cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator Issues

jlmeyer83
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 99 Fleetwood Bounder Ford V10 with an Onan 5500 generator. Recently we had the electrical panel above the fridge burn up. The panel was replaced and since then the generator will turn off at random times. The generator turns on just fine and runs very well when on. The time spans are different when it shuts off. It can be 10 30 minutes even up to several hours. It is always random. Also we can no longer run both AC units and the fridge together. This weekend we had the fridge on gas and it would still shut off with the AC units running. The only time it would not shut off is when the two AC units were on low fan mode. I have recently serviced the generator with new oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter brand new fuel pump and carburator. Any thoughts?
8 REPLIES 8

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
You have not given a time line of the repairs, but the repair should be suspect. Before you go trying to re-inventing the wheel, look on line for wiring drawings. If the gen will not carry the loads, will shore power? As others have said, the gen should carry all the loads with ease. Good luck and please get back what you find.
Wildmanbaker

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
jlmeyer83 wrote:
I’m assuming they wired something wrong after the fire. Everything was working fine before hand.

Move one of the A/C's to the other leg. Just swap with a smaller breaker on the other leg.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

jlmeyer83
Explorer
Explorer
I’m assuming they wired something wrong after the fire. Everything was working fine before hand.

jlmeyer83
Explorer
Explorer
The ACs are on two lines. Then gen will stay on as long as only one AC is running on low cool and the other is off completely and the fridge is on gas. Could this possibly be the generators voltage

jlmeyer83
Explorer
Explorer
The ACs are on two lines. Then gen will stay on as long as only one AC is running on low cool and the other is off completely and the fridge is on gas. Could this possibly be the generators voltage regulator?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd guess that the appliances are wired differently in the new panel. Perhaps something else is turning on and overloading one of the gen circuits and gen shuts down. HW or something else.

One usage of the 5500 gen was for the 30A rig on one leg for 1 A/C and the second A/C on the other leg.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Check to see if the A/C's are on different lines. L1 and L2.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Faulty/intermittent oil pressure switch?
2014 Allegro 36LA