

Thanks! Here are some pics. The rig is 30 years old so don't judge :). The rust is cosmetic - it's solid. I've labeled the same piece of steel "A" so you can follow it from outside, underneath and to where it's attached to the frame in the 3 pics.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
I was thinking about this today. Wondering how I can bring my 500 lb. Nighthawk 750 with me without a trailer. My rig doesn't have a receiver, though, it appears to be a custom built (very beefy) hitch arrangement. Can probably bolt/weld a receiver to it, though.

I'm curious to see other replies....

turbojimmy,
Well Sir, if you could post a picture or two of your undercarriage in that area, I might be able to advise. I've built hitches and all kinds of welding arrangements in that area. But, I'd have to see what you've got for "beef" back there to work with before commenting. And, one more thing, you might check your GAWR of the rear to see what your limit is on the rear axle and, then, take the rig out and get it weighed and see what kind of room you've got to play with.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about this today. Wondering how I can bring my 500 lb. Nighthawk 750 with me without a trailer. My rig doesn't have a receiver, though, it appears to be a custom built (very beefy) hitch arrangement. Can probably bolt/weld a receiver to it, though.

I'm curious to see other replies....
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
X2 hauling a 500lb Triumph on a E450 class c.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
ricklord2001 wrote:
I have a 2013 Entegra Anthem and considering buying a Suzuki Burgman 400 Scooter. Weight is 400lbs. I also tow a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport.
I see all these carriers that mount in the receiver hitch and then you plug the tow bar into it and tow the car. Are these simply assemble, stick it into the receiver hitch and go or in "real life" are additional supports needed?
Any advice, recommendations on type to get or avoid is appreciated. Thanks for any input!

Well Sir,
Having carried a few different bikes and towed at the same time, I will advise you to do a bit of research on the various makes and models of carriers. "Versahaul" seems to come to mind. I've not used theirs but, I built my own. 400 lbs. is not all that much but, it's still a fair amount. I'm one of those that over builds something just to satisfy my own opinion on what's strong enough to carry that kind of weight and, be bouncing back there, on Americas finest roads.

Based on the fact that, many receivers need additional "tightening" components to lock the slider into a position that eliminates the rocking back and forth and, up and down. You can purchase a single receiver type carrier and, it will work but, again, it's got a bit too much flex for me. It's a preference thing. Many of the guys out there are satisfied with them.

Understanding that, setting up a multi-receiver carrier can have logistical problems, it will however, make the entire system back there, considerably more stable and, strong. Just some suggestions, hope this helps some.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND