cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM Trans Temp Gauge Install?

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in installing a temp gauge in our 6L90e transmission. Has anyone done this?
I'm struggling with where to place the sending unit. This trans doesn't appear to have a "test port" so, it looks like either I weld a bung on the pan or splice it in the return line.
Any thoughts or experience?

Gary
18 REPLIES 18

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
While I am unfamiliar with this particular transmission I know on others I have had in the past that I wanted to put a gauge on if it didnt have a port in the pan for it like a maghytec etc pan, or test port on the trans I would splice into the hot line using either a compression type fitting with a 1/8 npt port on it or just cut a section of the hardline out and replace with rubber line and use double hose clamps with a 1/8 npt fitting. Never had an issue doing it that way.

doing a very quick search similar to this but using the appropriate fittings whether barbed or compression or even if possible at the connection point of the hard line then there is no real "splice" in the line just have to find out what that connection spec is ie jic, npt, etc assuming there is enough space for the sender at that location which many times there is not.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=906
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK, Yeah I neglected to mention the GM dealer I worked with recently wasn't any help as the only "GM" solution is to enable the trans temp function in the information screen. Unfortunately, our particular configuration omitted this feature. I asked them to program it in but, they explained they could, or would, not do it as all they can do is reprogram existing functionality. They actually did this when they replaced the body control module and the instrument cluster... both of which we paid for! And even at that, they would not install the trans temp feature.
The nearest GM dealer that will work on a RV is 105mi from us.
Gary

Egor_sRV
Explorer
Explorer
On my vehicles, when I service the trans and remove the pan, I have always drilled a hole and welded in a bung hole to fit the sender.

Two things though: 1) make sure of position clearance so it doesn't touch anything in the trans, and 2) always put the sender in the pan, not in any return or send lines to the radiator. Only way to get accurate and true trans temp.

Good luck,
Egor
"Of all the things I have lost during my lifetime, I miss my mind the most."

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps check with a nearby GM dealership for assistance - it's a GM transmission.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)