cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had our catalytic converter stolen

Y-Guy
So this past Sunday our storage lot called and told me I was the lucky winner to have our Catalytic converter cut out by some wonderful individual that felt he needed it more then I did. I've looked at part prices online, but so far after 5 calls I've not been able to get an actual quote from any shop. Before I call into insurance, can anyone share an actual price they've paid to replace one in F-53 chassis?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
35 REPLIES 35

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I thought it was interesting that one of the most targeted vehicles for Cat theft is the Toyota Prius. As an ultra low-emissions vehicle, the Prius has a catalytic converter that contains more of the rhodium, palladium and platinum that render pollutants harmless. A replacement can cost as much as $3000.

Ours was cut off our Prius in our driveway overnight. $3500 quoted by the Toyota dealer...AND a 3 month wait for the parts. Insurance paid, and we sold to a "guy" that was willing to have his mechanic buddies lash something together.
Local cops busted a gang of 3 with a storage locker with over 100 inside. Not mine, however.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
Blackdiamond wrote:
ernie1 wrote:
Beware of any of the companies that sell replacements online especially if they're across the country and wants to sell you new replacements cheap. They will fit but if you have to have a smog check the printed numbers on the converter might show up as not an approved unit for the state in which you live.

Just went to storage Thursday to pick mine up to leave for a trip Friday morning. Started it up and and knew right away my cat was gone. Contacted the storage management and they said several have been reported. Referred me to a muffler shop, went in a 7:30 the next morning was out of there by 8:00 and $1700 poorer.

Gee… maybe they had one that was an “exact” match right down to the rough cuts. :B
RVing since 1995.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
Beware of any of the companies that sell replacements online especially if they're across the country and wants to sell you new replacements cheap. They will fit but if you have to have a smog check the printed numbers on the converter might show up as not an approved unit for the state in which you live.

Just went to storage Thursday to pick mine up to leave for a trip Friday morning. Started it up and and knew right away my cat was gone. Contacted the storage management and they said several have been reported. Referred me to a muffler shop, went in a 7:30 the next morning was out of there by 8:00 and $1700 poorer.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
Yup been there too. Not an F53 but a Workhorse chassis after all said and done just shy of $2600. Don't understand what they were thinking when they cut it off as the Workhorse chassis has dual exhaust and the converters were a mere 3' apart but they only cut off one. LOLOL Anyway my suggestion is don't let whoever is repairing it to put on whatever they want and call it done. Get the exact converter for your rig for the replacement. JMHO
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
you all had someone shoot up a school and out on $75K bond next day. Converter thieves don't need to worry as authorities don't want to be bothered

Sunburntzeus
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was stolen last week. They hit several storage places. I had comprehensive so insurance covered it with no problem. Seems to be a fluid process that hey are very experienced with nowadays.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Have you contacted your insurance company and if so, what did they say?

MrWizard
Too bad about your loss
You guys make be glad my old 97 has a resonator
And No Cat Converter
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wynnd
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to welcome you to the converter-stolen party. My repair was $2k for the mechanic-recommended Ford OEM replacement. Due to the theft rate, took about three weeks to receive the replacement part. Best of luck with your repair!
2007 Fleetwood Terra 34N X2 w/bunks

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
cptqueeg wrote:
My brother died stealing cooper from high tension lines to pay for his drug habit. He started taking the folks beer at around age 9-10, then coke, and then crack. He joined AA beat alcoholism and coke, but could not over come crack.

My family fought a war that lasted about 20 years supporting him, sending him to schools, doctors, visiting him in jails, and giving him places to live.

He served in the Navy, was a journey man plumber, owned a drain cleaning business, was an incredibly hard worker, but also had a gene or propensity to alter his mind. I can assure you he, and my family especially my father and the world would have be better off if he could have cured his addiction. Many people have similar stories and it hurts just a little that some feel they were not worth saving. He inherited the alcoholism gene (runs in the family) through no fault of his own.

Sorry for your loss. I’m going back to amend my less than sensitive comment. You are right. Many in those positions suffer from addiction.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
My brother died stealing cooper from high tension lines to pay for his drug habit. He started taking the folks beer at around age 9-10, then coke, and then crack. He joined AA beat alcoholism and coke, but could not over come crack.

My family fought a war that lasted about 20 years supporting him, sending him to schools, doctors, visiting him in jails, and giving him places to live.

He served in the Navy, was a journey man plumber, owned a drain cleaning business, was an incredibly hard worker, but also had a gene or propensity to alter his mind. I can assure you he, and my family especially my father and the world would have be better off if he could have cured his addiction. Many people have similar stories and it hurts just a little that some feel they were not worth saving. He inherited the alcoholism gene (runs in the family) through no fault of his own.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
bgum wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
bgum wrote:
All electric cars will cure this problem but the slime will find something else to steal.

What do you think the VALUE of Electric Car Battery banks are????? Thousands of dollars. Doug

Key statement: "But the slime will find something else to steal. "

On edit, I removed my insensitive comment. My apologies.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
bgum wrote:
All electric cars will cure this problem but the slime will find something else to steal.

What do you think the VALUE of Electric Car Battery banks are????? Thousands of dollars. Doug

Key statement: "But the slime will find something else to steal. "