cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generator auto start for charging?

togue
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2019 Winn. Forza 34T in FL this past Jan. and used it with shore power until we got home to ME in Apr. I never learned about turning off the batteries until I had it serviced this summer where dealer told me about those switches while replacing four batteries. We're now getting ready for a 3 night trip to a friends home and would like to use inverter (2000 Watt) and generator (6000) for some AC equipment like hot water heater, residential fridge, and possibly one of the AC's.
I just finished trying to read everything I think I need from the manuals about how to set up the generator so it will start automatically when the four batteries start to get too low. But I can't find that subject.
I'm also thinking about connecting a 120 ac extension cord at night for lights and TV. I'd welcome any friendly suggestions, thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
togue wrote:
We purchased a 2019 Winn. Forza 34T in FL this past Jan. and used it with shore power until we got home to ME in Apr. I never learned about turning off the batteries until I had it serviced this summer where dealer told me about those switches while replacing four batteries. We're now getting ready for a 3 night trip to a friends home and would like to use inverter (2000 Watt) and generator (6000) for some AC equipment like hot water heater, residential fridge, and possibly one of the AC's.
I just finished trying to read everything I think I need from the manuals about how to set up the generator so it will start automatically when the four batteries start to get too low. But I can't find that subject.
I'm also thinking about connecting a 120 ac extension cord at night for lights and TV. I'd welcome any friendly suggestions, thanks.

Your last question. Your RV is a 50 amp service RV. That means your Magnum Inverter/Charger, the BATTERY charger function is set up for 50 amp service. That means in normal operation the BULK Rate(this is the rate when 120 voltage is first inputed to the Inv/Charger), is usually pulling up to 12 amps AC current. It will usually NOT charge at that rate for more than 60 tom90 minutes, then it will go to float charge. That means running a long extension cord to the RV, odds are the House you are connecting too, THAT breaker will probably trip. So, you need to read the Inverter directions along with Winne's wall spyder control system to learn how to reset the Battery charge rate to probably 15 or 20 amp instead of the 50 amp it is already set at. This will drop the bulk load down to about 4 to 5 amps MAX. You just have to remember to reset it when you are no longer using less than 30 amp service. Doug

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Other than for A/C, recharging could be handled easily by solar. No start ups, no gasoline, no oil changes etc.
No need to unplug the transfer switch will automatically switch it over to the gen power and when you shut it off it will revert back to the plug 120v
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
According to your owners manual your Magnum 2000 watt Inverter/Charger does NOT have remote Gens start capability. You would need to purchase the Magnum Auto Genstart module and wire it in to your Genset and Magnum. Click the link to see what it looks like. Doug

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/automatic-generator-start-module

Bruce_Brown
Good advice on getting with Winnie to learn your MH. Replacing the batteries on a 2019 already is waaay too early IMO. We got (I think) 9 years out of the batteries in our current MH.

Probably cared for you should get at least 6-8 years out of your batteries without much trouble.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Automatic generator start to charge low batteries is not universal. On the RVs that have it, it would be builtin to the inverter-charger. No converter required !

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Other than for A/C, recharging could be handled easily by solar. No start ups, no gasoline, no oil changes etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
If you will have access to a 120v extension cord I would use that to plug in the rig all the time, not just at night. It should power everything you listed except the AC and possibly microwave. The extension cord will keep the batteries charged.
If you need the AC then unplug the cord and start the generator and it will run everything.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Call Winnebago, when we had a Winnie, they were always very helpful.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew